84 60, 2F, starts and idles great cold or hot but loses power after 1-4 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am worried about that too. I am going to spray out the jets and likely clean the tank.

Frank

Pull your sender and take a look. It doesn’t take much to cause an issue. In this case, it wasn’t getting past the fuel filter, but it was clogging the fuel pickup tube as it drove.

B33FD698-97D0-40BF-AED1-F1F38AC28137.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. Is that accessible from inside the truck through the floor?

Frank

Wow. Is that accessible from inside the truck through the floor?

Frank

It is. Remove the chrome strip at the tailgate and pull the carpet back to expose the sender access panel.

Perfect, since Mudhorn has no carpet this should be easier.

I dove into the truck yesterday. I started by pulling the rear access panel and inspecting the tank. It was, to my pleasant surprise, absolutely spotless. It almost seems like someone must have cleaned it at one point. This aligns with the visual sight glass inspection which always shows a bowl full of fuel.

I pulled the carb lid and found more of these tiny chunks of hard black stuff. I cleaned and cleaned spraying the jets etc... I sprayed the lid and float surfaces too. I did my best to get every spec. junk out of there I then cleaned out the fuel lines from the carb to the pump and pump to the filter. The filter screens from outside in and is clear so it would be easy to see if it was catching anything. It is void of any debris suggesting if the fuel lines were the issue it was downstream of the filter.

The results were good. The truck fired right up and ran like top. In fact with this DUI distributor and the exhaust the shop installed it was charging strong up some steep hills even over geared on 35's. Rather than torque tanking around 2500 RPM it pulls closer to a blistering 3500 RPM.

Now only miles will tell if I got it all or need to go back in there.

Frank

Get ready for this.... like sit down, hold your beer tightly if you have one... but today Mudhorn PASSED SMOG!!!!! So happy I am!

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom