Steering Rack question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Local Toyota dealer told me my only option was a Toyota remanufactured rack for my 2001. Price was 500ish after core return. Does this sound right.

Thank you. The wide range of knowledge and brain cells in Toyota parts departments is very frustrating.

Local Toyota dealer told me my only option was a Toyota remanufactured rack for my 2001. Price was 500ish after core return. Does this sound right.

Yes, its 'Sounds Right' for the dealer to sell you a Reman and charge you what it would cost to buy NEW. Sarcasm off.

Any number of places will sell you a NEW unit (shipped) for $540.00 or a bit less. So NO...'reman' is not your only option.

1582916995346.png

Your "Stealership" is trying to rip you off. My local dealer tried to sell me a reman and said the new was $858. I called BS on them and showed them pricing from numerous other Toyota dealers plus the recent Toyota price sheet. Don't let them install it (see my earlier post about the debacle I experienced when Charles Maund Toyota installed mine).

View attachment 2224330

Is this part interchangeable with the LX470? Is it safe to assume that most LC and LX470 parts are interchangeable, assuming that each respective vehicle has the part. For example, AHC if LC does not have, and LX has. Same year build LC vs LX470.

Also, I suspect that when we order this Rack and Pinion, we need to also order the new bolts and washers?

Thank you.

LX and LC can use the same steering rack.

It's blasphemy to some but I put in a new rack from Detroit axle. It's working great and time will tell if I made a mistake.

It's blasphemy to some but I put in a new rack from Detroit axle. It's working great and time will tell if I made a mistake.

Please keep us updated, very curious but optimistic here. Great Avatar image btw, history/aviation nerd here.

The rack is not leaking. But I have 234000 miles on it. It’s past due for bushing and rod ends and I would rather change it than have a failure on the trail. The dealer won’t be touching this.

sorry to hi-jack OP, but how long ago did you replace yours with the detroit? Any noticeable differences in build quality? It looks like they a remanufactured one? Does it come with new bushings? Asking because mine is starting to have good leak and need to replace mine soon too. I’d like to go OEM but I also have to go through and reboot the CV’s, new bushing, new tie rods, and new brakes, the price of items adds up quick. Looking to do a lift soon as well so trying to save some pennies where I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom