Random chit chat thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw that on one of the Cruiser Facebook pages, and the guy and his kid are fine.
He was also on Instagram. Pics are crazy. Lucky to get out with cuts and bruises.

That pick is the good side the pic of the passengers side it looks crushed more! I’ll see if I can find it. Here is the other side! Amazing they walked away!
D8CDBB2E-5013-4BC9-92B6-490AAB39B977.png

I know the Mt. Rose exit has been a total mess and the Gov and the contractor are in arbitration over 24 million, but everything I've seen about Exit 4 is that it's on schedule. The accident with the semi last week at exit 4 that caused the closure was nasty, but supposedly the trailer cracked in half on it's own due to damage from a prior accident.

Different contractor with the Mt. Rose exit as well.

I'm new to the area, a little over 2 years now, (from Los Angeles), so I guess I'm used to it.
My notifications aren’t working so apologies for not replying sooner.

Mt. Rose is the poster child of everything that can go wrong with a project. I’m currently doing some 3rd party investigation of this one. Original contractor was in way over their head on it and left a lot of money on the table from day one. Essentially they missed every milestone and buried themselves.
Exit 4 has moved along fairly smoothly for what it is. Logistically it’s a good plan and the overall impact was minimal on the eminent domain side of things. You’ll notice that everything has/ will be shifted north so only one business was affected by the project. The accidents so far have not been tied to the work, rather people speeding, and a couple of freak mishaps but not due to the patterns. The way the patterns are setup, 83 is able to maintain 4 lanes of traffic throughout all phases and the transitions are not as harsh as well.

That being said, this work always causes hardship and not all will be on board with the work. I worked on many that I struggled to wrap my head around the logic. Exit 4 is forward thinking and should handle the volume of traffic for many years to come.

83 and 81 are currently under studies to make them 3 lane both directions from the MD line to HBG. A lot of the new structures along those corridors are being built to facilitate this in the future.

81 would be nice if it was 6 lanes all the way to the 78 split.

Down here they have plans to make 222 6 lanes a mile up from 30. I say take it to the Turnpike.

My notifications aren’t working so apologies for not replying sooner.

Mt. Rose is the poster child of everything that can go wrong with a project. I’m currently doing some 3rd party investigation of this one. Original contractor was in way over their head on it and left a lot of money on the table from day one. Essentially they missed every milestone and buried themselves.
Exit 4 has moved along fairly smoothly for what it is. Logistically it’s a good plan and the overall impact was minimal on the eminent domain side of things. You’ll notice that everything has/ will be shifted north so only one business was affected by the project. The accidents so far have not been tied to the work, rather people speeding, and a couple of freak mishaps but not due to the patterns. The way the patterns are setup, 83 is able to maintain 4 lanes of traffic throughout all phases and the transitions are not as harsh as well.

That being said, this work always causes hardship and not all will be on board with the work. I worked on many that I struggled to wrap my head around the logic. Exit 4 is forward thinking and should handle the volume of traffic for many years to come.

83 and 81 are currently under studies to make them 3 lane both directions from the MD line to HBG. A lot of the new structures along those corridors are being built to facilitate this in the future.

Please a million times ... have them turn on the light at the corner of Raleigh Dr and Haines Rd. The construction has been killing me for ~3-4 years now and no end in sight ... ever. The lights have been hung for 2 years now and they say they won't turn them on until the sidewalks are complete. Now they have left 1 square of sidewalk missing on every corner or junction.

We are also VERY lucky it has been a mild winter. Slush will pile up and settle in the low spots of the cattle shoots and oncoming trucks shoot the slush right into the windshield of car in the oncoming lane ... super dangerous. The whole area there is a death trap. I ask my wife to get off at 124 (Mt Rose) and come home from work via Haines Rd instead.

Also, way more businesses were affected by the project. The Super 8 closed and knocked down, Mexitaly had to relocate and it's building knocked down, Arooga's, 5 Guys and the BK on the corner lost access from southbound traffic on Camp Betty Rd unless you go around through the Gabe's plaza or use the new cut through Arooga's made now. The bank on the corner chose to vacate, now it just reopened as a dispensary. The Ollie's Plaza lost left turn entrance from 124E and also lost left turn exit from the lot onto 124E. The customer traffic we have lost due to customers in the morning that head south on 83 having to go up the hill and through 2 lights to come down the hill to get on 83S is a real thing.

The whole things has been a mess imho ... /rant

Yeah, 124 has been a mess since day one. We walked away from that as soon as we found out that Kinsley wasn’t awarded the bid. I can remember doing Survey work in preparation to Mt. Rose as early as 2003 and it’s still a mess!
We were recently called in as a 3rd party for QA/QC work but have no ties to that job.

Wasn't quite sure where to add this. Any recommendations on dash cams? Or at least considerations of what I should look for one to have?

Had someone change lanes into the side of my Yukon. Fortunately the damage is minimal, but it became a "conflicting stories" situation and their insurance denied the claim. The other vehicle definitely took the brunt of things, so I guess I should be happy that they didn't come after me.

I've been thinking I should get a dash cam for awhile because of seeing near misses all the time. Now I definitely see it as a necessity.

Wasn't quite sure where to add this. Any recommendations on dash cams? Or at least considerations of what I should look for one to have?

Had someone change lanes into the side of my Yukon. Fortunately the damage is minimal, but it became a "conflicting stories" situation and their insurance denied the claim. The other vehicle definitely took the brunt of things, so I guess I should be happy that they didn't come after me.

I've been thinking I should get a dash cam for awhile because of seeing near misses all the time. Now I definitely see it as a necessity.

I'd be interested in this as well.

I'd be interested in this as well.
I have a few, one in all of the commonly driven vehicles. My most recent is a YI with front and rear facing camera in one unit. The rear facing mostly sees the passenger compartment, but also out the windows.

It can be fun to review a day of wheeling, but I usually don't.

Luckily, I've never had to review a traffic incident, although there are a few I would have liked to.

That said, reviewablity is one of the features I'd shop for, make sure it has a good app and wifi so you can easily manage footage on your phone or computer if you like.

I find the mini sd cards too fidgety to swap and download, I'm also lazy :rolleyes:

Figure in the price of a good SD card, 128gb or so will capture most of a day wheeling before it begins to overwrite.

Shop Amazon and spend what your wallet can stand, they start around $50 and brands like Cobra, Kenwood, ect seem to be $200ish....

Are the $200 ones significantly better than the $50 ones? I'll pay for features or longevity, but don't want to spend money I don't have to.

Being in the general Harrisburg area, it's becoming a necessity. Daily I see people blowing through stop signs and red lights, switching lanes/merging off ramps without looking, texting and not paying attention, etc. I'm sure Philly/DC/Baltimore are worse, but it has certainly stepped up "defensive driving" several notches in recent years.

In my case, I think that being able to prove I stayed in my lane and he came into mine would have made the difference. I said he came into my lane. He said I came into his lane. Insurance said they aren't paying because they cannot determine fault.

I have this guy. No rear facing option but I’m ok with that. For $45 it will do the job I’m looking to get done. I’m sure more expensive units would result in a more clear picture but it will get the point across should I get in an accident. And it’s small enough should the accident be my fault I could chuck it in the back seat unnoticed haha.

E9447B59-7E03-42C4-826C-4674718878DE.png

Are the $200 ones significantly better than the $50 ones? I'll pay for features or longevity, but don't want to spend money I don't have to.

Being in the general Harrisburg area, it's becoming a necessity. Daily I see people blowing through stop signs and red lights, switching lanes/merging off ramps without looking, texting and not paying attention, etc. I'm sure Philly/DC/Baltimore are worse, but it has certainly stepped up "defensive driving" several notches in recent years.

In my case, I think that being able to prove I stayed in my lane and he came into mine would have made the difference. I said he came into my lane. He said I came into his lane. Insurance said they aren't paying because they cannot determine fault.
Haven't played with any of the fancy ones yet.
I may get one with separate front and rear cameras next. Not looking forward to the install, but some are wireless now I believe.
Again, I recommend one with a good supporting app, something where it easy to transfer video to a device you can actually see the video on.

I've seen a few of these in person, almost bought one off a guy years ago. Apparently, difficult to master.

Same engine was used in the Rokon Trailbreaker for some time.

Now, I've had MANY of these over the years.

1580310716569.png

I want one of these!!!

I've seen a few of these in person, almost bought one off a guy years ago. Apparently, difficult to master.

Same engine was used in the Rokon Trailbreaker for some time.

Now, I've had MANY of these over the years.

View attachment 2195410
Caz, they do it better these days.

Crusha, let me know if you end up with any of these please!

Timbersled-New.jpg
riot-120-xxs.jpg

Reactions: caz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom