Dash light replacement in an 80? OEM vs new LED (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to @jcardona1 this is the list I'm using but I'm not doing LED

MRqACcW.png

d68bVGE.png

I replaced the AC lights with green...I decided against blue since the cluster was going to be blue. I like the green in the AC bc it isn't super bright....looks good.

View attachment 1365653

View attachment 1365654

View attachment 1365655

View attachment 1365656
Hi,

I'm looking for a similar bulb for the lights in the heating console of a LC 1997 80 series collectors series. Bulb is 10mm wide and 15mm tall. Any ideas on a model number and where I could find this in North america.

Thanks
Duncan

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

Does anyone know the small light type/size in the defrost button? H4 button? CDL button? Believe they should all be the same. thanks.

Got my answer. thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for a similar bulb for the lights in the heating console of a LC 1997 80 series collectors series. Bulb is 10mm wide and 15mm tall. Any ideas on a model number and where I could find this in North america.

Thanks
Duncan

View attachment 2305913

View attachment 2305914

View attachment 2305915
Seeking this bulb as well. Any help would be appreciated. Took the dash apart to sort out a heating issue - never knew a few of these bulbs existed as the PO had removed the socket and folded it back into the dash cavity. Now that I have it all apart, I figure I ought to replace them.

The only issue I had when I replaced all my instrument cluster lamps was the bulb for the charge indicator near the volt meter. An led is not suitable for this because the bulb is part of a current bridge. If the alternator is working the lamp will not glow. The led upsets this. Also it is a well known symptom of alternator failure in the 80 for some of the dash lamps to glow. The use of an LED in the Charge indicator position causes this to occur as well. So everything except the charge lamp is an LED in my dash. Most of the interior lamps and the rear brake tail clusters and the number plate lamps are LED as well.

Hey all. My 'D' shift pos dash light has died, and was considering changing to LEDs while I'm in there replacing it. Can anyone confirm in this fantastic bulb size chart that the "shift indicator (cluster)" is the PRND in the dash between the rev/speedo displays? Want to be 100% sure before I order parts and pull my dash out :) Cheers!

…and also, are the PRND lights different coloured GLOBES or does the dash have the coloured transparent that control the colours, i.e., should I be getting white globes for here?

Last edited:
Hey all. My 'D' shift pos dash light has died, and was considering changing to LEDs while I'm in there replacing it. Can anyone confirm in this fantastic bulb size chart that the "shift indicator (cluster)" is the PRND in the dash between the rev/speedo displays? Want to be 100% sure before I order parts and pull my dash out :) Cheers!

…and also, are the PRND lights different coloured GLOBES or does the dash have the coloured transparent that control the colours, i.e., should I be getting white globes for here?

That chart is wrong. Easy example is the cluster illumination is not a 194 but a 158 bulb. The 158 bulbs also have a green condom for color I just replaced all my bulbs in my 94 and the PRND in the dash was 84999-50180 or 90072-02005

There were 8 white bulbs and 1 white bulb with green condom. The green bulb is ambient light while the white bulbs light up the indicators which are colored from the display

Check this out.

Yes, the shift indicator is a t4 neowedge. For a couple bucks on 90072-02005, why not stick with OEM? It's been noted before that some Amazon/etc bulbs don't fit quite right (happened to me with the small 74s) so many folks use autolumination or superbrightleds for aftermarket.

Not about your question, but - having changed the 4 cluster bulbs with standard and LED a bunch of times, the 194 listing is not exactly "incorrect," but I assume 158s were factory and what you get if you buy OEM** They are the same physically, but 194 is just slightly higher wattage. I have never used 158s as replacements, personally. Both work - I don't recall hearing issues with standard 194s in a Toyota.

**If you want to keep the SAME factory green on a clear bulb that uses a colored cap and can't save the original cap (they can be fused to the bulb & brittle) just buy OEM. I've tried every green/lime/yellow/etc aftermarket cap I could find, and none are the same. Too saturated, mainly, but that 90s OEM lime green is just right.

Super easy to change all this, but I've taken my cluster out a million times, so it's mindless, hah.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone—I've only been a forum member here for a couple months and it's incredible how much knowledge there is on ih8mud and the eagerness for punters to share. It's like the oldskool internet!

I have considered replacing just the OEM bulb, but having not removed the dash before I feel it's a big task and therefore wanted to replace bulbs with LEDs so I wouldn't have to deal with it again. I quite like the idea of a generally white dash cluster over the lime green, BUT I do particularly like the emerald green of the P and D. I've read that the quality LEDs are dimmable, which is important if I decide to go white for the cluster. Last thing I want is to be blinded by the instruments while driving at night. I have the luxury of the 80 being a second car, so can leave the dash out for a few days while I try LED fitment and reorder parts if necessary.

Related, has anyone found a diagram/explainer on the PRND cluster and which bulbs affect which letter? There are way more bulbs that letters and arranged in a weird, stepped (?) pattern:

dash-cluster-PRND-unit.jpg

It's really not a difficult or big job at all, but there are a couple finicky things if you've never done it before. Let us know if you need any help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone—I've only been a forum member here for a couple months and it's incredible how much knowledge there is on ih8mud and the eagerness for punters to share. It's like the oldskool internet!

I have considered replacing just the OEM bulb, but having not removed the dash before I feel it's a big task and therefore wanted to replace bulbs with LEDs so I wouldn't have to deal with it again. I quite like the idea of a generally white dash cluster over the lime green, BUT I do particularly like the emerald green of the P and D. I've read that the quality LEDs are dimmable, which is important if I decide to go white for the cluster. Last thing I want is to be blinded by the instruments while driving at night. I have the luxury of the 80 being a second car, so can leave the dash out for a few days while I try LED fitment and reorder parts if necessary.

Related, has anyone found a diagram/explainer on the PRND cluster and which bulbs affect which letter? There are way more bulbs that letters and arranged in a weird, stepped (?) pattern:

View attachment 3497125
Most of our bulbs are 30 years old so I feel like thats a pretty good run. I have never had an LED I installed in a xar last more than a few years.

My understanding is many people who’ve used LED bulbs in the dash are now switching them back to non-led due to the failure rate…..

My understanding is many people who’ve used LED bulbs in the dash are now switching them back to non-led due to the failure rate…..

Dome lights, accent lights, dash lights etc all eventually begin to flicker, super annoying when the drivers start to fail.

I've read that the quality LEDs are dimmable...

Note, that just because an LED is dimmable, that's doesn't mean it's a great choice, as I learned. The ones I put in are WAY TOO BRIGHT, and if I dim them down enough, then the rest of the dash is basically unlit. One of these days, I have to go back and put in dimmer, dimmable LEDs (which I have now, but haven't gotten around to), or maybe just go back to incandescent. Or, you have to replace EVERYTHING in the dash with LEDs.

I made this grid when I put LEDs in, which might be helpful:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom