Trail Tailor Offerings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IDK... I and others have been running 100 calipers and pads on 80s for years. I and others above are talking 80 axle swaps not 60 stockers.... I've never done anything to my 60 brake systems except kept them in tip top shape and they'd (disc/rotor) stop my 5800# 60 on a dime.

J
Ah, 80 series. Now I follow. Be cool to get some big fatass 100 series brakes on a 60. I have to say though the 4Runner calipers I'm running in the front now with the GM discs I have in the back stop it real nice, especially after putting new rotors, calipers and pads on all four corners last weekend. I think the 80 rear with even bigger Trundra fronts will be even more of an improvement over what I've got. Maybe doing 100 front brakes on a 60 series just isn't feasible for some reason. Fitment possibly?

Ah, 80 series. Now I follow. Be cool to get some big fatass 100 series brakes on a 60. I have to say though the 4Runner calipers I'm running in the front now with the GM discs I have in the back stop it real nice, especially after putting new rotors, calipers and pads on all four corners last weekend. I think the 80 rear with even bigger Trundra fronts will be even more of an improvement over what I've got. Maybe doing 100 front brakes on a 60 series just isn't feasible for some reason. Fitment possibly?

Since I never had an issue after owning so many 60s; I never looked at other options and for the most part have always skimmed by those "upgrade brake" threads and never looked at them very closely. No need to corrupt something in my head that works fine in the real world.

I hear and talk to so many guys that are " I GOTTA HAVE THAT"........... NO YOU DON'T!!!! Just properly maintain what you have.

J

But since I have a shop full of 60 axles now I'll check to see one day if the 80/100 calipers bolt up to a 60. Never tried before honestly.

Since I never had an issue after owning so many 60s; I never looked at other options and for the most part have always skimmed by those "upgrade brake" threads and never looked at them very closely. No need to corrupt something in my head that works fine in the real world.

I hear and talk to so many guys that are " I GOTTA HAVE THAT"........... NO YOU DON'T!!!! Just properly maintain what you have.

J
I would argue that, honestly. Yes the 60 series, when maintained well DOES work decent, but I would put the system I'm running now against a good condition stock configuration any day and bet I would stop much quicker. Likewise, I would bet a same weight 60 series with FF 80 rear and Tundra (or 100 if it could be done) fronts would stop in even less distance than my own. Yes there are effective brake setups, but they can always be improved. Thing is you have to have the right balance between front and rear, and the appropriate mechanical advantage that the proper sized MC would give you.

I would argue that, honestly. Yes the 60 series, when maintained well DOES work decent, but I would put the system I'm running now against a good condition stock configuration any day and bet I would stop much quicker. Likewise, I would bet a same weight 60 series with FF 80 rear and Tundra (or 100 if it could be done) fronts would stop in even less distance than my own. Yes there are effective brake setups, but they can always be improved. Thing is you have to have the right balance between front and rear, and the appropriate mechanical advantage that the proper sized MC would give you.

Like I said it works perfect for me... so I'm out of the hunt to make a stock 60 (weighted or not) stop better..

J

it’s a mindset that ruins perfectly good vehicles :(

Slider Monday. @Matthews940 is getting the hang of speed and quality wrapped together. These will be finished up and shipped tomorrow.

J

IMG_20200203_131803154.jpg

Thanks to @FJ60Cam @cruiserjunktion BlackHawk Offroad and several others from IG, Facebook and Expedition Portal ... 3 of the 20 front coil kits are available.

@Matthews940 get ready for some long weld days buddy! We may bump this first cut and bend run to 30 kits just so we have some inventory for others just got 2 more installs this afternoon.

Just ordered more lockers and gears from @just differentials

J

Last edited:
Nope, total bolt on with U bolts.
Oooohhhh, daddy like. I have no issue with weld-on sliders (I consider myself a competent welder), but like the idea of being able to remove them in the future should the need ever arise. Any plans to offer a modification to compensate for a 1" body lift?

Shops is filling up again.

Trans replacement, TC rebuild, re-gears, 80 axles, coil swap lockers, Possible AC compressor, sliders, seat extender brackets and who knows what else..

@Idaho Savage Now I understand your wiring comment.... We may want to look into a BlueSea fuse panel for you to clean some of that up.

J

IMG_20200204_114018095_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200204_114357526_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200204_122132090.jpg

Oooohhhh, daddy like. I have no issue with weld-on sliders (I consider myself a competent welder), but like the idea of being able to remove them in the future should the need ever arise. Any plans to offer a modification to compensate for a 1" body lift?
The plan would be custom for YOU.

The plan would be custom for YOU.
Okay I'm totally down. My mother and kids have trouble getting into my truck where it sits now, and I predict even more when I have my OME kit installed. Been wanting a set of stable sliders that can be used as steps too. Gonna be keeping an eye on these....

Okay I'm totally down. My mother and kids have trouble getting into my truck where it sits now, and I predict even more when I have my OME kit installed. Been wanting a set of stable sliders that can be used as steps too. Gonna be keeping an eye on these....
Thats how I justified mine, I made it seem like they were for her! Super easy to install I prefer the bolt on option by far.

Thats how I justified mine, I made it seem like they were for her! Super easy to install I prefer the bolt on option by far.
Only reason I prefer a bolt in option is for the ability to remove it in the future if the need should ever arise. I have no problem welding (hell that's my job lol) but bolt in is always nice. Is there a price set yet?

Only reason I prefer a bolt in option is for the ability to remove it in the future if the need should ever arise. I have no problem welding (hell that's my job lol) but bolt in is always nice. Is there a price set yet?
@TRAIL TAILOR will have to chime in on the cost for you. The hardest part for is deciding what custom means for you! These are the ones I had made with the tread step.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom