Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's to another 30 ! :D

:beer:

Here's to another 30 ! :D

:beer:

I appreciate the sentiment Alf, but that is not going to happen. I’ve probably got a dozen good years left in me for doing this kind of work. I’m already subletting out the T&T/case R&Rs because I can’t handle wrestling those beasts anymore. Rebuilds on the bench are still all good, axle overhauls are still going strong.

But the biggest question mark is changing consumer expectations with the Amazoning of America. People talk a good talk about supporting the little guy, but their dollars say otherwise. I am lucky to still have a decent stock of rare parts that aren’t going to show up on Amazon. And if I sell those parts wisely, I will last until I am ready to retire...with a little help from my friends. ;)

Last edited:
You should absolutely do a 30th! I’d love to try and come down to join in.

Our 30th (and subsequently my 20th as owner) is in a couple years. I don’t want to let it slip by uneventfully like I did the 25th :(

Received a couple of good suggestions offline already.

One, I ran out of Marks Off Road tshirts at the Bakersfield rally last year and hadn’t gotten around to ordering more. A friend suggested I put a 30th Anniversary logo on the new shirts. GREAT IDEA!! Thanks Brian.

Also suggested was talking with the owners of the parking lot next door about staging a vehicle show/swap meet. Will keep you all posted on that.

Keep the ideas coming!

Yes, make the swap meet a monthly event !!!!!,

Jim, this statement has served as a wake up call, but not in the way you intended.

Before I let the genie out of the bottle by starting a separate event thread, I wisely spoke with my wife who reminded me that even with the use of the parking lot next door we cannot support an event of more than about 80 people. And I have a lot of family and friends from my other hobbies that would like to be part of this celebration.

So now I am looking at a very awkward situation of having way many more Landcruiser friends than I can accommodate. I seriously don’t know what to do. Part of me says I’m almost better off not to have any party if I’m going to end up insulting a bunch of people by telling them they can’t come. :-(

PS. It’s kind of trippy that the view count can go up almost 1000 in a week and see only 10 likes. What’s up with that?

<snip> changing consumer expectations with the Amazoning of America <snip>

THIS is IT. Consumers have evolved way past instant gratification to "I want it a day before I decided that I want it" AND It should be tax-free with free air freight.

Absolutely nuts.

How did it come to a point were it is OK for me to make money but it is not OK for you to make money.

THIS is IT. Consumers have evolved way past instant gratification to "I want it a day before I decided that I want it" AND It should be tax-free with free air freight.

Absolutely nuts.

How did it come to a point were it is OK for me to make money but it is not OK for you to make money.
It is getting weird for sure. I have had two calls this week for parts, I don't sell parts. When I told them I do not sell parts both got upset with me, as if how dare I not sell parts. WEIRD!

Maybe you missed my post, #12, here:

You can add ToyotaMatt to my list of vendors who are younger and hungrier than me. He wasn’t on my radar four years ago. ;)

Last edited:
So how about a little imput on my anniversary T-shirt. I thought about having a 30 in 1” circles on either side of the rig, alongside the windshield frame/CB antenna, with an arch over the windshield saying 1990-2020. Looking at the shirt, I’m wondering if that isn’t just too ‘busy’ and maybe I should put the commemorative part on the back?

Tina thinks I should have a new slogan like “ old school STILL spoken here“ , “still old school” or “older old school” That might fit under the phone number on the front.

???
F68AEB71-AD47-4CE8-9E56-B0FB4FDC9343.jpeg

Incorporate "A carbureted man in a fuel injected world"

I've always liked that phrase. :cheers:

Maybe make the slogan "30 years speaking old school" placed above the rig? No matter what the slogan is three decades of running your shop your way is a major achievement, congrats.

I met a college kid at the local cars and coffee this morning who was there with his three weeks new to him '72 FJ40. Reminded me a lot of when I got my 40, so I tried to pass on some of the advice you gave to me. Mainly the order of work: make it stop, make it steer, make it run.

I agree with Cruiserdan!! I also think you should have some badge on the sleeve of the shirt with your 30 year anniversary. Maybe add some color??

I think we’re going to go with the 30th on the sleeve. Thanks for the idea John. ;)

Ive now got two friends of mine who teach culinary arts at the local community college who are going to handle the food! I have provisional approval from the neighbor to use the parking lot FOR PARKING ONLY pending getting a rider from my insurance company. Talked with my insurance agent, who said no problem.

So things are moving along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom