What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (71 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While the tie rod ends are on their way, I thought I would take the front drive shaft off to see if that would eliminate the drivetrain vibration. Welp, I failed like a miserable bitch :crybaby:. I couldn't budge the front shaft bolts and while I could push it a little more, I got scared and decided I don't want to deal with that.

Next, I tried to remove the metal shield under the transfer case so I could drain the transfer case fluid and managed to just twist off the mounting bolt :flush: The other bolt was smashed at some point and has been mangled to a point that I can no longer get a socket on it. So the shield will stay on by that one mangled head bolt. Ended up draining the transfer case with shield in place, made a mess on the garage floor and refilled the case with fresh 75w-90 synthetic fluid.

The saga continues...

I twisted off all three bolts holding the metal shield in place. Now I get to play extraction..... I feel your pain.

Is this a kit he sells or did you specify what you wanted? I need a refresh for front and rear.

Specified what I wanted. He has 2 types of rear uppers, but just 1 type of the lower. The extended links are great for lifts and the lower control arm armor pieces give added protection to the front johnny join of the lower. Jason (Trail Tailor) is a real solid dude that you can discuss your needs and he'll give solid suggestions for what to choose.

I've been working on a diy custom grill on and off for a little while now. Here's where I'm at today. Still need to make the attachment points and paint it all black. Toyota will be River Rock Green, and outlined in silver.

IMG_20200129_170938.jpg

IMG_20200129_170917.jpg

Last edited:
I've been working on a diy custom grill on and off for a little while now. Here where I'm at today. Still need to make the attachment points and paint it all black. Toyota will be River Rock Green, and outlined in silver.

View attachment 2195809
View attachment 2195791
Is that flattened expanded steel sheet? It looks better than I would have thought. Nice project.

Is that flattened expanded steel sheet? It looks better than I would have thought. Nice project.
Yes, that's exactly what it is! I thought I ordered the horizontal version, but I guess not. I still like it, but horizontal would have looked a little better.

Well, the Trail Tailor rear control arms, extended sway bars links and coil packers installed today. Truck drives 100x better. I knew the bushings on the factory control arms had worn. But, I was shocked to the extent! 5 of the 8 total bushings literally fell apart the moment I removed the arms. 2 of them the metal sleeve fell out. It’s no wonder I was feeling a sense of instability recently. I guess the point is, if you haven’t checked your rear control arm bushings before, it would be a good idea to do so. Can’t believe how well my truck handles now. Only bad thing is that I can’t put the control arm protection plates on as the “ears” for the lower control arms have taken plenty of hits over the years and there’s no way to bend them back narrow enough for the protection plates to fit.

B711F6A0-8C8B-44D0-9E87-1C08AFB479CE.jpeg

50BFE9FD-4FD1-4EF3-A88B-D0A9D92F6A17.jpeg

D1879914-27A0-495A-8D4A-04EA9D6FA2D5.jpeg

5D35088F-EF31-4788-98DF-5583C014C3A3.jpeg

Got my Gamiviti patch! Thanks @nakman! If you are ever looking for a great rack (no Dolly Parton jokes) with some seriously cool add ons from a super cool dude who supports the heck out of us Cruiserheads, reach out to Tim at Gamiviti.

C55E68AF-02F8-4B23-B6A2-C67872111C1D.jpeg

Well, the Trail Tailor rear control arms, extended sway bars links and coil packers installed today. Truck drives 100x better. I knew the bushings on the factory control arms had worn. But, I was shocked to the extent! 5 of the 8 total bushings literally fell apart the moment I removed the arms. 2 of them the metal sleeve fell out. It’s no wonder I was feeling a sense of instability recently. I guess the point is, if you haven’t checked your rear control arm bushings before, it would be a good idea to do so. Can’t believe how well my truck handles now. Only bad thing is that I can’t put the control arm protection plates on as the “ears” for the lower control arms have taken plenty of hits over the years and there’s no way to bend them back narrow enough for the protection plates to fit.

View attachment 2195987

View attachment 2195988

View attachment 2195989

View attachment 2195990
Recently replaced my RUCA's as well and the lowers are on my list next. How many miles did you have on the OEM bushings? I was at 224k and they disintegrated just like yours. Haven't checked the lower bushings but I would imagine they're in pretty bad shape too

What’s a coil packer?

What’s a coil packer?
AKA coil spring spacer. A ring of rubber or polyurethane that goes on top of the rear springs to add extra height without having to resort to higher rated springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom