Back Window Ground - Gen1 4R (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Ok gents, I need some help. I was packing up to go play this morning and my back window decided to stop working. It went down, but now I can't get it up. I'm going to check all the usual stuff, relay, switch, etc. But, the ground is labeled "Located on the center of back panel." Anybody have an idea specifically where this is?

Maybe check the infamous switch on the removable roof bolt?

That isn't it.

After all the fussing, it appears that if I roll up the window too hard/far, it kills power to the relay. I don't see anything in the wiring diagram that would tell me why.

When I hotwire the motor the window goes up and down. If I roll the window down just a tad, leave the motor disconnected, and hit the dash switch I can hear the relay kick in both up and down. If I roll the window up hard, I don't get the clicks from the relay.

I'm stumped. At least the window is now up and the truck is secure.

OK, just an idea. That is weird.

Seems similar to one of the windows in a Highlander I had at one time. Window would happily go down, no problem. Going up? Not so much. It would go up 2-3" at a time and stop. Then sometimes not at all. A new motor from Amazon fixed it.

Something is killing the power to the relay. I noticed the shell flexes pretty good when it gets to the top. I'm starting to think it's the kill switch in the wiper. I think it's flexing enough to maybe tweak something.

Could it be a voltage drop due to corrosion of some connection?

Unplug the wiper harness and see if it stops
Yep, going to try that. I also see a window limit switch on the wiring diagram. I didn't see it yesterday. I will check it out too.

I don't want to be that guy. That fella that posts up a question, takes a lot of suggestions, then does a drive-by and disappears. So lucky you, I have an update.

After lots of analysis paralysis, thinking the worst, hating the idea of working on *yuck* something electrical, posting up someplace else for help (I feel dirty), over studying the wiring diagram, and waiting for the weather to warm up … I think I have an answer.

Suggestions, in addition to the above included:

Make sure the window wiper is all the way up
Unplug the wiper harness and see if it stops

Ya, my wiper doesn't park correctly, and I need to bump it to park. Tried this. Didn't solve the problem.

I started checking the assorted switches. Dash switch. Cover top switch. Limit switch. Door lock detection switch … oh, wait.

I have to push below the middle of the window and it goes up
Gosh, I've had to do this a time or two. So, unplug the switch, insert a paper clip to ground the harness, bypassing the switch.

SCHAZAM!

Since this was posted someplace else, I will also post here. I was about to go this direction, especially since my tailgate switch hasn't worked in years. Someday I just might make this harness, but for now, I'm good.

rear window rewire.jpg

About a year ago my rear window wouldn't go up using the in-cab switch, but would with the key. I looked at the switch and noticed some corrosion on the pins. I cleaned it up and works again. This is why I suggest looking at all connections for corrosion and/or looking for voltage drops in the system.

I did a jumper wire between the pins on the connector to the interior switch in the console. It bypass all the safety features (windshield wiper position, hidden long bolt/switch for the hard top, and the rear window will roll up or down even with the top off or the tailgate open). I just got tired of the window not working intermittently and at the worst moments. I did it as a temporary fix on my 87', but it's still like that 3yrs later lol.
Screenshot_20200220-102451_Gallery.jpg

^not my pic, borrowed from pirate4x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom