Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you don't have one already, I'd recommend installing the hand throttle to go along with the accelerator pedal you have there.

How is the hand throttle to be used differently from the choke?

I have a friend who has the factory PTO winch and he just uses the choke to increase idle speed.

@Oregon80fj40 Choke changes the air/fuel mixture making it more rich, hand throttle opens the butterfly valve increasing air flow(like stepping on the accelerator pedal) to increase speed. Use the choke on cold starts, and switch to the hand throttle to warm up the engine/cruise at speed/increase engine rpm... That is how I have been using my hand throttle vs choke.

Observed a few drops of gear oil at the speedometer cable connection at the transfer case. So, out with the old, in with the new.

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6090.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

After 4 years, my Odyssey Battery has given up the juice, well the AMPs. Interestingly, it still carried a voltage of 12.5 when measured with my Fluke, after sitting out in the cool 25 degree air overnight. Took it to NAPA for a load test, less than 400 cranking amps. Well below half the battery's rated capacity. Sooooooo, research time.

It was out with the Odyssey's group 34-PC1500, and in with a behemoth of a battery. It's a commercial NAPA 31P with 950 CCA/1150 CA and 175 min. of reserve capacity. This sucker tips the scales at 56.5 lbs and measures up at 13" x 6.75" x 9.5" high. With a little modification to the OEM battery tray (due to length), purchasing the 74481-26020 (4Runner) battery hold down (due to height), shifting the charcoal canister a bit, I was able to heave & wedge this monster into the engine bay.

IMG_6119.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

NOTE: Not only will this have mo power, it may also help off-set some of that cruiser lean. :hillbilly:

It almost looks like there is a crack in the exhaust manifold, upper left in photo?

Interesting you pointed that out. I over heard a guy at the muffler shop mention that....I'll have to go give it a look.

To the masses of knowledgeable Cruiser peoples: If that is a crack, can the manifold be welded in place?

It almost looks like there is a crack in the exhaust manifold, upper left in photo?
Brother, I was about to start removing manifold bolts.....however, what you see in that photo is actually a shadow of a casting flaw based on where I had the light. Here is a pic with the light on the other side.

2283FD48-680A-4BB7-BF0D-C5983DB2005E.jpeg

Well you are on your way now Rick, looking good!

A few months ago I read a post on here about changing out the original FJ40's transfer case's shift knob for an FJ60 model. I liked the idea, so purchased the FJ60 knob. But the knob doesn't fit directly onto the FJ40's lever, so I had to purchase a brass shift knob reducer/adapter, M12X1.25 OD M8X1.25 ID.
View attachment 2169830

Original OEM FJ40 transfer case shift knob:
View attachment 2169831

New FJ60 shift knob o my FJ40's transfercase shift lever:
View attachment 2169835
View attachment 2169838

where exactly does one obtain a " Shift Ball Reducer Adapter " 🤔

i have dreamed about a part like this on many nights ......🎑

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a separate but equal topic Rick , making your NOS hand throttle , simply shorter , is like a fast lunch at a drive through ...... :D

making it longer however , extending the cable , black liner too ,, well thats a Anniversary Dinner out with the wife 😇

when your fire wall Jig arrives Monday , consider seriously simply making your
new stand-off custom bracket longer as necessary ..

it appears , all 40 series under dash hand throttles are the same Length approx.

according to my Hoard ?

so maybe your OK .....:)

note: top 3 longer ones are 60 / 62 series

DSCN2636.JPG

Did your distributor show up today? I'll be installing the one I modified for my '76 FJ40 tomorrow, should be a balmy 53 degrees and sunny.

Stopped by the office this morning and picked it up. Thank's for all the help!

IMG_6178.jpg

.....And is that a 1mm spark plug gap coil?

It is an '85 FJ60 dizzy & coil that came with my 2F, and will use the OEM gap at +/- 1MM (.031"- .038"). The Denso plugs from Toyota come with the spec'd gap, well the one's I'm always purchased seemed too.

My W14EX-U Denso are about .030 inch, new in the box, perfect for points. My 2F igniter-coil calls for a millimeter - .039 inch. After I gap them, the grounding strap isn't parallel with the center electrode, which takes some of the fun out of it. Which Densos are you using?

I'm fairly certain that your 2F coil can handle more than .031". I'm also fairly certain that you meant plus/minus .001" and not +/-1mm. ?

My W14EX-U Denso are about .030 inch, new in the box, perfect for points. My 2F igniter-coil calls for a millimeter - .039 inch. After I gap them, the grounding strap isn't parallel with the center electrode, which takes some of the fun out of it. Which Densos are you using?

I'm fairly certain that your 2F coil can handle more than .031". I'm also fairly certain that you meant plus/minus .001" and not +/-1mm. ?

Per the EPC the plugs that match the '85 FJ60 coil are the #90919-01065 units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom