Anyone ever installed bigger injectors? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday I installed a set of professionally rebuilt Denso 23250-20030 12-hole injectors, replacing the 265,000 mile stock injectors in my '99 LC. It was an easy 1.5 hr "plug and play" job. I bought them for $150 shipped from a reputable injector shop. Price included verification they are authentic OEM Denso injectors, plus a flow sheet showing they were static and dynamically flow tested within 2% of each other. Seemed like a reasonable price. Seller offered different packages: <3% matched sets for $100, <2% sets for $150, or <1% setsfor $200... I went with a 2% set.
Got them from HERE on evilBay
*Shrugs*

X73l7qc.jpg

Performance wise, they basically seem the same to me as my old ones!
😅
They're maybe -- MAYBE -- a tiny bit smoother. I dunno. After an 'ECU reset,' and 250 miles of modest driving (a tank full of gas), I am not feeling a huge improvement. Then again I've never claimed to have an especially sensitive butt; my 'seat of the pants dyno' probably isn't very trustworthy.

I performed the injector swap along with some other things as preventative maintenance, hoping for small performance gains and a fuel economy increase; my MPGs were getting pretty bad. Fully loaded, going 85mph with my KTM 690 motorcycle on a hitch carrier was yeilding around 8mpg... This one fill-up since the swap gave me MPGs more like what normal owners are getting in armored, lifted trucks with roof racks under modest driving conditions: I got 12.2 mpg going about 65mph (w/o the bike). (The mpg numbers were correctly calculated with GPS verification, tire adjustments, etc.)

Anyway, all in all, I'm glad I swapped mine out, and I can't wait to see if the dyno results reveal anything interesting!

ipvQalP.jpg

diezf8G.jpg

ZuU7AZq.jpg

vsGf8w7.jpg
Am I reading this correct? You're comparing
85MPH w tow 8MPG.
To
65MPH w/o tow 12.2 MPG
:hmm:

Please elaborate on this.

I hope the ability to monitor BSFC was available during the dyno test.

I logged everything I could via the torque app with an attempted resolution of .1s. I haven't loaded data yet, but I should have you covered!

The suspense is killing me... Do I need to buy new injectors to turn my 4.7 liter sow into a swift stallion?

This testing aside, I think we can all say with confidence that you will need a supercharger (or two) to turn the 100 series into anything that could be confused with a swift stallion. ;)

Am I reading this correct? You're comparing
85MPH w tow 8MPG.
To
65MPH w/o tow 12.2 MPG
:hmm:

Yes. That is correct! LOL

I feel my previous 8 mpg was reflective of a trend of progressively declining fuel economy, and it triggered me to become particularly concerned that there may be something wrong, or even worse: this truck may not be capable of better MPGs when kitted in its current configuration... Chasing fuel economy is such a trixy vixen! I realize these trucks are not owned and operated on account of their petro-thriftiness, I also realize particularly poor fuel economy or sudden changes almost always indicate something is not right. My truck has about 265,000 miles, and I have owned it for the past 50,000. At one point during the more innocent and gentle 'honeymoon phase' of our relationship it used to get about 17 mpg, and now (after lots of mods and rugged adventures) it was getting around 8 or 9. As far as I know the coil packs and injectors, as well as a few other fuel-system related bits had never been replaced. Since my LC is so smooth and generally trouble free, I had developed something of a lead foot, falling out of the habit of operating it at a modest tempo... I admittedly like to drive fast.

Furthermore, while I purchased and built this truck specifically for rugged long distance overland touring (to which end it has performed completely satisfactorily), on principle, I am simply not willing to drive any vehicle on a several-thousand-miles-long trip that is only capable of a measly 8 miles per gallon. The very idea is morally repugnant to me. If 8 mpg is all my beautiful LandCruiser is capable of -- regardless of how much I love it -- it may not be the right vehicle for me.

So having said all that, inspired by a real concern that I should consider selling my LC and procure a less thirsty overland vehicle, I did some maintenance then took it on a thoughtfully intentional drive for a full tank of gas to attempt a baseline of whether or not it is even capable of >8 mpg. Hence my proud 12.2 mpg.

Lovely story, right?

Finally, since completing the aforementioned fuel system service, this week I made one additional significant performance modification:
I took a Sharpie marker and wrote, "I like to drive slow" on the inside of the windshield, directly above my line of sight.

I am hoping the cumulative effect will be, if not awe inspiring, in the very least enough to meet the status quo.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread about 12-hole injectors and how suprarx7nut's dyno test is going to suggest they are comparatively mediocre.

Last edited:
Hey suprarx7nut, check your DMs :)

Just to keep folks updated here: Analysis is done. video content queued up, just need to record some audio and get it all edited together. Hang tight, the reveal is near. Probably this weekend or next week.

Any update? Not expecting significant results but the anticipation is killing me nonetheless.

I got editing about half done last night. I was hoping to release it today, but I didn't get done by this morning. It'll probably be early next week (strategic move - view counts are way higher during the week compared to Sat/Sun).

I'm using Adobe Premier for the first time so splicing video and pics together is taking a little longer than I expected. Awesome program, but since I'm new to it I'm stumbling in the dark a bit. Getting there, though!

Reading @suprarx7nut posts for the last few years, I infer he’s got a lot on his plate at any given time. No doubt he’ll report as soon as he can.

I think my wife would tell you I try to take on about 3 times what I should so I think you're on point. :)

Last edited:
Quick question while on the topic of injectors:

If anybody else has done it, before I go through with it, I should still use 2003 injectors while running a 2006 throttle body and intake manifold, correct?

Also, in regards to the butterfly valve in the manifold, I think what Keith was trying to get across is that is opens at around 4psi and it does not need to be wired open or anything. Is that correct, too?

I kept seeing how it is all just plug and play, so I should be fine, but I just want to make sure. I’m getting all of it done with the timing belt here soon, so I just wanna make sure I still need 2003 injectors as opposed to ‘05 and ‘06 before going though with it.

Quick question while on the topic of injectors:

If anybody else has done it, before I go through with it, I should still use 2003 injectors while running a 2006 throttle body and intake manifold, correct?

Also, in regards to the butterfly valve in the manifold, I think what Keith was trying to get across is that is opens at around 4psi and it does not need to be wired open or anything. Is that correct, too?

I kept seeing how it is all just plug and play, so I should be fine, but I just want to make sure. I’m getting all of it done with the timing belt here soon, so I just wanna make sure I still need 2003 injectors as opposed to ‘05 and ‘06 before going though with it.

Is your vehicle an 06?

If you're looking at Dirty Deeds, keep in mind that info is all for Tundra's - not the Land Cruiser or LX. The models got the VVTI at different times and other various parts changes occured at different times. The right part for an 03 or 06 100 series may not be what is on that site listed for "03" or "06".

Is your vehicle an 06?

If you're looking at Dirty Deeds, keep in mind that info is all for Tundra's - not the Land Cruiser or LX. The models got the VVTI at different times and other various parts changes occured at different times. The right part for an 03 or 06 100 series may not be what is on that site listed for "03" or "06".
Whoops, I probably should’ve mentioned I have an 03 Tundra

I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place for it, but it looked like the topic was mentioned here before regarding both LC’s and Tundras. Plus it’s actually active and people seem pretty helpful on here.

Whoops, I probably should’ve mentioned I have an 03 Tundra

I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place for it, but it looked like the topic was mentioned here before regarding both LC’s and Tundras. Plus it’s actually active and people seem pretty helpful on here.

Haha, all good. But probably should clarify since the vast majority of folks in this thread/forum will have a 100 series (Land Cruiser / LX).

Results are finally live!

Thread for tech discussion around the testing:

Good Info and finally puts this debate to rest. And the verdict is the 12 hole JUST KIDDING watch the video.

Very cool to see this out all the way through. Im not surprised by that shock ending. Never heard one good thing in that regard around here. Thanks all who contributed time, money, and labor!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom