Target carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here we go, now the next revision of the Target Carrier will be a diesel/electric hybrid.
Elevator motors out at each wheel controlled by some stability control algorithms from the last decade, so there go the gears and lockers.
Instant torque.
No more tranny and t-case, so lots of room for the batteries.
The diesel runs at a preset RPM, so no need for turbo and inter cooler.
And you can probably power your fridge...
I’m sure we should be excited for what possibilities the new tech is bringing...but old school cool is stil where it’s at for me.

What is so wrong with a Honda eu1000 or 2000 generator?

That’s an excellent question that I wish I knew enough to answer.

I will say that I’ve been looking into “Van Life” conversions for a few weeks now and the overwhelming majority of them use solar and batteries with just a very few charging batteries from the engine alternator but I’m yet to see a portable generator. I can’t say if this is a case of monkey see monkey do or if one system has a real advantage over the other.

If you ever want to burn up a couple hours go to YouTube and checkout (Van Life) or (Bus Life) and take a look at what some of these people come up with for living full time in a small space off grid reasonably comfortable. Most all of them are built on an extreme budget but are surprisingly well outfitted, I’ve picked up several great ideas for my camper project watching these videos.

Last edited:
Here we go, now the next revision of the Target Carrier will be a diesel/electric hybrid.
Elevator motors out at each wheel controlled by some stability control algorithms from the last decade, so there go the gears and lockers.
Don’t think for one minute that I didn’t go to the site @GLTHFJ60 posted and read every page, I did spend a bit of time on the 636HP motor page daydreaming but I’m not quite ready to make the EV jump just yet.

I have watched a lot of those videos. I am trying to aim my pig somewhere in the middle of dirt camping and the van life setups. Whether it is with a pop top or an off road trailer I would like to have expedition style camping/off-roading be easier to do than last pig party.

I was curious if you can keep the the fridge in the pig whilst you sleep. I also thought your heater used diesel to run.

I was curious if you can keep the the fridge in the pig whilst you sleep. I also thought your heater used diesel to run.
I don’t own a mini fridge yet so I’m not exactly sure how that will all work out. The heater is a combo 12V and diesel powered, it has a pump to circulate the engine coolant through the system and when I’m using it as a cab heater I also run the fan on my cab heater.

It’s a great system but my single accessory battery voltage has dipped down to 10 volts a few times running it all night and I’m not real keen using my start battery to boost the run time of my heater when camping alone out in the boondocks.

Last edited:
That’s an excellent question that I wish I knew enough to answer.

I will say that I’ve been looking into “Van Life” conversions for a few weeks now and the overwhelming majority of them use solar and batteries with just a very few charging batteries from the engine alternator but I’m yet to see a portable generator. I can’t say if this is a case of monkey see monkey do or if one system has a real advantage over the other.

If you ever want to burn up a couple hours go to YouTube and checkout (Van Life) or (Bus Life) and take a look at what some of these people come up with for living full time in a small space off grid reasonably comfortable. Most all of them are built on an extreme budget but are surprisingly well outfitted, I’ve picked up several great ideas for my camper project watching these videos.
I'll do some watching. I like that stuff. I am about ready to liquidate everything and joint the van life world!

I’m going in for my initial knee replacement surgery Tuesday with the second one scheduled 3/31. Being done at the ICON equivalent clinic in Vail (major sports figure thank-you jerseys on all the walls) but this thread reminds me JMack could probably handle it in his shop if given a few days for internet research.
Hope to be leaping tall mountains in single bounds by Pig Party time. If not Bonnie can take care of behind the wheel chores. Jim can design the elevator lift for the rooftop tent!

I believe you're right about that. Good luck with the knees, not fun to think about much less go through.

Have tried all the non surgical options. Knees are bone on bone. Limping around during two seasons of high country elk/mule deer hunting in November (with cortisone injections in between) was the final straw. Lifestyle decision I should have made ten years ago. Initial PT goal is climbing the ladder into the rooftop tent by June.

Have tried all the non surgical options. Knees are bone on bone. Limping around during two seasons of high country elk/mule deer hunting in November (with cortisone injections in between) was the final straw. Lifestyle decision I should have made ten years ago. Initial PT goal is climbing the ladder into the rooftop tent by June.

Good luck Jim, you have set some good goals!

...but old school cool is stil where it’s at for me.

Agreed 1000%. Just poking fun at how Jim's projects go. He will show up at the next Pig Party with a suitcase-size nuclear reactor he built from parts in the Acme catalog, or North Korea, and then be all like "Shucks guys, I'm just trying to keep my beer cold..."

I don’t own a mini fridge yet so I’m not exactly sure how that will all work out. The heater is a combo 12V and diesel powered, it has a pump to circulate the engine coolant through the system and when I’m using it as a cab heater I also run the fan on my cab heater.

It’s a great system but my single accessory battery voltage has dipped down to 10 volts a few times running it all night and I’m not real keen using my start battery to boost the run time of my heater when camping alone out in the boondocks.

You need a low-voltage cut-out on that system. Most fridges have them.

Better yet, you need some good down bags! That heater is not exactly quiet at night...

I ordered it from a Holest distributor in China, “Gaidite”, still waiting for it to arrive and confirm it’s the correct Turbo in the box. It’s my understanding that all the “Super” 30’s have come from China and are the HX30W 2835278/13024082 originally spec’d for the Deutz 4.16 liter engine.

This is the picture of the box I had them send me before shipping,
View attachment 1205883

How'd you end up going with this turbo? I found this post trawling mud for hits.. looking to throw it on my 4.1L 4cyl 15BF intercooled with about 20psi .. how was your experience buying from China too?

How'd you end up going with this turbo? I found this post trawling mud for hits.. looking to throw it on my 4.1L 4cyl 15BF intercooled with about 20psi .. how was your experience buying from China too?

Turbo is still working great, running it daily right around 32-33 PSI and "knock on wood" no issues.
Sending money directly to China was a bit sketchy but it all worked out in the end and saved me around $350.00 over the going rate.

Good luck!

I’m going in for my initial knee replacement surgery Tuesday with the second one scheduled 3/31. Being done at the ICON equivalent clinic in Vail (major sports figure thank-you jerseys on all the walls) but this thread reminds me JMack could probably handle it in his shop if given a few days for internet research.
Hope to be leaping tall mountains in single bounds by Pig Party time. If not Bonnie can take care of behind the wheel chores. Jim can design the elevator lift for the rooftop tent!
Hope the surgery went well. Im now getting scheduled for both knees replacement - just now finishing up rehab from both ankles being replaced. VA has done mine - Lucky VA here is FANTASTIC!.

Inside the shop of a madman.

trying to chit chat some so I can be the #2000th post on this thread

CA7707BF-F318-47FD-99CD-0750FCC63A35.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom