Who wants to be a hero? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just got finished doing the distributor O Ring and I go to check out my amazing work and I gone and messed up. It's shaking violently, won't go above 1k rpm, and through the code below. I've got a picture of the before and after of the distributor. I really tried to get it closer to the original position but after messing with it for a good ten minutes this was the best I could do. So was this just too far from the original position? It went in easily to one position, but it wasn't the position pictured so I kept trying and trying until I got what you can see in the after pic. Or could it have rotated a little bit and the gear was in a different position than what I thought? How would I fix this from home? And if there's just no way then I'll be towing it to the dealership like a chump

45816B6D-ED47-4134-A24C-46A8C4D2FB9A.jpeg

E9D73AE0-D066-4925-98DC-C6BB747E796B.jpeg

41B48BC7-F5B2-44AA-A4E1-593DE43A4341.jpeg

ItsBavid, I see your a new member of mud, so if you dont already have a copy of the Factory service manual for your truck. I'd downloud a free copy from here on mud, it's got a wealth of info in it that'll help you fix/troubleshoot problems like this in your driveway. Below is a link to the page where you can download the manual for your year truck.

Last edited:
I take it you didn't match mark the inside of the dizzy for the rotor?
Its not a matter of too close or too far, it has to be perfect.
You'll need to set cylinder No1 and TDC compression. Its very easy to do this with the spark plugs out and turn the crank with a socket till zero lines up on the timing marks. To tell if its on the compression stroke stick a tight wad of paper towel in the spark plug boot hole, when it POPS out, you are on compression stroke.
Pull the dizzy again and re-install so the rotor lines up with the No1 spark plug position. Need to install cap, mark location of No1 plug wire on body, remove cap and transfer mark where its visible so as the rotor comes into position you can tell if its centered on the mark.

If somebody has an easier way to re-time a "lost" dizzy, I'm all ears.

Take a couple of minutes and try to relax before you go at it. I get the impression from how you wrote that you are pretty frustrated so calm with help you. good news is you are likely only a step or two away from getting it back to normal.
Like what was said before you seem to be off a tooth. your pictures seem to show it being pretty close but there is a difference if you look closely at your pictures. it is frustrating but you really are better than when i did mine, where it didn't run at all. Not sure which picture is your before and which is the after, but I am lazy and would just try one tooth forward and if that doesn't make it even a little better then i would go two teeth back from the one tooth forward position and see how that goes. Others might not agree with my methods (with out a timing light). However I have a timing which would give me an indication on if it was really advanced or retarded.

Also I could be wrong and SHOULD be corrected if I am but it looks like you have a small amount of oil coming in your distributor. If that is the case you will be like me and in need of another distributor. the O-ring doesn't fix that issue, as it is an internal seal that starts to go if i am correct.

obviously doesn't have to happen today or anything.

Timing lights are pretty cheap to get a basic one. I’d either buy one or borrow one and follow the FSM (there’s a wire jumper that needs to be in place when setting timing) and get it right where it needs to be. In the mean time to get it running you could adjust it slightly without a light till it runs better. It’s the rotors relationship to the distributor that matters for timing so assuming the top pic is the before then it looks like the body of the distributor needs to go slightly counter-clockwise. But you really need a timing light to nail it.

Thanks guys. I reached out to my buddy who's a tech and he said the same thing as yall. Tomorrow will be a tedious day but I'm a bit relieved that I didn't do anything catastrophic to the motor.

Thanks guys. I reached out to my buddy who's a tech and he said the same thing as yall. Tomorrow will be a tedious day but I'm a bit relieved that I didn't do anything catastrophic to the motor.
Let's talk through this:
Did you place the engine on TDC before you pulled the dizzy?

You are in the right place, sorry I can add anything to help but I'm sure all the knowledge on here will get you going

Don't HAVE to, but it makes thing easier.

Now that you've rotated the engine, it will make it a bit more challenging.

Is the distributor BODY back in the same place rotationally as before? With the bolt in the EXACT same place it started?

Don't HAVE to, but it makes thing easier.

Now that you've rotated the engine, it will make it a bit more challenging.

Is the distributor BODY back in the same place rotationally as before? With the bolt in the EXACT same place it started?
In hindsight I should have just done that. The body is in the exact same position.

In hindsight I should have just done that. The body is in the exact same position.
Have you double checked the plug wires and coil wires to make sure they are all properly inserted?

Have you double checked the plug wires and coil wires to make sure they are all properly inserted?
So I unplugged two of the coil wires (the spark plugs wires right?) that I removed to gain better access and inspected them after the failure. Noticed the center one was missing "silicon" between the "prod." Not sure if that's how it was before. I haven't checked the plug wires because I'm not sure which ones you're talking about.

I'm guessing that you reversed the two plug wires when you reinstalled them. If you have an OEM distributor cap there are numbers on the top of the cap for the cylinder number it connects to. OEM wires also have the cylinder number on them.

Looking at your pictures it looks to me that the after position is rotated clockwise several degrees (connector on top lines up different with the hose above). Did you try rotating the body counterclockwise? You may not be off a full tooth and are just off a significant amount of rotation. Try it, worst case there is no improvement in how it runs.

If that doesn't work people have already described the right way to fix it. Here are the FSM pages that explain how to go about resetting the correct distributor position.

Attachments

• IG-9 Distributor.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IG-10 Distributor.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 50
  • IG-11 Distributor.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 51
I'm guessing that you reversed the two plug wires when you reinstalled them. If you have an OEM distributor cap there are numbers on the top of the cap for the cylinder number it connects to. OEM wires also have the cylinder number on them.
That would be great if I did do that but I just unplugged the center one and the bottom left and kept them separated in a specific way that was fail safe. I'll double check it tomorrow though. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom