What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (81 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Replaced the tie rod ends - inner had play in them. The rack bushings are next. Shout out to @cruiseroutfit the 555 tie rods ends were delivered within 48 hours of placing the order!!
20200130_225335.jpg

Nice, I've been wanting to do a Satoshi style grill like the t4r guys. Can you post the back side and how you went about attaching the steel?
I ended up using Alumiweld rods which melts using just a butane torch. Worked pretty well, I ended up making 10 tabs out of scrap from the grill.

IMG_20200201_181132.jpg

Picked up a little fuel tank from the freight terminal. It is the 40 gallon LRA replacement tank. I can't wait to get it installed :bounce:

1580616937623.png

1580617040907.png

Got to taking the CV axles out today. Removed the spindles, rather than go the full hub flange/ ball joint route. Some play in the DS axle that was making noise, PS still has zero play, after 253,xxx miles. However, I still have not figured out what sounded so awful when I was driving - a hard, speed based thumping when rolling (that shook the truck), and grinding when center diff NOT locked - also no drive then. I assumed the CV drive splines were stripped, but the machining on them is still pristine. Both hub flanges are pristine, and both inner diff splines are pristine. I ran out of time, so I was not able to take the boots off, but both inner boots and one out boot were cracked. I searched for a bit but cannot find anything else like this on MUD. Diff oil came out clean - changed this past spring. Hoping it's not the diff gears... any suggestions?

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 10.04.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Got to taking the CV axles out today. Removed the spindles, rather than go the full hub flange/ ball joint route. Some play in the DS axle that was making noise, PS still has zero play, after 253,xxx miles. However, I still have not figured out what sounded so awful when I was driving - a hard, speed based thumping when rolling (that shook the truck), and grinding when center diff NOT locked - also no drive then. I assumed the CV drive splines were stripped, but the machining on them is still pristine. Both hub flanges are pristine, and both inner diff splines are pristine. I ran out of time, so I was not able to take the boots off, but both inner boots and one out boot were cracked. I searched for a bit but cannot find anything else like this on MUD. Diff oil came out clean - changed this past spring. Hoping it's not the diff gears... any suggestions?
I'd take the rear drive shaft off to see if it'd eliminate the problem. Not getting any drive without center diff lock is indicative of either front or rear spinning free. Unlocked transfer case would happily send all the torque to the path of least resistance

I'd take the rear drive shaft off to see if it'd eliminate the problem. Not getting any drive without center diff lock is indicative of either front or rear spinning free. Unlocked transfer case would happily send all the torque to the path of least resistance
I'll take a look at that tomorrow. All the ugly noises were coming from the front, and I already had the noisy CV up there, so the assumption was it just went bye-bye.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. All the ugly noises were coming from the front, and I already had the noisy CV up there, so the assumption was it just went bye-bye.
sure sounds like the same symptoms guys experience when there’s an issue with the c clips on the shafts at the drive flanges....did that all look tight during tear down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom