Maintenance and upgrades on our "new" FJ62... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^ Thanks...!

Nothing new to report. Truck has been running great, serving as a DD and kid hauler for my wife.

We took it out to a local state forest maybe 6 weeks ago, grabbed a cool pic of that outing:

fj62--42-in-state-forest.jpg

...and dressed it up for Christmas:

fj62--43-xmas-lights.jpg

This Friday, it's supposed to get a new windshield. I'm a bit worried about how that's gonna go - The Safelite installer is supposed to be knowledgeable in older vehicles (as compared to your just-glue-it-in method for newer cars). So, we'll see. EDIT: Safelite no-showed on us TWICE...so we gave up on the windshield replacement.

- Brian

Last edited:
10 months later, a minor update...

We've just been driving the 62 and enjoying it, nothing else notable to comment on. The drivers rear power window is acting up, so that will be next on the list to address.

For a small update: I didn't know there were rubber bumpers on the door handles, but it should have been obvious every time one of my daughters let go of the handle that something was missing (they made a terrible loud "clank").

I saw in the "Warhorse" thread that @NCFJ mentioned these bumpers (see his post here: Builds - Warhorse-LS3 C&C & more) ...and I had to replace the ones on both our 62 and my 60.

Off to Amazon for (4) packs of Dorman #45393 ($3 each) - I needed enough for 2 trucks.

Here's what you're dealing with:

View attachment 2011677

See how smashed and flat the bumpers are?

I thought the way they came out of the package held the handle out too far, so I trimmed off the pointed end -->
View attachment 2011679

Popped the old ones out with a flat head screwdriver (they were brittle, and just broke off):

View attachment 2011680

Then hit the new ones with a little silicone lube, and worked them into place with a dull screwdriver:

View attachment 2011681

Now it's a nice 'thunk' when you let go of the handle, not that metal-on-metal clank like before.

Anyway, I'm posting this here so that you can go do the same - It's a small thing, but it really makes the truck feel more solid (makes it feel new again). Thanks again @NCFJ for the tip and part number!

:smokin: - Brian

You must have the patience of a saint or I am just not doing this right. I've fumbled, cursed and generally been foiled trying to get 8 little rubber pieces into my door handles twice this week. Can you please share how you used the screwdriver to work them in? Thanks for saving me some more gray hair.

You must have the patience of a saint or I am just not doing this right. I've fumbled, cursed and generally been foiled trying to get 8 little rubber pieces into my door handles twice this week. Can you please share how you used the screwdriver to work them in? Thanks for saving me some more gray hair.

Haha...yeah, I struggled a little until I got the hang of it.

The key for me was silicone lube. Lubed 'em up, got them partially inserted, used a small flat screwdriver to work it in (got half the lip in the hole)...then just pushed on the end of new bumper...and they popped in place. Lube was essential. <-- There's a sex joke to be made here, im sure of it!!!

Alternatively, you can pull the door cards and it's super easy to pull them through.

Are you using the same ones I bought (Dorman)?

- Brian

Decided to sell this FJ62 - Wanted something with better gas mileage, more modern features, and airbags for my wife and kids to drive around in.

Gonna be sad to see it go, and I'm hoping I can find another enthusiast to take ownership (really want to keep it out of the hands of a flipper!!!).

See here if you might be interested --> For Sale - 1988 - FJ62 - 180k miles - Daily Driver (Northeast FL)

- Brian

Sadly, our ownership has ended...shipped the truck off this morning -->

fj62--45-final.jpg

It's off to North Carolina.

Funny that it showed up on a trailer behind a Dodge 3500...and left the same way.

I think it's going to a good home, and I hope it treats the new owner well.

😢 - Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom