In Memory of Kevin, Tools R US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sometimes when we are standing outside or in the shop talking, I still expect Kevin to come join us the next minute . . . :(
It IS still hard to sit in his chair!

Richard,
Good thing he left so many bread crumbs for the rest of us.

Kevin had a ton of faith in you from Day 1. I've been meaning to tell you this for some time. Before I met you Kevin mentioned you to me. He called you the "new guy". He warned me that I hadn't met the new guy. He said it in a way that made me wonder, who is this new guy and why did Kevin mention him that way. Well, it didn't take long before you were not the new guy anymore. You assimilated with the local cruiser corps and with TRAL and into a leadership role with TRAL. I think he saw you as a younger and better focused version of himself. He also saw an energetic young man who had his head on straight, someone who enjoys wheeling, Land Cruisers and nature as much as he did.

His legacy lives on - You're living it my friend.

-Trent

Thank you so much, Trent. I am so privileged to have known and learned what I have from him. Not to mention the amazing people which were brought into my life through him.

I always called mud his facebook; he wasn’t the social media type but I am so glad he was a colossus on this forum. His information on such a huge range of topics is here to help any and all who need it. I’m sure we’ll all continue to learn from him for many years to come.

sometimes when we are standing outside or in the shop talking, I still expect Kevin to come join us the next minute . . . :(

Every day that we’re here. I also keep expecting him to come walking towards the back of the shop exclaiming “alright!”

It IS still hard to sit in his chair!

For you and me both, brother.

Everytime I use to visit him at the shop and would leave he would say to me ," Have Fun". I still hear it when I leave the shop after visiting John and Richard.

@Rudster's photo of Kevin's truck today:

20191130_103458-jpg.2146357

for all you non-Phoenix area people: that white stuff up there on the mountains is highly unusual for us (the night after Thanksgiving, we had a huge thunderstorm, even tornadoes, mucho wind and rain, and, evidently, snow in higher elevations)

and thanks to @-Spike-, we all now have a black bandana hanging somewhere off our trucks - except for @Bella1992, who decided to use the bandana for a hat

A month later, there's still some up there

IMG_20200105_145539483_HDR.jpg

I just saw this. So sad to hear about Kevin’s passing. When I first entered Cruiser nerd hood, “Tool’s” posts were some of the ones I paid most attention to. I never had the pleasure of interacting with him but from what I could tell, he was a solid dude. RIP.

Damn. Haven’t been on Mud in a while. This is gut wrenching. I can’t count the number of times he talked me off the ledge when I was panicking about something simple or trivial.

Never got the pleasure of meeting him in person but that never stopped him from giving me his time to help me out.

His word was the gospel. What a tremendous loss. My heart goes out to his family and the rest of Mud.

His posts were always the ones I paid most attention to. It's weird when a member passes away, but the cruiser world keeps going. I guess that's the way we would all want it. His legacy will go on because of this forum. Life is short, go ahead and spend more money on your Cruiser! RIP my Cruiser Friend!

isn't it amazing how we develop these relationships with people over the internet about old trucks! Kevin was a true asset and I will always cherish his knowledge and advice. What a loss. Even though I never had the chance to meet him in person I truly feel sad and feel that I have lost a friend.

whenever I raise the hood on our trucks and look around, things come to mind Kevin would say . . . :(

like "hey, at least no red wire on this one" - which referred to many of the 40s he came by over the years that had the infamous "red wire" going all along the firewall to connect from the battery to some device the PO had deemed in need of extra power :hillbilly:

when we were about to relocate our 80 from Louisiana to Arizona, we actually strung a dummy red wire across the firewall :hillbilly:, so that when he saw it in person for the first time, he'd be stumped by "the red wire" - and he was :rofl:

Last edited:
I just noticed my Mud Mail box was full. Went to clean out the messages... then started seeing the PMs from Kevin :(. Couldn't delete those...

10 out of 10 die and thats a quality fact . Tools always struck me as a quality knowledge on the subject of these trucks, interested in simple truth. Something about the way he was free and eager with his knowledge separated him from other knowledgeable characters tho.
GOD bless yer kin my man!

'If something breaks on your truck while I'm pulling you out it's your fault, if something breaks on mine it's your fault!' Then wait for them to acknowledge that, okay? Then pull them out". Kevin P.

"LC's don't wear D Rings on the front--we do the pulling out, we don't get pulled out--got it?" Kevin P.

We did pull out an F150 from the soup that was Sycamore Creek on Saturday, and I used the quote above verbatim... The 80 currently has the bigger winch, so it did the pulling, with the K5 as land anchor one strap length behind. And while I was setting up the pull, I had, in the very back of my mind, a smile, thinking back at Kevin.

I rarely play music when wheeling, but Kevin always did - so in his memory, I played music when we went out wheeling yesterday afternoon :steer:

here's a picture where I was following him on his favorite trail in recent years

DSC02920.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom