Events/Trails Jumbo Grade Club Run 1/25/2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
The Club is doing Jumbo. I haven't done it, but I hear it is stocker friendly. Come one come all!

Meet: Jumbo Grade OHV, New Washoe City, NV 89704 There is a Valero Gas Station down the road if you wanna top off before arriving at the OHV area.
When: Saturday January 25, 2020
Time: Meet up/air down at 10AM / Depart NLT 10:30
Trail Leader: Will (AKA @DesertLake)
Duration: Straight shot appears to be around 40 mins, exploring and stopping for photos and what not might put us at 1.5 - 2 hours. We will either trace our steps back after lunch or folks can take more civilized routes home if they'd like.
Bring: A CB if you have one. GPS, camera, snacks, chairs, water, etc. It will be cold, so bring jackets and blankets.
Details: The trail will take us over the Virginia Range and into Historic Virginia City. Some of us will eat lunch and stock up on jerky at the Virginia City Jerky Co. or perhaps one of a handful of other places in town.

Last edited:
I could stumble around a bit but would feel better if someone else was the trail leader. Maps are pretty good for that area. Some well traveled roads. What do you think El Presidente? Postpone to another weekend? I could go skiing-the snow is good. Up for whatever.

Last edited:
"Jumbo Grade" was premapped in blue. The orange trail is the one I'd like to try. It should give us a nice view of WV on one peak and VC on the other before we drop into VC proper by way of Stewart St. IDK if the path is clear though since I have never tried it and that loop to the north may only be a suggestion for larger rigs. The path is 10.4 miles starting at 5400 ft ascending to 7900 ft and ending at around 6400. It should take us about 2.5 hours if we average 4MPH and not including stops.

1579749353002.png

Thoughts @DesertLake ?

You want to be careful with anything north facing right now. Regardless of how much snow we have received recently, the little we have gotten will be piled in those areas. Went riding in Genoa weekend before last and hit plenty of snow on everything North and West facing to cause a couple of hike-a-bike situations. Not very long, but enough to realize that even a small storm will leave stuff around for quite a while. Benefit is that this weekend is supposed to be in the mid-50s so should be decently warm for this time of year.

I'm going, but I may not get a minute to review your map beforehand. I think we will skip the steep descents I normally like, they need to be dry and grippy. There are a handful of ways to get to the little reservoir, from there if the trails are nasty we can take the gravel road into the south end of town. If dry we can drop down from the radio tower along spanish ravine.

OK I,m in but have a late lunch at 3:00 in Reno. I can just bail if it looks like we are getting late. Hopefully we would be done about 1:00. Right? Bringing the GMC. The Cruiser is in hibernation like the bears.🐻 Glad you'll be there Will. Your are the Jumbo go to guy!! Someday I would like to do that "Jeep" trail we passed on last time. Not in the truck though and not in the winter. Probably snow in the canyons and shade.

Sorry I missed this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom