Events/Trails POSTPONED --- February 2020 ROTM - Saturday 2/22/2020 - Montana Mountain (Updated Details) (1 Viewer)

Which trail would you prefer?

• Montana Mountain - Gold Canyon

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Broken Arrow - Sedona

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Outlaw OHV Trail - Sedona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cracker Jack Mine OHV Trail - Payson

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am in

Count me in. Montana Mountain is a great run.

I am in. Most likely solo, maybe with a dog.

February ROTM Details (Updated Feb 17, 2020)

Date: Saturday February 22nd, 2020

Trail: Montana Mountain - Counter Clockwise - Stocker Friendly, Water Crossings Likely (<12 Inches), low risk of pin striping.

Agenda:

8:00am - Meet up at the Circle K just inside Superior city limits (1113 US-60, Superior, AZ 85173) to fuel up, grab snacks and roll call.
8:30am - Proceed to 33°16'59.7"N 111°09'55.9"W (Parking lot at 60/Arboretum Way) for air down, comms check and staging.

Comms: Having a radio is not required. For those who have it, HAM Radio (146.500 MHz) will be primary, if anyone has extra handhelds they might come in handy. I should have CB (Ch. 15) as well.

I would encourage everyone to use their rearview mirrors: If you lose sight of the person behind you, slow or stop until they are back in view. If everyone does this, we will stay together and ensure nobody gets separated from the group.

Plan: Have fun, don't get lost, make a few stops, have a trailside snack or some lunch, keep a leisurely pace and enjoy the ride.

Must Haves: Patience, this is my first time leading a run.

Roll Call:

I volunteered to put together the February ROTM and the best day for me is Saturday, February 22nd. I don't likely have time to do an overnight, so I have looked at some 1-day options I've been wanting to do or haven't done in a while. Certainly many of you have done these before, but I know some of the newer folks probably haven't. Also this is my first time leading a ROTM, so I'm not looking to get too crazy.

Montana mountain looks like a good trail and its close but I haven't done it before.

Sedona is obviously a bit of a hike, but if we got an early start, we could do Outlaw in the morning then grab some lunch and folks that want to tackle Broken Arrow could do that in the afternoon. Broken Arrow probably won't be an option for stock vehicles, I would expect 2"lift/32's would be needed for most, but I've only ever done it in my Range Rover.

Cracker Jack seems to be well reviewed and has been on my radar for a while but I haven't done it. Sounds like most of it is pretty tame terrain with about 3 miles of rocks and ledges at the end. Reviews indicate decent clearance and 4wd would be sufficient.

Any booger-eaters comin’ along? I may have my vehicle full; wife, 4 y.o. and 2 y.o.

Any booger-eaters comin’ along? I may have my vehicle full; wife, 4 y.o. and 2 y.o.

I'll have wife, 9-year-old, 7-year-old, and 5-year-old.
We are in.

Hoping we stop long enough at some point for the little legs to get stretched and little bellies to get filled.

NOTE: I'll have a handheld HAMM, but I'm not yet licensed. So I'll be able to listen only.

I'll have wife, 9-year-old, 7-year-old, and 5-year-old.
We are in.

Hoping we stop long enough at some point for the little legs to get stretched and little bellies to get filled.

NOTE: I'll have a handheld HAMM, but I'm not yet licensed. So I'll be able to listen only.

Then we should have a few of the prime numbers covered!

I'm probably out. you guys have fun.

Is this a rain or shine event? Weather Channel says 90% chance of rain in Gold Canyon area.

No dust. I'm down with that!

I personally prefer this trail in the rain. There are some sections of driving in the wash but it usually is reasonable in terms of flow and depth, shall see. Invisible boulders can suck though.

Graham and I are planning on camping.

Given the current forecast of rain all day on Saturday, we are now a maybe. I don't mind it raining, but an all day forecast of rain doesn't bode well for a 3 year old wanting to get outside and play. We'll keep an eye on the forecast and make a game time decision.

As it should be.
Who is camping?
I'll be camping Friday night at the dot just South of Happy Camp Road ~ two miles from the Circle K in Superior. Forest Land so no permits required.
33°17'45.0"N 111°07'34.4"W
33.295833, -111.126222

1582254361640.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom