1HZ A/C Compressor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I am planning on a 1HZ swap into my 1977 FJ40. I'd like to add A/C to the truck at the same time and I'm researching various setups.

I found a photo of a 1HZ swapped FJ40 with a Denso A/C compressor (Model: 10S17C). Rather than using the conventional "manifold" type A/C lines, it uses simple #10 and #8 O-ring ports.

Here is a photo of it:

BDDF9924-F268-4-F7-B-AC9-D-9-CC299-A7546-A.jpg

5-A18-E54-C-8-E99-469-F-9-EB8-0-FB5-D90-C98-EB.jpg

Does anyone have any specs or part numbers on the A/C compressor? Or the adapter fittings? Thanks!

I'll be right there with you soon enough. I've put off the A/C project til next spring, but I've been planning on using a stock Denso 10PA style compressor and use one of these manifold adapters to plumb the lines. Denso / GM Compressor Adapter for 10PA15C, 10PA17C and 10PA20C models

I would be interested to learn what other compressors have the correct mounting bolt and pulley pattern to work with the 1HZ factory mounting bracket as it is obviously difficult to find a 1HZ A/C compressor in the US.

I'll be right there with you soon enough. I've put off the A/C project til next spring, but I've been planning on using a stock Denso 10PA style compressor and use one of these manifold adapters to plumb the lines. Denso / GM Compressor Adapter for 10PA15C, 10PA17C and 10PA20C models

I would be interested to learn what other compressors have the correct mounting bolt and pulley pattern to work with the 1HZ factory mounting bracket as it is obviously difficult to find a 1HZ A/C compressor in the US.

I actually pulled your Classified's question before I posted. The Denso manifold adapters are readily available.

Denso-AC.jpg

Still not sure what A/C compressor everyone prefers for the 1HZ swap. It would be nice if it were bolt-on, readily available, and conventional #10 and #8 ports.

I did a little bit more research. Evidently there are two different types of compressors for the 1HZ - the Long Type and the Short Type.

Long Type = 95 mm from front mount bolt hole to center of pulley
Long-Type.jpg

Short Type = 65 mm from front mount bolt hole to center of pulley
Short-Type.jpg

Edit:

Toyota "Long" A/C Compressor PN: 88320-60630
Toyota "Short" A/C Compressor PN: 88320-60340

Last edited:
Here's what I did on my 1HZ swap into my 60. The compressor (10PA15C clone) info is in the thread. I also used a top plate on the compressor that allowed me to use generic AC fittings.

Last edited:
Here's what I did on my 1HZ swap into my 60. The compressor info is in the thread. I also used a top plate on the compressor that allowed me to use generic AC fittings.

Thanks so much! How do you like your turbo 1HZ in the 60 series? Any chance I could get a ride? Beer is on me.

I love the turbo'd 1HZ! What part of town are you? I'm in NW Austin (Anderson Mill/620).

I love the turbo'd 1HZ! What part of town are you? I'm in NW Austin (Anderson Mill/620).

I'm just down the road - Parmer and North Lamar. Right by Walnut Creek Park.

I'm probably going to be mountain biking there tomorrow after work. Maybe you can stop by and I'll let you drive it around.

Here's the top plate/manifold that I used: Cold Hose - Nippondenso 10PA Compressor Manifold Fitting with Short High Pressure Relief Valve - Denso 10PA17C 10PA20C Compressor Manifolds - Compressor Adapters - Specialty Fittings

You will have to buy some right angle fittings and make your own hoses. I have a hose crimping tool and AC vac. I can help you when the time comes.

I need to sell the Hilux and buy a 1HZ first!
0-F691-B97-9-ED6-4-E7-A-851-E-739-F84-D3-B388.jpg

I'm probably going to be mountain biking there tomorrow after work. Maybe you can stop by and I'll let you drive it around.

Heck yeah, that would be awesome! I'll shoot you a PM.

I can't get those compressor numbers to cross. A few questions might help ID it: is it 12 or 24 volt? 6 groove clutch? any idea of clutch diameter? There seem to be very few 10S17C compressors where the hose connections are on that side of the compressor, most have them on the other side. I believe the fittings are Omega #'s 35-31003 and 35-31004.
35-31003.jpg
35-31004.jpg

I can't get those compressor numbers to cross. A few questions might help ID it: is it 12 or 24 volt? 6 groove clutch? any idea of clutch diameter? There seem to be very few 10S17C compressors where the hose connections are on that side of the compressor, most have them on the other side. I believe the fittings are Omega #'s 35-31003 and 35-31004.View attachment 2176097View attachment 2176098

I don't have any more details, but I reached out to the builder of the truck. Hopefully he gets back to me. It may be some sort of hybrid compressor where he's pulled the clutch off a different unit. I assume it is 12 volt because it's a domestic truck. But not sure.

Thanks for the intel on the Omega adapter fittings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom