Shout out Kurt and his crew at Cruiser Outfitters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
In dire need of a right rear OME shock (as half of mine has mysteriously disappeared), I was perusing Amazon and such to find the shock I needed, and I said to myself "Self, don't half-ass this. Get somebody that knows LandCruisers on the other end of the line to ensure I'm getting the exact shock that matches the one on the other side and don't leave anything to chance. "

So I email Cruiser Outfitters and DM'ed @cruiseroutfit in IH8MUD. Less than a hour later, I'd wager, Kurt had replied to my DM and Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters had actually CALLED me and we talked for a few minutes to discuss what I needed and the order has been placed with delivery for Wednesday.

Only difference in cost of Cruiser Outfitters vs. Amazon was the shipping - about $15.

Well worth it in my opinion for the consistently knowledgeable, timely service.

Thanks @cruiseroutfit

Last edited:
+1 i'm glad i spoke to them before I made a decision getting my OME kit. not only did they help me but they also saved me money. awesome people!

Good honest folks for sure! Good to do business with.

Yeah I bought my knuckle rebuild kit from them. I may have saved a little buying it elsewhere but the customer service along with detailed step by step instructions and quality parts made it totally worth it. Will definitely be buying from them when I get my OME lift here pretty soon.

They really are the shiz. They've gone above and beyond for me on too many occasions to count. I literally have cited them to our customer service team at my work.

Always good to hear praise for a vendor!

Now.... @Rusto lets see a pic of your half shock?! Are you hard on your rig? Doing any sweet jumps lately?!

I'm out of town at the moment, but I will definitely post a pic of the half shock. I need help figuring out how the heck it could have happened

On OME suspension, the shock limits down travel at full droop. I've always felt this was a bad design for the longevity of the shock, haven't heard anything to corroborate my opinion, until now! haha, seriously though, I would think you would have had to put some serious abuse to them to cause it to snap in half....anxiously awaiting pics!

On OME suspension, the shock limits down travel at full droop. I've always felt this was a bad design for the longevity of the shock, haven't heard anything to corroborate my opinion, until now! haha, seriously though, I would think you would have had to put some serious abuse to them to cause it to snap in half....anxiously awaiting pics!
I noticed that too just day before yesterday while installing my new OME springs and shocks. Shocks came up almost an inch short at full droop. Installing the front tomorrow, so I was waiting to see how the fronts went on before calling @cruiseroutfit to ask the question.

I noticed that too just day before yesterday while installing my new OME springs and shocks. Shocks came up almost an inch short at full droop. Installing the front tomorrow, so I was waiting to see how the fronts went on before calling @cruiseroutfit to ask the question.

You only have so much flexibility to work with on a 60 Series as a longer shock could require lowering bump stops. A broken shock is not common, like I've seen a couple in thousands of shocks and they see usually external factors.

You only have so much flexibility to work with on a 60 Series as a longer shock could require lowering bump stops. A broken shock is not common, like I've seen a couple in thousands of shocks and they see usually external factors.
Thank you Kurt!

Drum roll please... This is exactly how I found it, save for black plastic sleeve, which I removed and threw in the trash when I first noticed it. No bolt or washers on the top, looks like the shock just broke the end off and collapsed on itself. The ONLY thing I can think of was a couple of years ago I hauled a very heavy load of pavers in the back and maybe it full compressed the shock and broke the end off. And maybe it had been that way ever since. Or maybe going over Ophir Pass last summer, but that's pretty mellow. Anyway, some blue loctite and a new shock and we're back in business.

I am curious as to what others may think of what could have happened.

20200131_123523.jpg

20200131_131325.jpg

But where did the top half of the shock and more importantly the bolt & washers go. Even if the shock broke, they should still be there. I'm going to theorize that bolt came loose, let the shock come off at the shop and then it proceeded to come apart?

Exactly, Kurt! Where did the bolt and washers go? And why was the bottom part of the shock that was still there, still in the upright position? But I think you are right. Bolt came loose, shock wriggled off and then it just expanded until it came apart somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom