HDJ81/FZJ80 Tranny Temp Gauge (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Materials finally gathered, going to replace the factory idiot switch using an adapter and a Defi sensor. The sensor sits just shy of flush with the adapter which sits just inside the flow of fluid. Do I need to tap the adapter so that the sensor just protrudes into the fluid stream? Or with venturi/turbulence will the sensor give an accurate picture of fluid temp? The install guide doesn't go into that detail...and I never took fluid mechanics ha. Thanks!
fullsizeoutput_1686.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1687.jpeg
59087786086__59D26051-D440-4BCF-BFF0-97DB07A9B37F.JPG

Does the adapter work on only the A442 aka”school bus“ or does It work on A343 newer slosh box?

@BDA130 What adapter did you use? It's a little confusing from page 1 of this thread as to what actually works.

I use this gauge: Defi Red Racer Temperature Gauge Metric 60mm 30-150C

I found an AutoMeter adapter I picked up in person. I'm sorry I don't have the part number...I'm looking for the package. But it adapts the 1/8pt sender unit to the cooler union. Sounds like you may have found a solution with a Bosch adapter?

So, what sensors/sensor lengths have folks gotten to work with the A442F fittings without impeding fluid flow?

I'm eying the Auber short sensor which is 0.87"/22mm tip length (same as 1/8" VDO apparently). I suppose I can always go with a male-to-female adapter as a spacer. Oil/Water Temperature Sensor, High Precision [PT100A-NPT] - $28.50 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_24&products_id=134

I spent time looking at this, and realized with how the Radd Cruisers fitting has the additional-sensor-hole-to-be-tapped facing down, that the Auber RTD sensor (Oil/Water Temperature Sensor, High Precision [PT100A-NPT] - $28.50 : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry - https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_24&products_id=134) would probably hit the front driveshaft. The front driveshaft is < 2.5" from the bottom of that fitting; it looks like that sensor extends at least 2.5" past the threads.\

I'm looking at going with the VDO 323-057 (1/8" NPT, max 300F/150C) to go with my Auber instead.

For guys that have drilled / tapped the end of the union: Can the union be removed without draining the trans fluid? or am I going to have a massive spill on my hands? It looks like it sits high enough to be above the fluid level. I plan on drilling the fitting from the side (not the bottom), and using the Auber standard length probe.

Also, is that union any different on an LX450?

Last edited:
For guys that have drilled / tapped the end of the union: Can the union be removed without draining the trans fluid? or am I going to have a massive spill on my hands? It looks like it sits high enough to be above the fluid level. I plan on drilling the fitting from the side (not the bottom), and using the Auber standard length probe.

FYI, there is a tranny temp gauge area on the passenger side upper part of the transmission. No need to tap in. Pull out the current sensor then plug it into its adapter and zip tie it somewhere ( keeping it plugged in will keep the check tranny light off your instrument cluster) put your new trans temp sensor directly into that. It works great And will save a lot of time and $ buying unnecessary parts

FYI, there is a tranny temp gauge area on the passenger side upper part of the transmission. No need to tap in. Pull out the current sensor then plug it into its adapter and zip tie it somewhere ( keeping it plugged in will keep the check tranny light off your instrument cluster) put your new trans temp sensor directly into that. It works great And will save a lot of time and $ buying unnecessary parts
There are many ways/locations to obtain trans temp readings, the fluid flowing through the union is fresh out of the torque convertor, and will be the hottest fluid you could sample in the system, making it the best place to obtain your readings from IMO.

The union does not make a mess other than the small amount of fluid in the lines.

I bought a tapped union from radd cruisers when I did my trans cooler install.

Nice I was wondering how to get a more accurate temp reading without messing around with too many adapters.

View attachment 2205530

Okay, after hours of searching I have found part numbers and how I did it.

Part numbers
Gauge - 310010015 (50 - 150^C)
Sender - 320 028 (50 - 150^C)(323-18 ohms)

I removed the union (outlet) from the gearbox and ran a 7.5mm drill though the union to drill a “pilot hole“ once it came though the end I Flip it around then drilled a 8.3mm hole (tapping thread size) as the sender was a 1/8 NPT thread .Then taped it and installed it

37E2BEE7-9445-4FED-86BA-17B39972CE1A.jpeg

B079E6EB-EB98-44B6-B72A-430D80D94442.jpeg

121B3B84-1DB1-481B-8183-9665E14C0C88.jpeg

F293747B-8D06-4F1D-AAF1-77924E26C06D.jpeg

299ACDF1-AC7C-4EB0-B498-435373E347E0.jpeg

Okay, after hours of searching I have found part numbers and how I did it.

Part numbers
Gauge - 310010015 (50 - 150^C)
Sender - 320 028 (50 - 150^C)(323-18 ohms)

I removed the union (outlet) from the gearbox and ran a 7.5mm drill though the union to drill a “pilot hole“ once it came though the end I Flip it around then drilled a 8.3mm hole (tapping thread size) as the sender was a 1/8 NPT thread .Then taped it and installed it

View attachment 3120818

View attachment 3120819

View attachment 3120820

View attachment 3120821

View attachment 3120822

I didn't like that gauge. My temps are usually well below 100c and the fidelity of the gauge below that is useless.

Cruising in the freeway I see
54-65c. Around town I see 70-75c.

The 1 time I saw above 95c was deliberate and I was trying to see how warm I could get it.

Anything above 107c and you're significantly reducing trans fluid life.

B6356A92-53C4-41D9-82EC-3DF5F808770F.jpeg

not sure why people say they need a drill press blah blah blah

I just made my own like this. pretty easy to drill thru without a drill press. I used a Dewalt 12V drill and a Vice to hold the part. nothing fancy

just find a drill bit the same size as the other side and drill all the way thru

then flip it around and slowly go up in sizes on the other side till you get to the correct size 1/8-27 NPT

Drill Bit Details:
  • Diameter: 0.3390"
  • Finish: Cobalt
  • Material: High Speed Steel
  • Type: Jobber Drill Bit
  • Drill Size: R
  • Flute Length: 3-7/16"
  • Number of Flutes: 2
  • Overall Length: 4-3/4"
  • Shank Size: R
  • Drill Style: Letter
  • Weight: 0.1035 lbs

Tap Details:
  • Thread Type: NPT
  • Tap Drill Size: R
  • Diameter: 1/8"
  • Finish: Bright
  • Material: High Carbon
  • Thread Diameter: 1/8"
  • Thread Size: 27
  • Type: Pipe Tap
  • Number of Flutes: 4
  • Overall Length: 2 1/4"
  • Weight: 0.0613 lbs

I used a drill and tap kit:

Toyota Union part number:

9040720006​

but if you are lazy you can always just buy one already made Transmission Cooler Fitting - Heavy Duty Land Cruisers 90407-20006 - https://www.shopraddcruisers.ca/transmission-cooler-line-fitting-90407-20006.html

Last edited:
View attachment 3342821

not sure why people say they need a drill press blah blah blah

I just made my own like this. pretty easy to drill thru.

just find a drill bit the same size as the other side and drill all the way thru

then flip it around and slowly go up in sizes on the other side till you get to the correct size 1/8-27 NPT

Drill Bit Details:
  • Diameter: 0.3390"
  • Finish: Cobalt
  • Material: High Speed Steel
  • Type: Jobber Drill Bit
  • Drill Size: R
  • Flute Length: 3-7/16"
  • Number of Flutes: 2
  • Overall Length: 4-3/4"
  • Shank Size: R
  • Drill Style: Letter
  • Weight: 0.1035 lbs

Tap Details:
  • Thread Type: NPT
  • Tap Drill Size: R
  • Diameter: 1/8"
  • Finish: Bright
  • Material: High Carbon
  • Thread Diameter: 1/8"
  • Thread Size: 27
  • Type: Pipe Tap
  • Number of Flutes: 4
  • Overall Length: 2 1/4"
  • Weight: 0.0613 lbs

I used a drill and tap kit:

Toyota Union part number:

9040720006​

but if you are lazy you can always just buy one already made Transmission Cooler Fitting - Heavy Duty Land Cruisers 90407-20006 - https://www.shopraddcruisers.ca/transmission-cooler-line-fitting-90407-20006.html

Time is money.

If you dont have the bit and tap by the time you purchase them, the adapter and drill it you're probably net negative

Time is money.

If you dont have the bit and tap by the time you purchase them, the adapter and drill it you're probably net negative
Already had tap and drill. everyone should have a EGT probe it should be mandatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom