Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did not know you could powdercoat if you used adhesive... so I assumed you would have to weld it.

I would powdercoat the pieces separately, then bond them before the air box goes back in.

Back on the air box today.....lot of work to do this thing. Questioning some of my ideas......like this.

Deflector getting ready to go
20200130_085504.jpg

Deflector tacked in
20200130_111831.jpg
20200130_170524.jpg

Our cleaned up inlet adapter....may go over the edge with a big to fill in a little of that gap.

20200130_085524.jpg

Yet another mockup....had to cut down the inlet for final today. Drilled some holes so when it all comes back from powdercoat, we can put in the sealant and rivet it together.
20200130_170518_HDR.jpg

Had to make a quick adapter for the trans shifter mount......I'm not sure what I ordered wrong but the base did not fit the upper. We had a part time transfer lever from what I think was an HDJ81....we used some of its parts. I think at one point I had figured out what I should have ordered but it seemed easier to build an adapter. Some of this stuff gets really confusing.....compounded when you don't know what things came from too.

This is how far off the upper was from the base....

20191212_175208_1.jpg

Adapter plate

20200203_090315.jpg

20200203_090322.jpg

20200203_090337.jpg

In position......
20200204_094221.jpg

We ended up using the shift arm(?) that came from the HDJ81 trans ....which of course needed modding. The hole that the roll pin went into was clocked differently....so we moved it to the other side.

20200203_134511.jpg
20200203_144609.jpg
20200203_144629.jpg
20200203_145911.jpg

In place and working. This is a H-N-L full time box.

20200203_151732.jpg

Last edited:
I am really enjoying watching problem-solving on such a professional level. This is like watching a custom gunsmith. :cheers:

Thanks Alberto and I'm still blaming you for all of this :)
I am in the same boat with you....blaming Alberto for my "shady" dealings....

I am really enjoying watching problem-solving on such a professional level. This is like watching a custom gunsmith. :cheers:

Well we wouldn't have been so buried in all of this kind of stuff had I ordered the right parts. I think I had ordered parts for a part time box with the H2, H4, lift N, L4 pattern. Sometimes I get ahead of myself when I order. Definitely a learning curve to on all the variances. I think we have this particular setup figured out. Lol. Good experience for the shop youngster in making this kind of stuff with a little direction.....one day he'll be on his own to figure it out.

I am in the same boat with you....blaming Alberto for my "shady" dealings....

Well this truck was going to be an auto but @AlbertoSD made fun of me....along with his other buddy who will read this and know exactly who he is. I'm very sensitive :)

Perhaps @AlbertoSD will post his favorite image of how an auto transmission works for all of us to see....how about it Alberto? :rofl:

Well this truck was going to be an auto but @AlbertoSD made fun of me....along with his other buddy who will read this and know exactly who he is. I'm very sensitive :)

Perhaps @AlbertoSD will post his favorite image of how an auto transmission works for all of us to see....how about it Alberto? :rofl:

Admittedly, he has helped me out of as many pitfalls as he directed me to drive into --- at full blast, guns blazing, with my kerosene under-roos on fire....

You are welcome, from the both of us :rofl:

Well, since you asked for it ;)

Automatic.jpg

In all seriousness, I am glad this truck is getting a manual transmission,. It just feels right for a 70 series to be manual.

Keep up the great work. As Dan @cruiserdan mentioned, it is quite enjoyable to read this thread and see the great craftmanship on this.

-Alberto

You are welcome, from the both of us :rofl:

Well, since you asked for it ;)

View attachment 2201318

In all seriousness, I am glad this truck is getting a manual transmission,. It just feels right for a 70 series to be manual.

Keep up the great work. As Dan @cruiserdan mentioned, it is quite enjoyable to read this thread and see the great craftmanship on this.

-Alberto

HAHAHAHAHAH....I love that pic. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

And yes, 100% this needed to be a manual. Really glad I went that direction......very excited to have this thing close to the way Toyota built it.

HAHAHAHAHAH....I love that pic. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

And yes, 100% this needed to be a manual. Really glad I went that direction......very excited to have this thing close to the way Toyota built it.

I love that photo, too. I just think it is quite funny and accurate at the same time HAHAHA

I think we'll need one on the 1HDT that will be going into another project....will be in touch for sure.

both my 1HZ trucks run a disco potato home brew kit with 15psi and will fairly easily burn the clutch in 3rd gear. But, I have my fuel turned way up... and I drive like an a**hole.

1580833442062.png

That just made my day so much better! Hijack over....

It's been my experience that very few things with builds like this(or any build for that matter) come together easily......I can now say that my AC system did. I guess having all the OEM stuff certainly helps. We had everything hooked up in 30 minutes I think. 1 custom bracket required.

20200204_100658.jpg
20200204_100705.jpg
20200204_100711.jpg
20200204_100720.jpg

This is where the bracket was needed.

20200204_100726.jpg

Nifty little bracket not only holds the low pressure line but also the high pressure down below. The high pressure line fit right in. All the rubber clamps and mounts fit as they should. Bracket is mounted to the shock tower where there were 2 existing holes. Love it when it's easy.

We will need to hook up the vacuum reservoir to the motor....the metal line that runs near this area won't fit. Easy enough to make something work.

20200206_080722.jpg

20200206_080716.jpg

There she is......one more thing off the shrinking list.

20200204_175116.jpg

And finally....back on this today.....for the last time. Hours and hours and hours will be spent here sorting out where things go, what things are, what we have, what we don't. We are using a 2014 HZJ76 harness which runs much differently than what would have come in the 79....the 76 would run partially in the truck...the 79 goes out the cab and back. 76 has a lot of stuff in it that the 79 won't. So we'll pick at it and get it as narrowed down as we can. I have been buying harnesses that I think would be helpful.....purchased a 79 rear harness as well as a new engine harness.

I hate this part but I love this part. Hate because of all the time it will consume but love because it means we're close to having this thing running.

20200206_082507.jpg
20200206_082550.jpg

World's most unimpressed dog.....STILL unimpressed with what we do at the shop.

20200206_162244.jpg
20200206_162220.jpg

By the end of the day, we had pretty much weeded out what we knew we didn't need and ID'd a few things we don't have. Ordered a harness and an ECU for the lockers...the 76 appears to be wired for the lockers but not equipped on the model my interior came from. Tomorrow I hope to have this part of the harness installed.....pretty much the dash and the right side of the engine compartment harness in this pic....I took a ton of pics of how this thing was attached to the dash bar....will be using them tomorrow for sure!

20200206_131729.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom