1st gen 4Runner Gas Tank Dimensions? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is long and I apologize.

TLDR: Can people with a known 17 gallon tank or a known 14 gallon tank measure the depth of the fuel tank at the midpoint of the tank about where the fuel pump hanger/fuel inlet hose is? Fuel pump hanger depth from a known tank would work too I guess. Thanks

For the gluttons with nothing better to do than read about my idiocy, the long version.

Well, I have found myself in a pickle of my own making. While changing out a noisy fuel pump (1986 4Runner DLX) in hopes of curing my overnight loss of fuel pressure I twisted the high pressure hardline from the fuel pump hanger. I sneezed while undoing the very tight connection and slipped. This has led me down a long twisted road and frankly I am confused.

I found a used fuel pump hanger at Rancho Toyota Recycling from a 1987 SR5 4Runner for $90 shipped. A local guy wanted $180. I bought the one from Rancho. It was in good condition, but needed some wiring repair, no big deal. It was then that I discovered that there were two fuel tank options. I found there were a 14gal/56L tank and a 17gal/65L tank option and I panicked as I discovered the different sizes needed different fuel pump hangers. Anyway, I convinced myself that this was a DLX-SR5 difference and since I alway add about 12.5 gallons when riding on empty I assumed I have the 14 gallon tank and that I mistakenly bought a hanger for a 17 gallon tank.

:idea:

Why don't I just put in a 17 gallon tank? Years ago I found an 89 SR5 4Runner in a junkyard and one thing I pulled was the fuel sender. My assumption being that since it was out of an SR5, it must be for a 17 gallon tank. I PM'ed @pappy who in my Mud searching has done the 14 to 17 gallon tank swap to confirm the parts needed and started looking. The local recycler who wanted $180 for the fuel pump hanger would sell me a complete 17 gallon tank, fuel sender and fuel pump hanger and all brackets and skid for $350. I'm thinking I can recoup some of this by selling my extra hanger that I just bought and my used tank/sender/twisted hanger. I did the deal.

I get to work and start the process of pulling my tank. As soon as I remove my twisted up hanger I see it is the exact size of the hanger I bought from Rancho. I start getting nervous. I then pull the fuel pump hanger from the tank I just bought and it too is the same size. I'm starting to feel stupid and really confused. I know that the different tanks had hangers of different depth. I measure the depth of my new fuel tank and the one on the truck and they are the same size. The depth of the fuel tank at the midpoint of the tank near the fuel pump hanger/fuel inlet hose is ~14.25" (not including the skid plate). I'm pretty sure that the different tanks are the same dimension except the 17 gallon tank is deeper.

Houston, we have a problem and WTF!

1. I could have fixed my shenanigans for $90. I am using the hanger I bought from Rancho right now. :doh:
2. Is my assumption about DLX-SR5 tank size BS? It seems probable now.
3. Do I have a 17 gallon tank, and I just assumed empty was empty, hence the 12.5 gallon fill ups? Should I just see how far I can go? I've never had the low fuel light come on. I assumed it didn't work because I swapped in an SR5 gauge cluster and there was a missing wire.
4. I assume that fuel senders are different between the two tank sizes. Is it possible I have a a 14 gallon sender in a 17 gallon tank?
5. I definitely bought a tank of the same dimensions. The shady seller told me it was a 17 gallon tank that he confirmed by VIN. Did he lie or make a mistake? I haven't talked to him yet. If he didn't lie, I'm hoping that he will be understanding and if not refund my money at least let me trade for some stuff like wheels and a rear axle that I would like. If he did lie/make a mistake I'll go into the conversation a little differently.

I am pretty sure I am missing something very obvious so any insight would be appreciated. I am super confused.

PS I have a nice quiet fuel pump now. The O/N loss of fuel pressure seems better, but not completely resolved. :doh:

Answer: 12.75"

I literally just pulled the fuel pump bracket from a tank I believe was a 17 gallon. I ended up leaving the tank because it was missing the skid, and because it had been bashed in like mine.

pump bracket.jpg

4. I assume that fuel senders are different between the two tank sizes. Is it possible I have a a 14 gallon sender in a 17 gallon tank?

I can tell you the senders are different. I've had the two side by next. Of course, I didn't take pictures.

Answer: 12.75"

I literally just pulled the fuel pump bracket from a tank I believe was a 17 gallon. I ended up leaving the tank because it was missing the skid, and because it had been bashed in like mine.

View attachment 2189884

I can tell you the senders are different. I've had the two side by next. Of course, I didn't take pictures.

12 3/4” it is.
1F65269A-3B52-4084-85D2-0DBA6442990E.jpeg

I guess I already have a 17 gallon tank. Could I ask a favor to see how deep your current 17 gallon tank is? Just to confirm unless you are confident about the the tank size it came out off

Now to just figure out the fuel sender issue and why running on empty I still have 4.5 gallons in there.

Soooooo, you are in need of a 17 gallon tank and skid. If only I knew where a spare one is hiding.:hmm:

Send me a message if you are interested.

I can't help but I didn't realize 17 gallons was the larger size. I thought it was 19-20 gallons. Filled up for 16.5 gallons the other day after the light had been on for a bit longer than usual...Good to know

I do know the tank skid will not fit the 17 gal tank if it was originally for the 14 gal. The front side needs shims in order to bolt up.

That is correct about skid plates @se7enine

This is why I’m confused.
25124A88-F79E-4545-AC28-0D294FD120CE.jpeg

I’m at about 238 corrected miles. I know from experience with the fuel gauge here I will fill it up with about 12.5-13 gallons.

If I do have a 17 gallon tank, this means I have almost 4.5 gallons of reserve. This is close to what I have in the 80.

Can anyone comment on how their fuel gauge compares to this range? It would be nice if I could push things over 300 miles confidently on a tank of gas. Otherwise I guess I’ll drain the tank and see how much comes out.

This stupid mystery is starting to take up too much of my mental bandwidth. I can’t let it go till I figure it out. :lol:

You may have to adjust the float on the sensor till it reads E closer to 16.5. Or carry spare fuel and run until almost empty. See if the gauge adjusts after another fill. I've had a SR5 gauge adjust on me because it came from a 17 gallon 4runner and mine was at the time a 14 gal.

Ime the light is coming on at 4ish gallons.

Does your light come on when you first hit empty or does it take a bit? Do you have a 22RE? For some reason I think I remember you swapped in a 3.4L, so comparing range wouldn't work.

You may have to adjust the float on the sensor till it reads E closer to 16.5. Or carry spare fuel and run until almost empty. See if the gauge adjusts after another fill. I've had a SR5 gauge adjust on me because it came from a 17 gallon 4runner and mine was at the time a 14 gal.

I did swap in an SR5 gauge cluster years ago and have just assumed the Fuel light needed some extra wiring or a different fuel sender. One reason I haven't really pushed my range. I guess I can drive another 20 miles and see what happens. :hillbilly:

Iirc its coming on right at or above the last line. My 86 sr5 4R was the same story though. Pretty sure i was 150 miles from full to half tank in that truck.
My 3.4 pulls between 12-15mpg typically. My 86 was 17-20.

OK, I found a post on Pirate where a guy measured the depth from the pinch weld to the bottom of the tank on the DS (left) of the tank. I gave up to easy on my googling earlier. :love:

4Runner Gas Tank differences - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

The larger one (17 gallon) is approximately 8.125 inches from the seam down.
The smaller one (14 gallon) is approximately 6.25 inchs from the seam down.

My current one seems to be a 17 gallon tank. I have a three wire fuel sender so the low fuel light should work, I tested the bulb when I put the new cluster in. I'm going to throw caution to the wind and see if drive another 50 miles. :hillbilly:

Anyone in the market for a gently used 17 gallon tank, skid, fuel pump hanger and sender? I am assuming the local guy won't take it back (doubt he will) or let me trade for some other parts. I guess I could keep it as a spare. What would be the best way to store a tank? Coat it with WD40 and seal it from dust?

And to put an end to this thread. I finally ran the tank down until the low fuel light just started to come on. Took 14.6 gallons to fill it up. I can comfortably go 300 miles between gassing up when in need.

Now to sell the unneeded tank, skid, sender and hanger.

My '88 owner's manual only lists the 17 gal tank. Had no idea that there was a smaller one, but it always puzzled me because if I filled at 'E' it took 11-11.5 gals to fill. I was starting to think in terms of where and how to install a second tank because that wasn't enough range when I got brave and started driving on 'E' for a while. Kept pushing it until the low fuel light came on. Did not know I had that! My '84 Xcab didn't. Anyway, a fill right when the light comes on is 14-15 gallons. I've pushed it a ways further and have put as much as 16.75 gallons in it.

My '88 owner's manual only lists the 17 gal tank. Had no idea that there was a smaller one, but it always puzzled me because if I filled at 'E' it took 11-11.5 gals to fill. I was starting to think in terms of where and how to install a second tank because that wasn't enough range when I got brave and started driving on 'E' for a while. Kept pushing it until the low fuel light came on. Did not know I had that! My '84 Xcab didn't. Anyway, a fill right when the light comes on is 14-15 gallons. I've pushed it a ways further and have put as much as 16.75 gallons in it.

This is exactly why I was sure I had the smaller tank. I feel a little sheepish now with my expensive assumption, but happy to have more range.

Last time I had to do work on my tank, I had a lot of trouble with the little screws that hold the fuel pump to the tank. I Had to re-thread most of them due to corrosion. I was sure wishing for a spare tank at that point. Tough to find up here, as the wreckers punch holes in all of them. Corrosion is probably less of a problem down your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom