Hood latch or cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hood won't close and the release won't snap back. I can remove the hood latch to pull the cable taught, reinstall, and close/release the hood...but it only works once. Is the spring in the latch not moving the cable properly or is the cable stretched out?

Either the spring in the latch, or more likely just rust/dirt gumming up the mechanism. Try cleaning/lubricating until the latch moves easily. (that's the cheapest, easiest first step anyway)

Thanks. Any recommendations on the best way to clean and lubricate it

Block around the mechanism for splash / overspray. Wd40 is a great cleaner. As is walmart purple power or castrol super clean ( dilute the castrol)

Spray the shiit out of it, let it sit a bit and then hose it off on jet. Let it dry over night or so depending on location ( southwest, an hour or two, given summer heat) and lube with teflon.

This would be my first run option.

Last edited:
How did this end up working for you? I have the same problem and it's quite frustrating.
I had to change out the cable to resolve my issue. It was stretched out, but easier to replace than I expected. The hood latch continues to get caught up every now and again but works fine if I keep it greased up.

Sounds like it's the trigger arming that was the problem. Odd a stretched cable would have caused that. Yes, keep it all well lubed. You don't want to be in a situation where you can't open the hood any more... See a thread of mine out here someplace.

I had to change out the cable to resolve my issue. It was stretched out, but easier to replace than I expected. The hood latch continues to get caught up every now and again but works fine if I keep it greased up.
Thank you - for some reason I remembered the prices being astronomical...but the latch assembly and cable can all be had for around $85 or so and I could do it myself. Running the cable will take some patience, but nothing too difficult I hope.

In hindsight, I wish I changed the latching mechanism at the same time but I found the release cable for about $30 and decided to start with that (being cheap). I’d do both for $85 and never worry about a stuck hood again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom