What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately not original keys though.

20200111_083535.jpg

Finally got around to tearing into my H41 to inspect/reseal before ultimately loading it into the 40. Unfortunately, didn’t find good news. Output shaft is entirely gone...yes, there’s a chunk missing...and a ton of wear on the splines.

D8BC69FA-04A9-455C-95B3-60BFCAF60D5A.jpeg

Anyone happen to have a spare H41/H42 output shaft in workable condition laying around they’re willing to let go? Or a H42 with bad gears or synchros I could cannibalize?

Last edited:
Finally got around to tearing into my H41 to inspect/reseal before ultimately loading it into the 40. Unfortunately, didn’t find good news. Output shaft is entirely gone...yes, there’s a chunk missing...and a ton of wear on the splines.

View attachment 2179610

Anyone happen to have a spare H41/H42 output shaft in workable condition laying around they’re willing to let go? Or a H42 with bad gears or synchros I could cannibalize?
Looks machined, are we sure it shouldn't be that way. I don't know these things but found this.

@brian may know.

A chunk of one of the splines literally cracked off and fell out - so definitely not by design. There is a slight “notch” machined in just north of that point but the wear on the output shaft is a common failure point on this setup - one of the things you should always inspect before loading it into the truck.

Rick I have a transmission that you can have the output shaft is good. Yours whenever you can pick it up.

Gary,

Thanks! I’ll let you know ASAP, I don’t want to sacrifice a perfectly good 4-speed for the output shaft if I can find a (broken) donor or a stand-alone tailshaft in ok shape, but if push comes to shove I’m about 90% sure the H41 and H42 use the same shafts so that would probably work.

Really appreciate the offer!

@RWBeringer4x4 something to consider. When you get all your parts together you may wish to send anything prone to failure out for cryo treatment before you re assemble it. It's all science stuff but it reorganizes the steel on a molecular level and results are typically about a 20% increase in strength. I had my Birfs, front tcase output, stock tcase input, and tcase main shaft sent out and done. the cost was nominal but the turn around was a bit slow. I don't recall the company name but it was in CA and I dealt with Dean. This may not be the place but there is information and pricing here HOME

Theres a guy local to the area that does it...we use him to freeze wear parts.
Edit
York cryogenics
717 309 0639
Google maps lists it as permanently closed....pretty sure that's not correct.

Last edited:
A chunk of one of the splines literally cracked off and fell out - so definitely not by design. There is a slight “notch” machined in just north of that point but the wear on the output shaft is a common failure point on this setup - one of the things you should always inspect before loading it into the truck.
Rick, you need to consider the condition of the receiving splines also... The input gear on the tcase, no?
I used a McNamera gear in my split case from my 62.
Seems like these guys have you covered.

Rick, you need to consider the condition of the receiving splines also... The input gear on the tcase, no?
I used a McNamera gear in my split case from my 62.
Seems like these guys have you covered.

The input gear actually doesn’t seem terrible. If I move it to undamaged splines the play is pretty limited. Nothing detectable rotationally (into the teeth) with just a little bit “up and down” in the direction of the teeth.

As I recall from my previous transfer case rebuild, my output shaft was ok and there was still a touch of play... I’ve only ever worked with used parts so they’ve always been a touch “loose.” Not sure exactly how tight the fit should be...

On that note is there a spec or a measurement of play or run-put to evaluate that? I didn’t see anything in the FSM...

Good to know there’s a gear option - though the question with Terrain Tamer is always whether anyone imports that specific gear. I haven’t hit the link yet but hopefully they have the (rare) transition gear required to make this setup work if I wind up needing it. Otherwise I should be able to bolt up my (recently rebuilt) 4-speed case and just run the 1.96 ratio instead of 2.33.

Last edited:
The input gear actually doesn’t seem terrible. If I move it to undamaged splines the play is pretty limited. Nothing detectable rotationally (into the teeth) with just a little bit “up and down” in the direction of the teeth.

As I recall from my previous transfer case rebuild, my output shaft was ok and there was still a touch of play... I’ve only ever worked with used parts so they’ve always been a touch “loose.” Not sure exactly how tight the fit should be...

On that note is there a spec or a measurement of play or run-put to evaluate that? I didn’t see anything in the FSM...

Good to know there’s a gear option - though the question with Terrain Tamer is always whether anyone imports that specific gear. I haven’t hit the link yet but hopefully they have the (rare) transition gear required to make this setup work if I wind up needing it. Otherwise I should be able to bolt up my (recently rebuilt) 4-speed case and just run the 1.96 ratio instead of 2.33.
Zero play is the spec!
A hardening treatment is only a few mils thick. Once you have worn away the hardened surface, the rest of the splines will disintegrate very quickly.

May as well throw an Orion in there now as well, ya know, while you’re in there

Zero play is the spec!
A hardening treatment is only a few mils thick. Once you have worn away the hardened surface, the rest of the splines will disintegrate very quickly.

Zero play in both directions? I always get my terms screwed up but laterally? (in the direction of rotation) there is zero play. Longitudinally? (looking down the shaft) there is some play. I have two 31-tooth H42 input gears laying around that I test fit to compare and both of them have substantially MORE play than the 29-tooth gear in both directions. Granted, those two gears are the losers from the three I ended up with during my H42 rebuild (where I got equally lucky with destroyed components). I picked the least wobbly of the 3 to go back in...but I cant remember how "not-loose" it was.

May as well throw an Orion in there now as well, ya know, while you’re in there

The thought has 100% crossed my mind...This truck was really never intended to be a "dedicated wheeler" so the Orion has always been overkill in my mind - but now that I have you guys being bad influences, it's starting to make more sense. Get's me into that 70-80:1 crawl range everyone seems to like...

Impossible to have zero clearance in a splined fit. No need for it here in this application anyway. When the transfer case is assembled together with the transmission and the nut on the end of the transmission output shaft is tightened the gears and bearing inner races are all stacked tightly against a shoulder on the shaft. Yes things may loosen up a bit over the years but a slide fit between the gear splines and those on the shaft are fine.

Last edited:
Impossible to have zero clearance in a splined fit.

Kind of my thinking too - the splines should mate nicely side-to-side but down their length I feel like there's always generally SOME slop. Just not sure what's "normal" vs. "excessive." From what I remember, I don't think this 29-tooth input gear has any more play in it than the 31-tooth gear I wound up using in the 4-speed case but that doesn't mean I put a good gear in the 4-speed case either. :oops:

The thought has 100% crossed my mind...This truck was really never intended to be a "dedicated wheeler" so the Orion has always been overkill in my mind - but now that I have you guys being bad influences, it's starting to make more sense. Get's me into that 70-80:1 crawl range everyone seems to like...
To quote the sticker on @El Dahs truck. 4 out of 5 of the voices in my head say go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom