80 Series carbon footprint - I lose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A relative of sorts was at our house over the holidays and noticed all of my land cruisers. Hard to miss I suppose. She started in with her first comment that I had a "hybrid sticker" on the back of my one that is decked out with solar. I smiled and said it's almost a hybrid and laughed it off. 30 minutes later I am getting the run down on why it's wrong to put that sticker on my cruiser. Apparently I am getting "noticed" by others for being something I'm not, "hybrid". Heck, I just did it to get better MPG I told her, not to get noticed.

The chat and digs continued throughout the day and each time I just smiled and laughed. But then things changed after she had a drink or two. Now not only was I a fraud for having my hybrid sticker, I am a carbon whore for driving all of these land cruisers. The land cruisers, I was told, should be outlawed in favor of economical cars. Well that was the breaking point for me, and I spewed my rhetoric. I've got one bottom and it can only drive 1 cruiser at a time so having a bunch of them at my house isn't hurting anyone.

Fast forward, and now I am being accused of ruining the earth because the carbon footprint of my cruiser is WAYYYYY more than her Chevy volt.

So now to the technical part.

How might one determine what the "carbon footprint" of driving a Land cruiser is vs. driving a chevy volt thing, or any other vehicle?

There was no Mention of what she was driving? If you really want to see their head explode, call them a Hypocrite. Tell them how every single hippy comparison on the internet is biased and their test are bought and paid for by the companies owned by the billionaire 1percent. You'll have her in tears, which is really fun by the way.

Everything in life is a compromise. ‘Nuff said...

7FC024F6-2AA8-4AAF-8A01-93A9EC174F20.jpeg

Ask how much carbon it takes to source all the minerals to make those batteries
Add to that the carbon foot print from mining the coal used to charge her batteries.
Add to that the environmental damage from strip mining half of WV, KY and PA to get that carbon.
Add to that the ....a fuggetaboutit! Just go get a Powered By Coal sticker and slap it on her bumper.

I've got a hybrid sticker on mine but no one has ever confronted me about it. Honestly though I wouldn't shy away from these conversations it's good to get ideas from both sides as long as both parties can keep an open mind. I like electric cars and would love one but I cant afford one. If shes so insistent on you driving electric tell her to buy you a Rivian or Cyber Truck. Lol

I think the real problem here is just a lack of damn manners and respect.... Family or not I would never lecture someone else about how they live their life while I was a guest in their home.

I guess I am one of those rare millennials who does not feel the need to lecture people....

In your case the appropriate response would be :flipoff2:.

I live in the U.P. of the peoples republic of Mich. At 30 below I'll take all the global warming they can send me.
in fact I gather as many used tires as I can every year so I can burn them to INCREASE my carbon footprint as much as possible. Nothing we can do will have an impact when China and other developing countries in the world are spewing crap out with utter disregard. Something you can think about next time you buy China to save a few bucks!!! I'm a conservationist NOT a preservationist or environmentalist. They just want to do something to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy and don't know s*** about the real environment. Personally I hope they all go live in a grass hut, Drive a donkey, s*** in a hole in the ground, and freeze to death in the dark!!!!!

I live in the U.P. of the peoples republic of Mich. At 30 below I'll take all the global warming they can send me.
in fact I gather as many used tires as I can every year so I can burn them to INCREASE my carbon footprint as much as possible. Nothing we can do will have an impact when China and other developing countries in the world are spewing crap out with utter disregard. Something you can think about next time you buy China to save a few bucks!!! I'm a conservationist NOT a preservationist or environmentalist. They just want to do something to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy and don't know s*** about the real environment. Personally I hope they all go live in a grass hut, Drive a donkey, s*** in a hole in the ground, and freeze to death in the dark!!!!!

I could not agree more. When people solicit my opinion on how to stop climate change today I always respond with "Nuke China, and then India if that does not work"

The reactions are fantastic.

Then I think about their armchair environmentalism while I pack loads of trash out of every campsite I visit.

I guess the moral of the story is Don't buy a "Hybrid" sticker for your truck. I had a bumper sticker on my Mustang years ago that read GOD WAS MY CO-PILOT (But we crash landed in the Andes and I had to eat him). I lived in the bible belt at the time and it did not go over well. I thought it was funny as hell.

I found this on the internet a few years back. When people criticize my cruiser I just point at their dogs and tell them I will get rid of the cruiser when they get rid of their dog. That usually ends the discussion.

"Their most startling conclusion is that dogs are significantly more damaging to the planet than SUVs. The authors claim that keeping a medium-sized dog has the same ecological impact as driving a 4.6 litre Land Cruiser 10,000km a year. ... Two big dogs have a bigger carbon footprint than some British citizens."

[/URL][/URL]
A+++++ I love you. Dogs are horrible. More kids die from dogs than from guns. Let's ban dogs.

On a serious note, buying a Prius instead of a land cruiser on net will be better for the environment. Let's not get pedantic. Yes batteries are bad for the environment, yes new cars are carbony to produce, but the numbers don't work in the cruisers favor for the most part. Arguments to the contrary are largely based on heresay and misinformation

This is why we should work to improve the economy of our vehicles through wheel skirts

On a serious note, buying a Prius instead of a land cruiser on net will be better for the environment. Let's not get pedantic. Yes batteries are bad for the environment, yes new cars are carbony to produce, but the numbers don't work in the cruisers favor for the most part. Arguments to the contrary are largely based on heresay and misinformation

This is why we should work to improve the economy of our vehicles through wheel skirts

Along the same line of thought I was considering removing my rear spoiler (or whatever toyota calls it) but always assumed it drastically increased my mpg through improved aerodynamics.

Shame on you for having a car collection.

Shame on all you car collectors....

Jay Leno
Jerry Seinfeld
Ellen DeGeneres
Ralph Lauren
Patrick Dempsey

Ellen DeGeneres has a car collection?!
My opinion of her just went up a bit. It's a small bit...but it went up.

Her premise and all arguments like it are completely ludicrous in the first place. If carbon emissions are the genuine concern of people who say ridiculous things like this, their focus is beyond misguided.

Is this person a vegetarian? Cow farts are worse for the environment than the entirety of every vehicle on the road, even according to biased greenie websites: https://www.ecowatch.com/which-is-worse-for-the-planet-beef-or-cars-1919932136.html

What about China and India? China alone accounts for more emissions than US and EU together combined: China Emits More Carbon Dioxide Than The U.S. and EU Combined India is right behind them.

Cars in general are one of the smaller concerns if we're talking carbon emissions, not to mention niche/enthusiast vehicles like land cruisers, are a microcosm of the smaller concern that is "cars in general." Then when you delve into what is already this absolutely tiny niche microcosm of something that is of smaller total emission concern in the first place, you have all the other legitimate recycling arguments that start to surface - i.e. keeping an old land cruiser going instead of buying the newest dishwasher on wheels with a touchscreen. One less vehicle in the land fill, one less vehicle being built.

People like your family member who raise these absurd concerns have not done any research whatsoever. They are simply regurgitating things they have been told that sound good to them or reaffirm some ridiculous opinion they already had.

Last edited:
musthave, you my friend must have the patients of a saint. As I've gotten older, I've found myself no longer holding back, or trying to be polite, especially when it comes to friends, family, or anybody trying to tell me what food i should eat. Or what kind of car i should drive, or how big my carbon footprint should be. So right from the start of that conversation, i would have told her if she dosen't like the fact that i own a few Land Cruisers, she can go POUND SAND, end of conversation.

musthave, you my friend must have the patients of a saint. As I've gotten older, I've found myself no longer holding back, or trying to be polite, especially when it comes to friends, family, or anybody trying to tell me what food i should eat. Or what kind of car i should drive, or how big my carbon footprint should be. So right from the start of that conversation, i would have told her if she dosen't like the fact that i own a few Land Cruisers, she can go POUND SAND, end of conversation.

Whale oil is a renewable resource

Since all my thought have posted and nuke goat is already trolling more bs .......

You’re a carbon whore :D

Whale oil is a renewable resource
Seeing as commercial whaling, and the trading of whale parts has been severely restricted for decades, due to a world wide band/treaty*, worrying about whale oil as a renewable resource is no longer an issue.

*Japan is one of the few country's that stills whales in Antarctic waters for what they call "scientific research" but it's really just a cover story for commercial sales in their country. The use of "scientific research" is a loophole in the treaty that Japan has been able to exploit to continue their fishing.

Along with Japan there are also a few Nordic country's that are allowed under the treaty to harvest whales for their meat as part of their country's long standing whaling traditions.

I could not agree more. When people solicit my opinion on how to stop climate change today I always respond with "Nuke China, and then India if that does not work"

The reactions are fantastic.
OK, now that is an interesting response. I'll have to keep that one in mind, for conversation's sake. :eek:

Tell the chick all lithium batteries are made using child slave labor from Congo, and you rather not have children's blood on your hands. Therefore, you choose to drive a care with minimal cobalt in it.

This is also why the holidays are only once a year. Any more, and the homicide rate would go up.

Don't try to reason with people like her. Their anger controls them to the point that they are insane with rage. This kind of social warrior complex is due to the rampant desire to belong to a cause greater than their sorry lives. Facts are irrelevant.

Besides, chicks dig dudes with cool looking Land Cruisers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom