Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, ok to run, but *may* make a little noise (like a 60 is sound proof!) One of the gurus here has said he has filed stuff like that smooth and run it for years.

But I guess I'm a little anal about such things, too. I'd look for replacements cuz I'm an unrepentant perfectionist about mechanicals 🤷‍♂️

Those gears may be available from Kurt or Georg aftermarket OEM.

Yes, ok to run, but *may* make a little noise (like a 60 is sound proof!) One of the gurus here has said he has filed stuff like that smooth and run it for years.

But I guess I'm a little anal about such things, too. I'd look for replacements cuz I'm an unrepentant perfectionist about mechanicals 🤷‍♂️

Georg is looking for a matching used set, I’m going to file it and assemble as is and see what it looks like after.

Doesn’t seem like anyone manufactures aftermarket for 34mm gear sets. Only one gear is remaining from Toyota.... potentially a great reason to upgrade to 38mm case one day 😎

I’m pretty sure we (Cruiser Outfitters) have that gear in stock (new aftermarket Japanese or OEM), we stock just about every gear, shaft and fork for both 34 & 38mm cases.

@mattressking , out of curiosity how much do you think you’re into that Tcase with all the new OE parts?

@mattressking remember someone needing to fix a rig on top of imogene last year? Not worth it. Do it right. You can enjoy the beers better knowing it’s right.

4:1 gears if you’ve got a 38mm case.

Just let the money burn.

4:1 gears if you’ve got a 38mm case.

Just let the money burn.

Also available for 34mm case :D

Of course brand new 38mm cases aren’t hard to find either

73481488-50D8-44E3-8821-00A867BDD7BE.jpeg

I’ve seen one in person. A work of art.

It’s only money, right?

I’m pretty sure we (Cruiser Outfitters) have that gear in stock (new aftermarket Japanese or OEM), we stock just about every gear, shaft and fork for both 34 & 38mm cases.

@mattressking , out of curiosity how much do you think you’re into that Tcase with all the new OE parts?

Glad you asked. I used a new tcase as my baseline and I was just under by about $500. But with gear concerns, I can officially say that a new OE tcase is the best value, no question.

Now that I've said that, I decided to go the route I usually do and enjoy the ability to purchase new and order a new tcase. The remaining items that won't be used will be put up for sale :) Cost of gears and that I'd like to keep this truck going a long time makes a new tcase not seem too bad.

That said...I have a 34T mcnamara style gear I bought from you a couple weeks back thats still in bag...any chance I can swap for a later gear for a 38mm case @cruiseroutfit ?

Can't say I'm defeated, just anal and @ceylonfj40nut summed up my brain. To have a fresh assembly for longterm use, the new tcase comes in well under the cost of piecing it together.

To put things in perspective. Overlanded from South Africa to Switzerland through the African continent. Then Maryland to Alaska. Was about to hit the Pan American Highway. Single case transfer case. Semi float. This should serve you well no worries.

We know the owner. Become good friends. Never strayed away from OEM. Doing it right. He broke the whole rig down and put it back together to factory spec before he started his overlanding trip.

A509515B-399E-466A-8E28-DDC77E9B937A.jpeg

Last edited:
To put things in perspective. Overlanded from South Africa to Switzerland through the African continent. Then Maryland to Alaska. Was about to hit the Pan American Highway. Single case transfer case. Semi float. This should serve you well no worries.

We know the owner. Become good friends. Never strayed away from OEM. Doing it right. He broke the whole rig down and put it back together to factory spec before he started his overlanding trip.

View attachment 2218091

Exactly, couldn’t be a better spokesperson for maintaining factory standards. I don’t rock hop, I just want to get everywhere reliably.

Glad you asked. I used a new tcase as my baseline and I was just under by about $500. But with gear concerns, I can officially say that a new OE tcase is the best value, no question.

Now that I've said that, I decided to go the route I usually do and enjoy the ability to purchase new and order a new tcase. The remaining items that won't be used will be put up for sale :) Cost of gears and that I'd like to keep this truck going a long time makes a new tcase not seem too bad.

That said...I have a 34T mcnamara style gear I bought from you a couple weeks back thats still in bag...any chance I can swap for a later gear for a 38mm case @cruiseroutfit ?

Can't say I'm defeated, just anal and @ceylonfj40nut summed up my brain. To have a fresh assembly for longterm use, the new tcase comes in well under the cost of piecing it together.

Absolutely we'll swap it out!

Did you get the 'kit' from Kurt with flanges and new input gear, or will you reuse your current ones?

Did you get the 'kit' from Kurt with flanges and new input gear, or will you reuse your current ones?

Purchased elsewhere and already had bought new output flanges, but I did grab the ‘mcnamara’ style input gear from Kurt. Only change I think will be to the case hardware, I have new hardware and looks prettier than the black hardware it comes with.

Love the red safety glasses

Pending the input gear, I am all ready to roll. Took a deep dive and found a part number for a 1/4-19 BSPT plug. Call me anal, I figured why not make even the 5th hole plug oem, using what Toyota (I would think) would use for a plug, 90344-52003. Found it after hunting heavily, it's the Oil Galley plug on a 22R/RE. Then popped over to the Emory Outlaw open house again to chat with my buddy and check over his work ;) Always a treat checking out the shop and always a learning experience. A lot of impressive work done here. I'm terrible at photographs, there was a ton of beautiful 356s and later aircooled 911+ era cars scattered.

zxLKKMXl.jpg

X8oaDYtl.jpg

ANVd5fCl.jpg

8ShxG1Ql.jpg

HPMdMdzl.jpg

QtV43Uxl.jpg

Oe2M7XWl.jpg

yKHD8OJl.jpg

HpLo1Jil.jpg

iCG1ovwl.jpg

nyvchAGl.jpg

2IWypsBl.jpg