New to us a factory locked vehicle and its not a Toyota Ekk! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have always been somewhat against diesels (on account of their dirtyness; starting from way back when I lived in Germany) - and after having wheeled behind @Enigma on Golden Spike at Cruise Moab, I am even more vehemently against diesels - that stuff just plain stinks to heaven :mad:
At sas#3 , we jockeyed to get out from driving behind a older Deisel 80. If lucky, put him last in line..

not much jockeying possible to overtake someone on Golden Spike :doh:

I have always been somewhat against diesels (on account of their dirtyness; starting from way back when I lived in Germany) - and after having wheeled behind @Enigma on Golden Spike at Cruise Moab, I am even more vehemently against diesels - that stuff just plain stinks to heaven :mad:

I love the smell of diesel in the morning, it smells like victory.
I should have fueled up with biodiesel Claudia. then you would have been hungry all day smelling french fries.

..I really need to get back to Moab, that was such an awesome trip.

Growing up around old diesel farm equipment in the south, I agree that they can belch and puke soot all over, but I love the smell on the breeze. The modern diesels run so clean(when PROPERLY tuned) that they are hard to gripe about. Cummins 4/6BT, Toyota 1HD, and other low fuel pressure diesels simply do not have complete enough combustion to match the modern ones. The advantage is low rpm torque, low fuel consumption, and dead nuts reliability make them a globally appealing option. Emissions regulations have really forced diesels to become cleaner by reducing soot and NOX emissions by a HUGE margin. The down side is that fuel and exhaust management has become a big burden on the design, manufacture, and operation of them.

1. Fuel pressures have to be much higher, on the order of 27,000psi, which means that the pumps have to be bigger, heavier, and have much tighter tolerances thus being much more susceptible to particulate matter in the fuel. Summary, super clean fuel is vital.

2. The injection and timing of the fuel in the compression and power stroke has to be so much more precise. All modern diesels are electronically controlled with several injection events per cylinder cycle. pre-ignition, ignition, and post-ignition injections being a broad summary of them. Older mechanical diesels use a single injection event that dumps all the fuel of combustion in a single event. This makes complete and efficient burn difficult, and leads to the soot belching out on high engine loads.

3. Aftertreatment of the exhaust is the last step to keeping the diesels "clean". Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) use a ceramic medium to filter the soot out of the exhaust, but eventually plug up and cause an exhaust restriction. This is resolved by what is called the 7th injector on inline six diesels. The 7th injector works with the post-ignition injection event to raise exhaust temps to a point where the soot build up is incinerated and blown out of the DPF. This is called the Regen Cycle, and is why modern diesels will sometimes idle up and blow very hot gas from the tail pipe. Some Fords had issues with blowing a steady flame out the tail pipe. From 2013 on, Tier 4 Final regulations came into effect which added NOX mitigation to the equation which is covered by the addition on DEF or Diesel Exhaust Fluid. DEF systems add another injection system that injects DEF into the exhaust stream and catalyzes the NOX in the exhaust, into less harmful gasses. All this add to the complexity, fragility, and operating cost of due to fuel being used in the Regen and the addition of another fluid. Typical usage of DEF is 6-8% of diesel consumption, unless you are VW. They use much less...

I realize now what a random rant this has become. I guess my point is to say that a well tuned diesel is a thing of beauty off-road for several reasons, but being stuck behind a belching old oil burner is about like being stuck in a line of dirt bikes behind a rich running 2-stroke spewing smoke in your face. I love my Cummins powered truck, and with tuner and a desmog, I can have 500hp and still run clean.

Long winded post complete.

Should change the title of my thread
The digression from the original subject matter is amusing. I'll get it back on topic!!!

Hey Phil, what are you planned mods at this point? Will we see this at a club meeting? Can we see some more pics?

There's lots of real estate for solar on that camper!

is that the camper youre keeping on it or something different like a big box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom