Asian Orange- ‘79 pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stephen, what would keep you from leaving the tank in place and running a new filler neck to say a 40 series plastic replacement tank strapped properly under bed area? That could be temporary while you decide on plans for original tank. I have a local place here that will dip, clean and repair old tanks and radiators.

Not a bad idea, I’m gonna look into some replacement tanks. I may in the meantime try the drain plug and flush out.

Don't overthink the problem.

😁

gas-can.jpg

Well this might not be a snag to a lot of you but to me I hit my first real snag this evening on the truck. Yesterday it would run but really rough. The last time I ran it a couple weeks ago it was actually pretty smooth and consistent but ran really rough again this evening. Luckily it has an old school serviceable glass fuel filter that I had taken apart and cleaned before Greg and I did the initial start up. I noticed it today and it was totally brown with rust particles. So I took it apart and cleaned it and it fired right back up and ran great for about 10 minutes before I shut it down. Decided to do an oil change since it had gotten up to temp and while doing that I noticed the fuel filter was just as bad. I’ve read that drawing the tank on these trucks can lead to a real problem of never getting the drain plug to seal back and I can only imagine how many bolts are going to snap trying to drop the tank. These are exactly the type of things that I always over think. If money were no object I’d buy a new tank but that’s not the case. Thoughts and input appreciated! Here’s a pic of the filter after just about 10 minutes or less if running.

View attachment 2139838

The only real solution is to just replace rusty old tanks. Trust me. I fought this and fought this until I just replaced the tank. I got mine from autozone online for like $80. It is from a long bed 85 -88 Toyota. I could not find any for my 82. The new tank fit perfect. No mods.
Fit in the exact location as the s***ty old one I had. It is deeper because it has 5 more gallons than stock.

The only real solution is to just replace rusty old tanks. Trust me. I fought this and fought this until I just replaced the tank. I got mine from autozone online for like $80. It is from a long bed 85 -88 Toyota. I could not find any for my 82. The new tank fit perfect. No mods.
Fit in the exact location as the s***ty old one I had. It is deeper because it has 5 more gallons than stock.

Awesome info on the 85-88 years working! Thanks Del!

I don’t see why not. The hard part is figuring out what tank to order. But I would start with dropping ur tank. Get rough measurements. And take a picture of how the top of the tank is configured. Where the vent lines, sensing unit hole and where the fill hole is.
I searched for a long bed tank since mine is a long bed. Then I just narrowed it down by comparing pictures of tanks that looked the same as mine. Because there are like 20 different part numbers.
For example :
Short bed 4wd tank
Short bed 2wd tank
Short bed 4wd diesel tank
Short bed 2wd diesel tank
Long bed 4wd tank
Long bed 2wd tank
Etc. etc. etc.

Because the tank is deeper (5 gallons more than stock) i did have to clearance one of the bed supports. No big deal. Just a couple of hits with the hammer

Also to make it easier to mount the tank I elongated two of the mounting holes on the tank. I shaved off about 1/8 inch.

I will have to modify the bash plate. I have to cut it and add about 3 inches on one side in order to be able to mount it. The deeper tank does not allow it to fit.

The intake nozzle is wider in the newer truck tanks. I could not find a new fill hose so I reused my old one. In order to use it all I did was compress the intake nozzle on the tank for the hose to slide in then clamped it down. If u go with a bigger hose to fit the tank it won’t work with the part that attaches to the truck where u fill.

Hope it makes sense. I have no leaks and have a new tank with 5 extra gallons. It works so I’m happy.

Oh by the way. My initial plan was to line the tank. I bought a por15 lining kit and began to prep the tank. I threw in a couple of chains with the metal prep and shook it around to help with cleaning off some of the rust. I am glad I did that because after I did that I noticed a few pin holes in the tank. That’s when I knew it was pointless to try to salvage the tank.

Now I don’t have to change out filters every few miles and the truck runs perfect.

enablement engaged. not on the level of Nathan's truck, but could be fun to paint up and let the kids bash it around.

and one for @jfz80

and one for @Rice

Perfect @stevezero They need to get a couple years older before they need one on Nathan’s level. Thanks!!

Youre upping your game now @stevezero
Am i supposed to buy and rc or a mini truck first ? Lol

That last 45 you sent was no where near the price listed. But.... i could dig a scaler. :)

I mispasted the link. the new link was for a 45ish 1/16 or 1/24 truck.

a buddy found one at a goodwill back in the spring.

Gas tank ordered and should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the insight @SFROMAN

Started the bed removal process, got about half the bolts out, still soaking some of the other ones. Luckily the bed has been removed before so Im not dealing with super crusty original bolts.

Also finally managed to get all 4 wheels and tires on the truck, huge difference appearance wise and the ground clearance is incredible even on worn out stock springs.

0AD02F78-D71C-4DB4-86A4-ADA305365D71.jpeg

5D485138-FDB7-4D62-A464-91A61B5E842C.jpeg

That's hawt!

What's your plan for the rear bumper? Replace or rock the old skool nerf style that is on there?

That's hawt!

What's your plan for the rear bumper? Replace or rock what's left of the old skool nerf style that is on there?
FIFY:grinpimp:

BWAAHAAAHAAA!! Couldn’t have said it better myself! @S4Cruiser plan is to remove and go bumperless for a while. It’s totally shot, and I pretty much destroyed what was left of it when I pushed it into the garage with the tractor LOL

BWAAHAAAHAAA!! Couldn’t have said it better myself! @S4Cruiser plan is to remove and go bumperless for a while. It’s totally shot, and I pretty much destroyed what was left of it when I pushed it into the garage with the tractor LOL

In case you want some sort of custom dude welded up I know a mechanic.

:)

HUGE thanks to @WhiteTiger911 @jamesurq and @jfz80 for coming up and digging into ol Asian Orange with me! The bed is off and new gas tank is mocked up. I’ve gotta get longer bolts to drop the new tank a little lower to allow for the taller tank. I knew the frame had some rot on the drivers side and was worried how much more we would find when we took the bed off. Luckily the only rot we found was the place I already knew about and the rest of the frame was remarkably solid. So glad I took @SFROMAN advice and got the new tank. The inside of the old one was incredibly nasty. The gas looked like gunky sweet tea. The pictures don’t do it justice.

82DBF238-4167-4495-821D-045F7DF1FFE9.jpeg

5B6FB81F-B57C-46B9-8DBC-DAEFBDC9E16C.jpeg

5CEED7B8-DAAE-4B93-8199-815A884ADEBB.jpeg

F33BF554-997B-4CE8-A273-B04069C6C12C.jpeg

DB66C0F1-8EEE-4E08-9CB6-B9F182B863D4.jpeg

Make sure you POR 15 or clean, paint the frame between the gas tank and the cab. There is also a cross member there. My truck had lots of dirt, leaves and it was nasty. It didn’t harm the frame but it is probably what caused the rust on the bed floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom