What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket, I thought I followed your suggestions on the paint. My memory may be off though. I used Rustoleum primer, gloss black, the bronze, then clear coat.
The bronze is Duplicolor HWP105 Bronze.
Amazon was the source.

I did that same procedure with a matte on my 1st gen’s wheels to get a darker bronze but with a matte clear. I did the same thing on the rollbar but it was much harder to get a lighter coat of bronze evenly sprayed on it so it ended up a little brighter.

*squatting with 950 pounds of steel in the back
49F4F397-7BD3-422F-BC81-8FBBB8BECEE7.jpeg

Back to 80 series stuff, I finished my oil pan gasket replacement. I figured I’d go ahead and do it just in case it happened to fix the leak that I’m assuming is the rear main as I’m dreading that job. I also tore down the front axle a couple weekends back for a full rebuild as they were leaving birf soup on the ground everywhere it was parked. I knew my axle shafts were grooved when I rebuilt it last so I bought new OEM shafts as well.

7E769ACD-5681-4A47-B59D-B0DE1F6F7416.jpeg

3DA5B2CF-6C9A-4787-9A28-8C04F0B45C17.jpeg

53065BF5-B45F-403D-8B47-7BA30817F598.jpeg

Then after removing the original axle shafts and pulling apart the birfs, I noticed this. The cracked side was on the long side and the other side wasn’t too far out from cracking because you can see wear that has created stress risers on the other side of these. New Longfield birfs just showed up, but now waiting on new c clips to install the axle shafts
FDCFB660-0590-4426-8F37-6A774A44ADBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Using some shared tracks from @Box Rocket 👍 👍 Did some product testing and wheeling with the "3 Amigos" and Pete from Santa Cruz

All rigs performed flawlessly after several days of testing in some of southern Utah's most scenic landscapes.

9C577166-0186-45EB-A4DC-40921BBF44AF.JPG
👍

Last edited:
Using some shared tracks from @Box Rocket 👍 👍 Did some product testing and wheeling with the "3 Amigos" and Pete from Santa Cruz

All rigs performed flawlessly after several days of testing in some of southern Utah's most scenic landscapes.

View attachment 2228875👍
Hopefully the Scenery did not disappoint. Some beautiful areas.

I'm better at acquiring vehicles than selling vehicles and my private parking lot (neighbor across the street whose house had been empty for quite a while) finally got sold, so my dad has been 'baby sitting' my 80 the last couple months. He got out to Sedona yesterday with my mom and sent me a pic, looked like fun! Hoping I can get up there in a couple weeks and do some wheeling with him.

Got a 4x4Labs rear bumper kit on the way, finally bit the bullet that I'd been putting off or quite a while. Probably going to order the transfer case crawler gear and some 5.29s shortly and then I'm hopefully done dumping money into it for a good while (famous last words).
IMG_7915.jpg

This photo seems like an interesting insight into how clean/dirty the rigs stayed with different flare or tire width setups. Maybe the difference was drivers and dodging puddles? Any insights into why your rig seems so much cleaner @LandCruiserPhil ?

Uneducated guess... and it's probably a combo of things...

I'd wager @LandCruiserPhil 's is the lightest vehicle in the pic.

This photo seems like an interesting insight into how clean/dirty the rigs stayed with different flare or tire width setups. Maybe the difference was drivers and dodging puddles? Any insights into why your rig seems so much cleaner @LandCruiserPhil ?

Speed;)

Hopefully the Scenery did not disappoint. Some beautiful areas.
Absolutely thanks again for the track. We only did the first loop due to the slush factor at 7500’. My Favorite trail was UTV #1 until this presented it self. The first guy would of been fine the next guy maybe not and with the risk of needing to return the same way we turned around.
D641845B-888E-4F0F-A938-1340733797E3.jpeg

B17BACD1-3D67-4DBB-AD8A-A811BA449D3B.jpeg

Finally got my rear shocks and springs on! I put the front half of the OME stock height kit on in late September, mostly because it had a broken shock and so it would stop jumping all over bumpy roads... I pulled the trigger on the rear half last week. Just finished it up today...
I added pics of the before, front done, and today.
9-23-19pre-front_springs.jpg

after-front_springs.jpg

after_rear_springs.jpg

I could have done it in a long day, but dumbass me broke all four sway bar bracket bolts, and then broke off an EZout in 2 of them. Turned my excitement into misery for about 3 days.

As soon as I got the bolts out of the top bracket for the DS shock, it collapsed all the way down on itself. It was doing absolutely nothing back there. It rides amazing now, and is effectively about a 2" lift from before.

295s are next! Those are 265s on it now.

I waited seven years for the magic dial.

In the meantime, I learned how to pick lines--I had a ton of fun without the lockers--I still traversed deserts, canyons, mountains, beaches, rivers, iced roads, blizzards, hail storms, haboobs, mud trails and only one time did I ever get stuck (giant mud bog, used my winch).

I am eternally grateful to @inkpot , @richardlillard1 and Travis? for all the work, here's a little of what they did:

1. Wiring 2. removed axles 3. rebuilt axles 4. installed 4.88's 5. installed rebuilt axles (locked) 6. new brakes 7. rebuilt fan clutch 8. etc., etc.

Am I looking forward to using the lockers? Hell yes!

Where's my cowboy hat?

Zona

IMG_1033.jpg

Last edited:
I waited seven years for the magic dial.

In the meantime, I learned how to pick lines--I had a ton of fun without the lockers--I still traversed deserts, canyons, mountains, beaches, rivers, iced roads, blizzards, hail storms, haboobs, mud trails and only one time did I ever get stuck (giant mud bog, used my winch).

I am eternally grateful to @inkpot , @richardlillard1 and Travis? for all the work, here's a little of what they did:

1. Wiring 2. removed axles 3. rebuilt axles 4. installed 4.88's 5. installed rebuilt axles (locked) 6. new brakes 7. rebuilt fan clutch 8. etc., etc.

Am I looking forward to using the lockers? Hell yes!

Where's my cowboy hat?

Zona

View attachment 2230367

I believe you left the cowboy hat in the backseat.:hillbilly:

@Stikboy9480 is Travis. I think he was eyeing your cowboy hat, so if it’s missing we know where to start looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom