98-2005 Landcruiser DEPO 1 piece clear head lamp Interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would also like a smoked set

interested in a smoked set when available

Shipment came in yesterday, in stock ready to ship. =)

Has anyone successfully put LEDs bulbs in these? I had ordered replacement LEDs for my glass headlights awhile back but never installed. I realized during install of the depot's that these bulbs are different. Just went through this entire thread and didn't see any mention of direct LED bulb replacement. Maybe I've missed it in another thread?

Has anyone successfully put LEDs bulbs in these? I had ordered replacement LEDs for my glass headlights awhile back but never installed. I realized during install of the depot's that these bulbs are different. Just went through this entire thread and didn't see any mention of direct LED bulb replacement. Maybe I've missed it in another thread?

I have! My 1999 LandCruiser was a bone-stock basically bone stock "mall mom" car when I bought it a few years ago, EXCEPT it had Denso Headlights installed. I understand it had been in a minor fender bender and these are just what was randomly installed by the bodyshop, probably because of their price. Since then I've built the truck into an expedition-worthy family adventuremobile. But the lighting, even with expensive halogen bulbs was always insufficient and too widely diffused for my tastes.

I ended up installing LEDs into the Low, High, and marker light positions. The big LED bulbs just barely fit and required some modifications, plus larger rubber bulb caps/dust covers. Here's what I ended up buying and installing:

Low Beams LED bulbs
High Beam LED bulbs
Marker bulbs
Dust Covers

Having said all that, and spent about $200 on LED bulbs, and after also experimenting extensively with HID lighting set ups in my Densos, I remain dissatisfied with my lighting! In addition to all this, there are some fitment issues on the driver's side between the headlight housing and the battery -- LED lights are simply really really big where they stick out of the back of your headlights, and I did do some modification to make it all fit..

HOWEVER, I have recently discovered the idea of taking apart my headlight assemblies (removing the 'glass' from the front) and retrofitting HID projector lenses. It looks like it would cost about $300-$350 to add one set of projector lenses into my Denso headlight housings' low beam slot," and I am now convinced that nothing else can compare to its lighting output. I am even considering replacing both the low and high beam bulbs in this manner -- with two sets of retrofitted projector HID lights. From what I've read the Morimoto D2S 5.0 Projector Retrofit Kit has become the industry standard, and there are several online vendors who have created extensive video walkthroughs that explain every step of the process in easy to digest baby-bites. Like this one on YOUTUBE.

Here are some forum threads discussing the details of doing this into a Lexus 470.

HID H1 Bracket and Projector Install Guide
LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET - page 29 is a good one.

There is a lot of discussion because the lexus headlights are significantly different (smaller) and getting it all to fit is a real issue. A user, Luke111, made some slick adapter plates, but our Trucks don't need the plates for the retrofit projectors to fit. Luke has also opened a store selling all these parts at a competetive price, he's a forum member, and seems to be a straight-up good person:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have been using DDM Tuning's Saber LED lights (low beam only), and I've been really satisfied with them. I tried several "ultra bright" LED bulbs off of Amazon, and although they all put out a tremendous amount of light, they just didn't seem to produce usable light (e.g., the light went most everywhere.....except down the road) For whatever reason, I have found the Sabers to be different. I'm not sure what's different about them (they DO have a small shield in front of one of the emitters, but I don't know what that does for them), but they just seem to work MUCH better than the others......and like Amazon, if you don't like them, you have 30 days to return them.

FWIW, I had a 1st gen Sequoia with Depo headlight housings and Saber LEDs. Absolutely the best headlights I've ever owned.

Just a suggestion.................................

One happy customer here. Gave the front end a nice aggressive facelift.

IMG_5245.JPG

I pulled the trigger and am installing (retrofitting) Morimoto D2s 5.0 projectors in my DEPOs in my 1999 LC. My DEPOs are these plastic-lensed ones with side-by-side high/low beams, not the stacked-beam, glass-lensed ones. There's a question at bottom of post about replacement lenses.

After experimenting with a series of very bright LED bulbs in my DEPO headlights I did not like how beam pattern was all over the place -- even though they really were quite bright, the light wasn't where I needed it. I was also concerned I had become "THAT GUY" everyone hates with stoopid-bright headlights blinding oncoming traffic; over-lumed with a crappy beam pattern makes it so NOBODY can see the road.
In the end I was unhappy with even the brightest LED bulbs I could find.

So I am currently installing a set of (x4) "Bi-Xenon Morimoto mini D2S 5.0" retrofit projectors in my DEPOs -- two projectors in each DEPO, four total. (I made my own dual-fused, dual-relay plug-and-play wiring harness, and I am including a toggle so I can use only 2 projectors at a time for urban driving, or turn on all 4 in more rural settings... again, I really don't want to be that asshat with too bright lights; or rather, I'd like to choose when I get to be that guy...) I consider myself an above-average fabricator and as a former Porsche, Toyota, and Honda Service manager I'm also a decent auto tech, but this project has been one of the more difficult I've taken on in a while -- it's proven to be quite difficult to get all 4 projectors aligned correctly! I mean, if I didn't really care about getting it perfect, then it all could have been installed in an afternoon. OR if I was only installing ONE set of Morimotos, then that also would have been super easy, but that beautifully perfect crisp cutoff line from all four lights' beam pattern just begs to get them all pointed the exact same way! I ended up deciding to build up the back of each reflector with 'quick steel' epoxy putty, then carefully machined each one into correct alignment. It's been quite a pain, but I think the effort will be worth it. I am on day 4 of fiddling with it and am finally am almost done. I'll share some photos later. Again, for whatever it's worth, only installing one retrofit projector in each headlight housing would be much, much, much easier!

Ian/ Ranma21,
Are there replacement lenses available for these DEPOs, headlight part number D12-1103L & D12-1103R? Mine have not aged especially gracefully, and it seems to make sense to replace the clear plastic lenses with fresh ones while they're apart. I mean, they will be fine for a while, at which point if I really need to I could just buy new headlights and steal their lenses, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Or are there glass lenses somehow available for these lights? At this point I feel somewhat committed to sticking with the lenses and housings I already own.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and am installing (retrofitting) Morimoto D2s 5.0 projectors in my DEPOs in my 1999 LC. My DEPOs are these plastic-lensed ones with side-by-side high/low beams, not the stacked-beam, glass-lensed ones. There's a question at bottom of post about replacement lenses.

After experimenting with a series of very bright LED bulbs in my DEPO headlights I did not like how beam pattern was all over the place -- even though they really were quite bright, the light wasn't where I needed it. I was also concerned I had become "THAT GUY" everyone hates with stoopid-bright headlights blinding oncoming traffic; over-lumed with a crappy beam pattern makes it so NOBODY can see the road.
In the end I was unhappy with even the brightest LED bulbs I could find.

So I am currently installing a set of (x4) "Bi-Xenon Morimoto mini D2S 5.0" retrofit projectors in my DEPOs -- two projectors in each DEPO, four total. (I made my own dual-fused, dual-relay plug-and-play wiring harness, and I am including a toggle so I can use only 2 projectors at a time for urban driving, or turn on all 4 in more rural settings... again, I really don't want to be that asshat with too bright lights; or rather, I'd like to choose when I get to be that guy...) I consider myself an above-average fabricator and as a former Porsche, Toyota, and Honda Service manager I'm also a decent auto tech, but this project has been one of the more difficult I've taken on in a while -- it's proven to be quite difficult to get all 4 projectors aligned correctly! I mean, if I didn't really care about getting it perfect, then it all could have been installed in an afternoon. OR if I was only installing ONE set of Morimotos, then that also would have been super easy, but that beautifully perfect crisp cutoff line from all four lights' beam pattern just begs to get them all pointed the exact same way! I ended up deciding to build up the back of each reflector with 'quick steel' epoxy putty, then carefully machined each one into correct alignment. It's been quite a pain, but I think the effort will be worth it. I am on day 4 of fiddling with it and am finally am almost done. I'll share some photos later. Again, for whatever it's worth, only installing one retrofit projector in each headlight housing would be much, much, much easier!

Ian/ Ranma21,
Are there replacement lenses available for these DEPOs, headlight part number D12-1103L & D12-1103R? Mine have not aged especially gracefully, and it seems to make sense to replace the clear plastic lenses with fresh ones while they're apart. I mean, they will be fine for a while, at which point if I really need to I could just buy new headlights and steal their lenses, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. Or are there glass lenses somehow available for these lights? At this point I feel somewhat committed to sticking with the lenses and housings I already own.

Unfortunately no replacement lense is available from Depo or any lamp manufacturer I am aware of. You will have to either refinish yours or complete lamp replacement.

Is there a smoked black set available for a 2007 LC?

thanks,

todd

Is there a smoked black set available for a 2007 LC?

thanks,

todd

Hey Todd,

Unfortunately it is only available for 98-05 model LC.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom