2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got this repaired. Radiator failed at 59k miles, paid toyota 1kish for the replacement and labor. It does look like they improved the design. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, a radiator failure at 59k miles is disappointing.

View attachment 2215553

What year? And any idea where it spent most of it's life? (hot/cold climate would suffice)

Just for more data points.

2013, LC spent all of it's life in Las Vegas mostly highway mileage from and to California. I noticed the crack after my first off-road trip, assuming that's what did it in. I had no idea it was common issue, as i just purchased the LC in May 2019.

2013, LC spent all of it's life in Las Vegas mostly highway mileage from and to California. I noticed the crack after my first off-road trip, assuming that's what did it in. I had no idea it was common issue, as i just purchased the LC in May 2019.

You've now sorted out one of the very few common issues these seem to have. And yes the new part appears better designed so my gut is that it won't be happening in another 60k.

Glad you got it sorted.

Our 2014 just got dreaded crack! Noticed red fluid on the garage floor when I came home. Wife was out in the 200. I checked it when she got home.
Good news, well sort of. The platinum extended warranty is good for another 3,500 miles. Now to have it towed into the dealer.

0DFDE55A-77A7-4CB9-827F-717E2618B140.jpeg

Our 2014 just got dreaded crack! Noticed red fluid on the garage floor when I came home. Wife was out in the 200. I checked it when she got home.
Good news, well sort of. The platinum extended warranty is good for another 3,500 miles. Now to have it towed into the dealer.

View attachment 2217018

Glad you caught it! How many miles on the clock?

Do you have a lift by any chance? I'm in the process of getting my platinum warranty refunded, they denied the radiator repair due to my newly installed lift kit.
No lift. Just a little larger tires. Funny thing, I just got it back from the dealer for some other work.
Just need to set up towing to get it into the dealer. Will report what they have to say.

Unless you don't want the warranty after all, I wouldn't get a refund, I'd fight it. Complete violation of the M-M Act.

"According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Federal Trade Commission, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to installation of an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the malfunction of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use. That being said, if it turns out that an aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or was installed incorrectly, and said part causes damage to another part that is covered under the vehicle's warranty, the manufacturer or dealer does have the right to refuse coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says that the manufacturer or dealer must PROVE that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying any warranty coverage. "

Will Installing Aftermarket Parts Void My Vehicle's Warranty? at txtire.com

Dun dun dunnnnn.

A friend of mine looking at emissions-fixed TDI golfs was told he had to use the dealer for maintenance to keep the extended emissions warranty intact. He messaged me and I sent him the relevant text from Magnussen Moss.. he reported seeing what looked like a very uncomfortable conversation between the sales guy and his manager.

I wish more people knew about their rights with regard to vehicle warranties. The ignorance (no offense) of the average person on this stuff allows these dealers to keep being such scumbags.

I am a huge supporter of Toyota Platinum VSC (as well as other aftermarket exclusionary VSC's).

You can't use the word "warranty" because the word warranty implies "free". If you pay money for additional coverage's, that is a vehicle service contract (VSC).
VSC's are a good thing in most cases (exclusionary coverage in particular). I buy them on my cars because I see extremely high-dollar repairs all the time at my shop. I know how much engines, transmissions, and electronics cost. The price they are sold for would be open to debate on a different thread, but that's a whole different discussion.

The answer is strait forward. Toyota Platinum VSC will NOT void coverage for aftermarkets installed unless they directly effect the failed items. So oversize tires would not void the radiator, unless they could prove tires did in-fact damage the radiator.

I am a huge supporter of Toyota Platinum VSC (as well as other aftermarket exclusionary VSC's).

You can't use the word "warranty" because the word warranty implies "free". If you pay money for additional coverage's, that is a vehicle service contract (VSC).
VSC's are a good thing in most cases (exclusionary coverage in particular). I buy them on my cars because I see extremely high-dollar repairs all the time at my shop. I know how much engines, transmissions, and electronics cost. The price they are sold for would be open to debate on a different thread, but that's a whole different discussion.

The answer is strait forward. Toyota Platinum VSC will NOT void coverage for aftermarkets installed unless they directly effect the failed items. So oversize tires would not void the radiator, unless they could prove tires did in-fact damage the radiator.

Eric - I am going to be moving to the Midwest and looking for a competent dealer to work on my 14 LX. I’d drive out of my way to your dealership for bigger services like a radiator/WP replacement.

What’s your confidence level in your techs to make sure the job gets done right?

Eric - I am going to be moving to the Midwest and looking for a competent dealer to work on my 14 LX. I’d drive out of my way to your dealership for bigger services like a radiator/WP replacement.

What’s your confidence level in your techs to make sure the job gets done right?
Thank you, we would be happy to help. I could arrange pickup/drop-off with complimentary loaner for a large services. 100% confidence in any of my Master techs.

I have been monitoring my 2013 and at 86,000 miles noticed the beginnings of the crack forming. I Bought my Land cruiser late last year with 81,000 miles and was keeping a close eye on it.
Used this as an opportunity to also replace the radiator and its’ hoses, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, belt, and thermostat. So a new $300 radiator turned into a $1,500 repair job...at least now all I have to be concerned about is a new starter sometime down the road.
I cut open the old radiator and looked for any cracks on the inside but couldn’t see much.

D7728D54-9150-4BF5-B579-11EB018BF78A.jpeg

FE10CAF9-DAEE-444B-933E-8009949D786F.jpeg

I have been monitoring my 2013 and at 86,000 miles noticed the beginnings of the crack forming. I Bought my Land cruiser late last year with 81,000 miles and was keeping a close eye on it.
Used this as an opportunity to also replace the radiator and its’ hoses, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, belt, and thermostat. So a new $300 radiator turned into a $1,500 repair job...at least now all I have to be concerned about is a new starter sometime down the road.
I cut open the old radiator and looked for any cracks on the inside but couldn’t see much.

View attachment 2232163

View attachment 2232164
This is valuable, however, if I understand the issue correctly, this means it’s cracking from the outside in, not the other way around. Conditions inside the radiator remain stable. Weathering, heat, cold, dryness, etc create the issue from the outside in. Pressure ultimately makes it collapse but the fracture has to be in place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

This is valuable, however, if I understand the issue correctly, this means it’s cracking from the outside in, not the other way around. Conditions inside the radiator remain stable. Weathering, heat, cold, dryness, etc create the issue from the outside in. Pressure ultimately makes it collapse but the fracture has to be in place. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The stress riser is located on the exterior of the radiator near the extruded portion. That does not mean that the repeated thermal cycles the unit experiences inside does not affect the outside.

Here is a cutaway of mine. 2010 LX with 107k miles. I had a faint crack on the outside, but cannot see anything in that position on the inside. However, there is a thin line at the top of the riser (on the inside) which does not show up on the outside. Full disclosure, I did use a screwdriver to pry the piece off and it looks like the "bubbly" looking stuff cracked (third photo) so perhaps that is what I am seeing. The stuff may be coating the inside and therefore covering any cracks in the plastic. It's interesting looking. Kind of looks like multiple layers of bubbles frozen in ice.

IMG_2069.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom