TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have saved up a bunch of little plastic bowls, about 5-6" diameter and maybe 3" deep. Mostly from take out etc. EVERY time I remove even one bolt it goes in a bowl, period. If it is going to be a while before re install it then gets bagged and tagged.

I've lost sleep for the same reason Del and it'll drive you nuts.

Installed a new toilet. I made sure I had all I needed, wax ring, curb bolts, toilet supply line @16". It's a tall toilet and I measured it at the store for supply line. Install the thing only to find that the valve at the floor has a 1/2" compression instead of a 3/8" compression. DAMN. It's an under sink valve. Off to Chesnee hardware I go with the old hose in hand. No luck. I did get an adapter from the valve so i could get it operational until I get the proper hose. No luck.

Off to Lowes in Boiling Springs, found one in 12" , not long enough. Guy working there tells me they don't have hoses like that. I show him the one in my hand that I found on the shelf. Again he tells me they do not have those hoses. The old man, retired plumber that was helping me out tells the guy we just found it right there, pointing. Again "we do not have those hoses. Old guy says "please go away young man" to the Lowes guy.

Off to Home Depot in Spartanburg. They have what I need, lots of them in 12" and 20", no 16". So I settled for the 20". Two and and a half hours later I arrive home and 5 minutes later job is done.

Guy at Chesnee hardware told me, "It's plumbing Stan, requires at least three trips before you are done" He's a profit for sure :)
I hope you didn’t have to hold it the whole time.

Litterbugs. I absolutely despise lowlife scumbags who dump garbage on other people's property. I have some timber land out in the sticks in Anson County. It is on a dirt road not far from a county "convenience center." When folks show up late on a Saturday and the center is closed, they just drive a mile or so down the road, take a left onto the dirt road and dump their trash on me. In July I spent the better part of a Saturday using a pickup truck and trailer to haul away someone's old carpet. Not just a piece of carpet...about 1,200 square feet of carpet. Of course it was soaking wet. It was all I could do to pull it up onto my trailer. Just this last Sunday I was back down there and guess what? Somebody has dumped several bags of trash and what was left of an old rotten deck, stairs and all. I dug through the trash and found a prescription bag with a name, address and phone number. Called the Anson County Sheriff's office and spoke to a deputy who told me that if I did not catch the person in the act, there is nothing legally that can be done. His point being that the trash may have fallen off a truck accidentally with no knowledge of the offender. Seriously? A decommissioned wooden deck and 8 or 10 bags of trash all fell off a truck in a neat little pile twenty feet from the road? I thanked the deputy for his time and told him that I would take the matter into my own hands. Teresa C Polk at 3016 Griffin Shortcut Rd in Peachland, NC is about to get her deck and all her trash dumped back in her yard! I may get shot, but at least I will die a martyr for all that is rightful and just.

Need help Dave? I'll ride shotgun. 4.10 and 12 gauge :)

We have to ride the front of the property with a trash bag first every time we mow. My personal worst was on a wheeling trip when some scum bag two vehicles ahead of me got out, walked about 10 yards off the trail and threw a bag with all kinds of trash and dirty diapers in the woods.

They then walked forward to see what was going on up front. I grabbed their bag, opened the back of their truck and buried the bag (open) under all their camping stuff. I may have even spilled some out in their truck too :)

Litterbugs. I absolutely despise lowlife scumbags who dump garbage on other people's property. I have some timber land out in the sticks in Anson County. It is on a dirt road not far from a county "convenience center." When folks show up late on a Saturday and the center is closed, they just drive a mile or so down the road, take a left onto the dirt road and dump their trash on me. In July I spent the better part of a Saturday using a pickup truck and trailer to haul away someone's old carpet. Not just a piece of carpet...about 1,200 square feet of carpet. Of course it was soaking wet. It was all I could do to pull it up onto my trailer. Just this last Sunday I was back down there and guess what? Somebody has dumped several bags of trash and what was left of an old rotten deck, stairs and all. I dug through the trash and found a prescription bag with a name, address and phone number. Called the Anson County Sheriff's office and spoke to a deputy who told me that if I did not catch the person in the act, there is nothing legally that can be done. His point being that the trash may have fallen off a truck accidentally with no knowledge of the offender. Seriously? A decommissioned wooden deck and 8 or 10 bags of trash all fell off a truck in a neat little pile twenty feet from the road? I thanked the deputy for his time and told him that I would take the matter into my own hands. Teresa C Polk at 3016 Griffin Shortcut Rd in Peachland, NC is about to get her deck and all her trash dumped back in her yard! I may get shot, but at least I will die a martyr for all that is rightful and just.

This sheriff obviously needs to listen to Alice's Restaurant.... ;)

...trying to figure out where I left those two bolts.
HF frequently has the small magnetic trays for $1-$2. Get a bunch. Or take some cardboard scraps, poke a hole with a screwdriver, and press each screw or bolt into it. You can label each scrap with where they go. I've been talking about doing that myself for years now...rarely happens.

Does anybody else frequently find missing parts or tools near their beer fridge? And you swear they weren't there when you were actually looking for them 2 hours ago?

Why have stinkbugs chosen MY house to ride out the winter? I'll never see more than one at a time but there's always an immediate replacement for the previously dispatched or relocated bug. I've heard that other stink bugs are attracted to a scent put off when one is killed by squishing it so I've been catching them and releasing them outside. Read about making a soapy water/lightbulb trap. Tried it last night when I knew there was one flying around - I heard him for an hour flying around it. Woke up this morning and he's not in there, but he's still flying around that area. Our cats learned their lesson early on and will only watch them now.

When I had a business in Archdale I rented a dumpster and paid for twice monthly pick-ups. When the truck emptied the dumpster it was always quite full with no extra room. One day as I was dumping trash in an empty dumpster I saw a few bags of trash in the bottom. Of course I fished them out and found a name and called the neighbor whose name it was. She said her son had dumped the trash and it wold be taken care of and she was not happy with me. He did get it out.

Later more bags appeared and I found a pay stub with the name of the employer and the employee. So I called the business and left a message for the person with the instructions to remove the trash within 30 minutes or I would have her charged with trespassing. I did have signs posted and they were prominently affixed to the container. She called and with rightous indignation pleaded innocence saying her brother dumped the trash. I simply told her the clock was ticking. She appeared in a few minutes, cleaned out the 5 or 6 bags and drove off in a huff.

Simply put, I paid for the dumpster, they didn't. Dave, I will also volunteer to ride shotgun with you when you return their trash.

We've had a few stinkbugs lately too. I just toss them back out, but not before threatening to throw them on the kids just for fun. They do smell weird if you smash them (bugs, that is...not kids). A few years ago we had ladybugs, well at least I thought they were ladybugs. Turns out they were Asian Lady Beetles. They looked like ladybugs but they were more orange than red. They liked to hang out around the windows. While it is a known fact that finding a ladybug is considered good luck, this does not hold true with the Asian Lady Beetle. They can bite and if you find one it means that within three years the head gasket will fail on your 80 series Land Cruiser. That has been my experience.

Last edited:
Just install a cheap game camera on a trees facing inward at an angle so as they drive onto the road you can grab the license plate they probably won't see it.

HF frequently has the small magnetic trays for $1-$2. Get a bunch. Or take some cardboard scraps, poke a hole with a screwdriver, and press each screw or bolt into it. You can label each scrap with where they go. I've been talking about doing that myself for years now...rarely happens.

Does anybody else frequently find missing parts or tools near their beer fridge? And you swear they weren't there when you were actually looking for them 2 hours ago?

I had everything on trays but I must of put the two bolts that were missing in my pant pocket or something. It’s the only thing I can think of.
luckily I have two Toyota complete bolt kits I ordered from Australia and I was able tofind a replacement.

People.

You're on a free flowing, heavy traffic 2 lane road....the speed limit is 55. How obtuse, ignorant, selfish, absent minded can you be to hold up a line of 25 cars because you go 50 mph, with constant tapping of the brake pedal?

People, man.
They are the worst.
Maybe they're driving an HJ?

Maybe they're driving an HJ?
Or something like a BJ44 with a worn out engine, sacked suspension, and spotty brakes towing a pig cooker with only 1 wheel.

Or something like a BJ44 with a worn out engine, sacked suspension, and spotty brakes towing a pig cooker with only 1 wheel.
Yep. That’s what I meant. But don’t forget the child asleep with ear muffs in the back just above the hole over the exhaust.

Yea....I understand if it was something that couldn't do 55, but when you ride the brake pedal when going downhill because you might speed up to 56....you need to get off the road.

Also...who allows school busses, with no kids on them, to be on the interstate? Rolling along at 45 with flashers on? That's many times more dangerous than someone doing 75 in the hammer lane.

People.

You're on a free flowing, heavy traffic 2 lane road....the speed limit is 55. How obtuse, ignorant, selfish, absent minded can you be to hold up a line of 25 cars because you go 50 mph, with constant tapping of the brake pedal?

People, man.
They are the worst.
Raleigh for you. If someone gets near the actual speed limit you are lucky. I am not sure if it is the country drivers coming to town or the texter's or the age or a combo pack. Whatever it is, it is bad and now has to be planned into every venture out. The older drivers scare me the most. They never get near the speed limit and sometimes venture out in 5 o'clock traffic. They are going to hurt themselves or somebody out there on the road.

The biggest issue I have noticed with traffic since I moved back to NC is the amount of slow driving old people on the road. It is further complicated because NC or Raleigh area at least doesn’t have a bunch of street lights which is usually no big deal but for some reason they love using black material for the streets with no reflective stuff added to it. The roadways are super dangerous especially when it rains because your lights reflect off that dark surface a lot which does not allow you to see the lane markers.
I really hate driving between 9 a.m. and around 4 p.m. because that’s when all the old slow people love to drive around here. Luckily, I rarely have to deal with Raleigh traffic though.

I’d blame all the Yankees moving south.

I'm one of those "old slow people". I've always driven vans or larger suv's full of stuff so I tend to drive slower.
Since I've gotten the MB, I accelerate faster (It sounds good and it's fun to drive like that) I'm only keeping up with traffic. It seems everyone else drives like that, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom