FZJ80 Narrow Skinny tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had those wheels on my 91 and they were great. They look great

dQNIlzd.png

255/75/17 ST Maxx on Tundra rims with 1.25 inch spacers. Happy with them so far.

rGED4Uz.jpg

I dont think the M55 is that great of a tire, yes there heavy duty, but as they get down in life there really suck for traction.

Just go with the Maxxis, close enough to the M55 1/2 the price.

Just go with the Maxxis, close enough to the M55 1/2 the price.
You cannot compare puncture resistance, which is what you're paying for with the M55. Michelin XZL would be close enough. So would the Nitto HD Grappler, which is the exact tire for less. IMHO it's best to compare tire weights. Will anyone actually need that extra 7 lbs of steel over the Bighorn? Industry - absolutely.

Last edited:
255/75/17 ST Maxx on Tundra rims with 1.25 inch spacers. Happy with them so far.

rGED4Uz.jpg
love the build! Steering wheel is on the wrong side, so is that your HDJ? We have an importer in FL who gets about 2 or 3 a year, Japanese market. Is the HD-T that much more efficient than the 1FZ? Just curious, I love to drive diesels.

love the build! Steering wheel is on the wrong side, so is that your HDJ? We have an importer in FL who gets about 2 or 3 a year, Japanese market. Is the HD-T that much more efficient than the 1FZ? Just curious, I love to drive diesels.

Yeah that's the HDJ, I need to update my sig, I sold the other one.

It's more effeciant than a 1fz for sure, and now that I've dropped another $6k into a turbo, intercooler, big snorkel, and airbox, it makes great power too. The worst I get is 16mpg, that's blasting down the highway at 85. On 55mph back roads, I can get 22.

I do trips with my buddy in his fzj all the time and I consistently have 75-100 more miles of range than him.

However, I think a LS swap is still a "better" option. I'm into this thing for way more than what it costs to do the swap, and if I ever have to do major engine work it's BIG bucks. Where as the swap guys can just keep chucking in $2k junk yard LS motors until the end of time.

You cannot compare puncture resistance, which is what you're paying for with the M55. Michelin XZL would be close enough. So would the Nitto HD Grappler, which is the exact tire for less. IMHO it's best to compare tire weights. Will anyone actually need that extra 7 lbs of steel over the Bighorn? Industry - absolutely.
Curious how you are comparing puncture resistance? Are there measures the resistance of various tires?

Last edited:
# / thickness of steel plies (weight). Up here, the M55 or HD Grappler is used mainly in mining and forestry. If there were a better alternative to the M55, all Mine Sites would be using them. M55's last ~1 month in a typical pit driving on blast rock. Big $. Dunlops also seem to last. Use them at work, not for offroad.

Had E-rated 255's on a heavy 80, not likely again.

Last edited:
# / thickness of steel plies (weight). Up here, the M55 or HD Grappler is used mainly in mining and forestry. If there were a better alternative to the M55, all Mine Sites would be using them. M55's last ~1 month in a typical pit driving on blast rock. Big $. Dunlops also seem to last. Use them at work, not for offroad.

Had E-rated 255's on a heavy 80, not likely again.
Makes sense. However, I'm not looking for the same things out of a tire than a mining company it looking for.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the HDJ, I need to update my sig, I sold the other one.

It's more effeciant than a 1fz for sure, and now that I've dropped another $6k into a turbo, intercooler, big snorkel, and airbox, it makes great power too. The worst I get is 16mpg, that's blasting down the highway at 85. On 55mph back roads, I can get 22.

I do trips with my buddy in his fzj all the time and I consistently have 75-100 more miles of range than him.

However, I think a LS swap is still a "better" option. I'm into this thing for way more than what it costs to do the swap, and if I ever have to do major engine work it's BIG bucks. Where as the swap guys can just keep chucking in $2k junk yard LS motors until the end of time.
Cool, appreciate the feedback. I briefly considered a 12v Cummins swap for my first cruiser when the Diesel Adapter kit was 5k. I had access to a true Cummins mechanic for pizza and beer (and some pocket change) so I could almost justify it, but the 1FZ never gave out. Never really pondered the LS swap too long but I can totally see how that’d make sense. Parts and know-how everywhere.

Just thinking out loud.
Pirelli Scorpion Mud
Load C, no sipes (I won’t see snow for a couple of years), not much info on it, but basically $600 mounted. Cheap experiment, I’m keeping my 16x7 OEM alloy wheels with highway tires mounted if it turns out to be a complete mistake. I just don’t feel like giving money to BFG for this set. I initially was going for the Nankang Mudstar but i’s a load E (I’d like something a little more compliant) or the 9x34 Swamper Narrow but that’s just silliness.

If 235/85/16 is the size your looking at, I always thought the Michelin XPS traction tires looked interesting. Never ran them so no real world experience, reminded me of the Toyo m55’s.

If 235/85/16 is the size your looking at, I always thought the Michelin XPS traction tires looked interesting. Never ran them so no real world experience, reminded me of the Toyo m55’s.
Been wondering about those myself, but $300 a doughnut. I’d hate to hate’em.
Stock looks low in 235, I think they might be discontinuing that line.

I would look into the Cooper AT3 line of tires. I got the AT3 XLT in 295/75/16 size awhile back and they have been far the best tires i have had on both gravel (dirt) and highway roads.

I would look into the Cooper AT3 line of tires. I got the AT3 XLT in 295/75/16 size awhile back and they have been far the best tires i have had on both gravel (dirt) and highway roads.
Well I found my tire: Yokohama Geolandar MT G003, available in 255/85r16. Looks like the tire rides really well, tracks straight, affordable. I’m hoping to place an order next week. Let me know if anyone has them on an 80. Rode in a Taco equipped with this tire, I liked the ride a lot: very forgiving on broken pavement, allows below 40 psi on the road. Fights a little in the sand but we didn’t adjust pressure for a quick ride.

Well I found my tire: Yokohama Geolandar MT G003, available in 255/85r16. Looks like the tire rides really well, tracks straight, affordable. I’m hoping to place an order next week. Let me know if anyone has them on an 80. Rode in a Taco equipped with this tire, I liked the ride a lot: very forgiving on broken pavement, allows below 40 psi on the road. Fights a little in the sand but we didn’t adjust pressure for a quick ride.

I think they make a great tire. I ran the AT as did my brother in law. We both loved them, I would think the MT would be a great tire too.

I run 285/75r16 I/T's in the winter. They have been great so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom