Aux Tank Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got a quote from Ward for about $1800 for the small tank (not including shipping).

Georg says $1250 for install

Assuming no shipping charges to Georg, and I drive out there, this is $3k just to start. And I’d need a bumper for any tank size other than the smallest one- and I’m assuming it would cost more than that $1800 estimate. $4k total? $4500 with the cost of the trip?

This may take some rationalizing in my head to make it work

Probably one of the best upgrades IMO. Those prices are spot on. You may ask about getting a faster/quieter fuel pump. I’m sure Georg could recommend one for you.

I got a quote from Ward for about $1800 for the small tank (not including shipping).

Georg says $1250 for install

Assuming no shipping charges to Georg, and I drive out there, this is $3k just to start. And I’d need a bumper for any tank size other than the smallest one- and I’m assuming it would cost more than that $1800 estimate. $4k total? $4500 with the cost of the trip?

This may take some rationalizing in my head to make it work

Yeah the cost is a little hard to swallow at first but being able to totally forget about gas stations when ur riding around the mountains for a couple days is worth every penny. I've just been keeping the spare in the back or in the bed of a buddy's truck, but I'm not the type to stay gone for 2 weeks at a time so it hasn't been too terribly inconvenient taking up some space in the cargo area. Looking at getting a Kaymar rear bar now that the burn from the tank cost is a few months old... Lol. Just jump in, you'll be glad you did.

I went with a @westcottdesigns hitch mounted tire carrier. Much cheaper than a bumper and more versatile .

IMG_20200103_153219553_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200103_153054959_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200104_152059743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200106_113816601_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200112_171724070.jpg

I went with a @westcottdesigns hitch mounted tire carrier. Much cheaper than a bumper and more versatile .

View attachment 2188614

View attachment 2188621

View attachment 2188622

View attachment 2188623

View attachment 2188624

I've seen these but had a couple questions for a real user...
Does that thing hang down below the back bumper as far as it looks? Also, from that angle it looks like the tire hangs out past the side of the truck... But does it?

I've seen these but had a couple questions for a real user...
Does that thing hang down below the back bumper as far as it looks? Also, from that angle it looks like the tire hangs out past the side of the truck... But does it?

No it does not hang down below the hitch .

Is there way to change the transfer pumping time from the switch? I have a new switch and it still does not show the fuel level and it only pumps for two minutes.

The alarm for when it stops pumping is louder so that is better. Also the pump sounds much louder. How would the switch affect that?

Is there way to change the transfer pumping time from the switch? I have a new switch and it still does not show the fuel level and it only pumps for two minutes.

The alarm for when it stops pumping is louder so that is better. Also the pump sounds much louder. How would the switch affect that?

The transfer pump switch will stay on as long as the fuel level sender shows fuel still in the tank. Once the sender registers no more fuel (red light), the switch stays on for about 2 more minutes before shutting it down.

I've found the pump to be much more loud when it is run dry.

Perhaps your aux tank is indeed already pumped out?

The transfer pump switch will stay on as long as the fuel level sender shows fuel still in the tank. Once the sender registers no more fuel (red light), the switch stays on for about 2 more minutes before shutting it down.

I've found the pump to be much more loud when it is run dry.

Perhaps your aux tank is indeed already pumped out?

Nope it is a full tank. My installer is thinking the sender might not have been grounded correctly. I don't know, as I seem to be the only one with this issue.

I'll have to live with this for a while as I have some trips for the next month. I guess as long as I can pump for two minutes I'll be OK.

Very possible and likely the sender is not hooked up or grounded correctly. It's just a couple blade connectors that can slip off when installing the tank. Hope that doesn't require dropping the tank to reach.

Couple minutes at a time may have to do, but it's not ideal. Transferring my full 12.5 gallon tank is a ~20 minute affair.

Very possible and likely the sender is not hooked up or grounded correctly. It's just a couple blade connectors that can slip off when installing the tank. Hope that doesn't require dropping the tank to reach.

Couple minutes at a time may have to do, but it's not ideal. Transferring my full 12.5 gallon tank is a ~20 minute affair.

I had the same problem... Lights didn't work and would only pump for a couple mins. It was the sender, the tank has to be dropped. Or so my mechanic told me.

Yeah, it's in there at the top of the tank. Not the easiest thing to reach with it installed. Possible with the right tool to reach and get a blade connector back on the terminal.

Red and black wires at right:
1580457791553.png

I don't mean to kick you in the nuts, but aren't these 2 tabs supposed to be cut off? I remember seeing a post about it somewhere, and now i'm wondering if my installer cut them off as well. What's the issue, if any, with leaving them on?

1580484344470.png

I don't mean to kick you in the nuts, but aren't these 2 tabs supposed to be cut off? I remember seeing a post about it somewhere, and now i'm wondering if my installer cut them off as well. What's the issue, if any, with leaving them on?

View attachment 2197361

That might have been my post. I don’t know what tank you all have, by my experience is strictly with the 12.5.

These tabs are one of the things that is overlooked in the LRA instructions. Unless they have updated things in the past year, there’s no mention to cut those off for the 12.5 install. But, after I installed, I was looking around online for more adequate help/documentation to double check things, and I found an Austrialian video and they cut those off.

If you notice, the tank does push up right against it if they aren’t cut off. I was having issues with my pump and wanted to do some upgrades on the wiring and hoses, so when it was dropped, those tabs were cut off. They were definitely rubbing against the top of the tank and had worn off paint. I would suggest cutting them off if you’re going to drop the tank.

How did you manage this shot? Wheel well or down from the rear axle? I spent a few minutes trying to get up in there to no avail. I'm hearing some weird squeeking/rubbing, and I suspect my installer didn't cut these tabs off.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the tabs are connected to the body, and the tank is hanging from the (screwed to the) frame, right?

Last edited:
From the passenger side rear wheel well. Gap between the body and frame. It's a pretty narrow slit. Used some extra lighting from a pen flashlight and my cell phone butt up against that slit.

Yes, tabs are on the body. Would be pretty hard to impossible to remove those tabs with tank in place.

Last edited:
How did you manage this shot? Wheel well or down from the rear axle? I spent a few minutes trying to get up in there to no avail. I'm hearing some weird squeeking/rubbing, and I suspect my installer didn't cut these tabs off.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the tabs are connected to the body, and the tank is hanging from the (screwed to the) frame, right?

I’ve had the tank installed for quite some time now. My LC squeaks loudly every time I hit a dip or bump at lower speeds, even ones as slight as a driveway. I suspect it squeaks at higher speeds, but road noise masks most of it. Never thought it might be coming from the aux tank, but makes sense considering it started after the install of the aux tank. 🤦‍♂️

Does anybody else have this issue?

I’ve had the tank installed for quite some time now. My LC squeaks loudly every time I hit a dip or bump at lower speeds, even ones as slight as a driveway. I suspect it squeaks at higher speeds, but road noise masks most of it. Never thought it might be coming from the aux tank, but makes sense considering it started after the install of the aux tank. 🤦‍♂️

Does anybody else have this issue?

Aside from those body mounts, I've heard of cases where either a.) the gap between the charcoal canister and tank is so small that dirt/rocks get stuck in there or b.) a screw near the charcoal canister mount rubbing against the top of the tank. I have personal experience with the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom