Ladder Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question to anyone that has a gobi rack. Is it sturdier and stronger than modular racks such as front runner or prinsu? Or are they about the same?
All the same, so no worries on strength being a deciding factory.

Front runner makes one as well. I don’t own it but does seem to have slimline II compatible attach points.

My Frontrunner rack is pretty far back, and I didn't have to adjust it for the Gobi ladder. If there's still daylight when I get out of work I'll measure and snap a couple pics. Here is a basic view though:

89we7M8BWiQaBW4W5gJ6gJrIQKM4YuixkZ9n5Zo9GVg8lHGnQtp_KUlZZas-9_CZWeray1dv-3hoMQ4_4P_thSGrrW6YsR4Ki5nd0FdqlKIqenM-FI2L32VsY1DFYoF_OMRoYXx2ijJ8rlq1oBLKyLe84gRcfsfXen95cmhEI5rwDXLWSC6NlSi81sWHrkUoBSXyn4uLQeMcAKkhrt_s7aecliM6LHTqjK0_MEx6dIfL3unm7j-Qyk0feJbkYb0ZqVickYQTCsM6gizzl01LIN5SaMe42dDBrMKyDYOMpy184KFU56B_6JMcyk1JwbFxwtSUaEL7eq7x5p7Li9KZlQfhRFItjiDSHIsNJUkVq_EkN8c33WERvmcnAd4aoJiMDm3DOZKwKKY1OaCWAk5Nftz9n8NQx9QV9lLC4PiZVzH6AQ3lkXAd3u5PERE58_vUD8EMecSPhFxsv1bAOPjJmo6dow9e2CJYU71S114V4z7dpuSOPLJSa-OQbEbmQcyzArqubKS_tDcUculpbHOxOwei0mjpSVJFM1zre7qYgyRPidqkgdHiwtNfK_Yker_Mq1vjKWDuhHIL-zaMaWDjpPwMw1S6OecWrdjGBaAF0D4RStkW6Uff49dtF_I5_8-CZvP7RsL4F3ihtNDamhAe3ohN94C0lxyL_ifQxBbk8Q=w1299-h974-no

Rack looks great. I think it'd look even better if it had some legs that "floated" down further, towards the rear bumper, perhaps not touching but it'd be a nice additional step or two. I sent a message to Gobi Racks via their instagram. Hoping to speak to one of their techs since they say these are made to order. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to weld to legs and another step bar below that last latching point. Otherwise it seems like a pretty high first step!

Only reason I had this idea is because I really like the look of the gobi ladder on the 4Runners which cover the entire back side. Obviously this Land Cruiser variation is a result of the dual-door trunk system. Either way, I'll be sure to share what I hear back from them!

CBI option fwiw. I'm not sure if they plan to make this a production offering but this is from the Lexus J201 Concept build.

20200918_135122.jpg

I read this thread a year ago and also had trouble finding a ladder rack combo that would fit my needs. Tim at Gamiviti came through with a custom rack.
Gamiviti Rack + Gobi ladder. Works like a charm.
Hats off to Tim, all the stuff he makes is awesome.

20210508_130531.jpg

20210508_130502.jpg
20210508_130522.jpg
20210508_130434.jpg

Capture.jpg

I read this thread a year ago and also had trouble finding a ladder rack combo that would fit my needs. Tim at Gamiviti came through with a custom rack.
Gamiviti Rack + Gobi ladder. Works like a charm.
Hats off to Tim, all the stuff he makes is awesome.

View attachment 2740429

View attachment 2740427View attachment 2740428View attachment 2740426

View attachment 2740430
Do you like that grid portion now that u got it? Is that what he calls the basket? Is it useful? Also I agree. Tim is one of the most knowledgeable dudes I've talked to. Very honest. Very informative. Doesn't try to over sell you.

Love my Gamiviti. Tim built it is March and helped me install it in May when I was in Colorado to visit family. Instead of the grid option I went with the plastic "pergola" floor thing that you can snap on when you need them. I keep the rearmost "pergola" on all the time and added a few zip ties to make sure it stayed put in extreme wind situations. I have 2 more sections - enough to cover the whole roof - for when I want to use it as a platform to stand on (for photography). Time also helped me install the MaxTrax holders he makes on the crossbar just behind the sunroof and we did a quick mod to that one pergola piece so it could all fit. This was an on the fly mod while installing. Tim was awesome!

Since I use a Gobi ladder Tim also made that adjustment to the rearmost crossbar to accommodate the top of the Gobi ladder. (As for the Gobi ladder, I had to order the new version for the auto-open lift gates like I have on my new 2021. I will be selling the Gobi ladder I had on my 2016 which will not work with the auto-open lift gate model 200 series.)

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

IMG_4188.jpeg

Do you like that grid portion now that u got it? Is that what he calls the basket? Is it useful? Also I agree. Tim is one of the most knowledgeable dudes I've talked to. Very honest. Very informative. Doesn't try to over sell you.
They call it the 'grid floor'. Tim said the drop basket adds a bunch of weight. I do like that it adds some more lashing points and protects the roof from stuff you put up there. Would definitely get in the way if you ever want to mount a tent up there though...

Hmmm, I ordered a Gobi ladder for my LX570 but am now a little worried it won’t clear the roof rack. The ARB rack does not seem to be adjustable front to back- not to say it couldn’t be modified to fit, but it would take some effort and be a bit of a drag.

@mcgaskins any vertical measurement available between the roof of the truck and the “GOBI” flange at the top of the ladder, when in the open position? Maybe the ladder flange will sit below the roof rack.

6B090F22-B4C5-4D92-9E25-FF3F8CD76A81.jpeg

6B090F22-B4C5-4D92-9E25-FF3F8CD76A81.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I ordered a Gobi ladder for my LX570 but am now a little worried it won’t clear the roof rack. The ARB rack does not seem to be adjustable front to back- not to say it couldn’t be modified to fit, but it would take some effort and be a bit a drag.

@mcgaskins any vertical measurement available between the roof of the truck and the “GOBI” flange at the top of the ladder, when in the open position? Maybe the ladder flange will sit below the roof rack.
It sits pretty level with the fin. Check it out.
20211128_220516 (Medium).jpg

20211128_220534 (Medium).jpg

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Will check my truck tomorrow but I assume I’ll need to modify my rack to move it foreword, to accommodate the ladder. Appreciate it.
Did they release a LX ladder?
If you got the 200 one, you’re going to have other issues. I think you’ll have to modify (flatten) the top bracket, and you might have some interference with the camera if I remember correctly.

Did they release a LX ladder?
If you got the 200 one, you’re going to have other issues. I think you’ll have to modify (flatten) the top bracket, and you might have some interference with the camera if I remember correctly.
No, no LX model available that I’m aware of. No option on the website, and in my searching thru forums I didn’t come across any mention of a Lexus option. I’m aware of the other issues/modifications to the ladder that are required, but I had not anticipated that my rack might be the pinch point…

They call it the 'grid floor'. Tim said the drop basket adds a bunch of weight. I do like that it adds some more lashing points and protects the roof from stuff you put up there. Would definitely get in the way if you ever want to mount a tent up there though...
So sorry, @YellowDoor! I have not been paying much attention to MUD over the past few months. Yes, I like the "grid" but I would call it a platform rather than a floor. There are not sides or bars around it. It sits on top of the rack. Note that I did choose for my Gamiviti rack to be in the "Expo" orientation which has the side rails pointed down. But as a platform I really like it. Much more useful to me than the grid floor of my previous Gobi rack. In the case of the Gobi rack floor the "holes" are smaller and in a "diamond" shape and I found them difficult to work with though they are welded to the Gobi rack. With the Gamiviti "grid" they sit on top of the rack and are secured with small metal clips. I'm not comfortable with the clips alone if I am going to be going on a trip or lashing anything to the grid. But when I want to use it that way I secure with zip ties or could use velcro straps. The beauty of this approach is that I can change them up. Add, remove. Move forward or back. Even place them long-ways if I want to secure something longer and narrow on one side of the rack. Normally I run with a single 2'x4' grid on the rearmost 2' of the rack. This past weekend I back the LC part way into the garage and used that grid as a platform to stand on while I installed a Christmas wreath on our house. That single grid had no problem carrying my 180# weight. With 3 of the 2'x4' grids I can cover all but about a foot of the entire rack.

No, no LX model available that I’m aware of. No option on the website, and in my searching thru forums I didn’t come across any mention of a Lexus option. I’m aware of the other issues/modifications to the ladder that are required, but I had not anticipated that my rack might be the pinch point…
I don't know if this helps but there are 2 options for the "200 series". One is for the manual lift gate which is what is on all of the 200-series LCs before 2018. There is a second option for the 2018+ models that have the automatic lift gate which may(?) have been inherited from the LX. I thought I read that somewhere. If that is the case then maybe the automatic lift gate version would work on an LX. I ran into this when I traded in my 2016 for a 2021. I was not able to transfer the Gobi ladder. I subsequently ordered the automatic lift gate model which has a different mounting bracket on the bottom due to the placement of sensors in the door jamb to keep it from closing on something when in "auto" mode. Also note that it took 5 months for me to receive my ladder.

One more thing. I don't know how the ARB Base Rack works. For my Gamiviti rack, Tim customized to move the rearmost bar forward a couple of inches so that the Gobi ladder could clear it when the rear tailgate is open. This is evident in the picture by @YellowDoor which I believe shows a similarly modified Gamiviti rack. (People ask why I went with Gamiviti. A huge consideration for me was the ability to customize the build.)

Where did you line up the left side of the ladder top bracket? The way mine is, the right post touches the spoiler.

Did you see this post? This was 7 years and 4 200s ago so I can't help other than what's in this thread unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom