Builds Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They look gorgeous!

Love the bronze. I was tempted to ceramic coat my down pipe and J pipe gold, but decided on machine grey.

Here's a better shot of the wrinkling as it dried overnight. Instructions said to bake at 200 degrees to cure faster. My wife would kill me if I used the oven. Plus I think it wouldn't fit if I tried anyway since the cover is to damn long. I will be taking a sanding wheel to the lettering to leave them raw aluminum. If I'm adventurous enough, I might try to hand paint the lettering in the same burnt bronze coloring. Shooting some in a small cup and using one of the kids small paint brushes. :cool:

I'm going to hit the heat gun and keep it moving around for 10-15 mins later tonight. It should create tighter wrinkle pattern.

20191220_073906.jpg

Here's a better shot of the wrinkling as it dried overnight. Instructions said to bake at 200 degrees to cure faster. My wife would kill me if I used the oven. Plus I think it wouldn't fit if I tried anyway since the cover is to damn long. I will be taking a sanding wheel to the lettering to leave them raw aluminum. If I'm adventurous enough, I might try to hand paint the lettering in the same burnt bronze coloring. Shooting some in a small cup and using one of the kids small paint brushes. :cool:

I'm going to hit the heat gun and keep it moving around for 10-15 mins later tonight. It should create tighter wrinkle pattern.

View attachment 2161344
You should have taped off the oil fill cap hole , crankcase gasses and oil are going to cause that paint to dissolve into your engine oil. I would clean all that paint out of this area.

You should have taped off the oil fill cap hole , crankcase gasses and oil are going to cause that paint to dissolve into your engine oil. I would clean all that paint out of this area.

yup I am going too clean it out. I didn't mask it off cause i was going to clean it anyway since it has build up inside.

You didn’t mention anything done too the cylinder walls? Honing crosshatching? And pistons, did you just put new rings? Wow great that you can do 3 angle valve job.

I'm spending a ton of money at parts. Mostly trying to order amayama and partsouq if possible to try to save some money. I've spent well over $800 just at the local toyota dealership. Not to mention all the money I spent during black friday at Joey's website for maintenance items. Me and my buddy are doing the majority of the rebuild ourselves which is saving me a ton of money on labor. Parts are still not cheap tho =(

I feel ya. I did the rebuild entirely myself (with friends help) to save that labor cost as well. Think i was still in 6k in parts at the end.
Looking back i would have been better off just buying a new shortblock from Onur (since they were still available).
You won't regret it when you're out in the middle of nowhere with a solid engine.

I did the same wrinkle on my VC. Definitely hit it with heat when its still wet. Wait til it tacks up so you don't blow the paint around but then slowly and evenly heat the whole thing. Will tighten it up real nice.

You didn’t mention anything done too the cylinder walls? Honing crosshatching? And pistons, did you just put new rings? Wow great that you can do 3 angle valve job.

The walls looks great and still has cross hatching on them. But since I'm already there, I am doing a very light hone on the cyl walls. using NPR standard size rings and OEM rod bearings.

My buddy has been a toyota mechanic 30+ years. He's the one that's helping me with the build. He demos everything to me twice and then just hands the tools over for me to complete the job. I'm not a mechanic by trade, just a hobbyist but can pick up things fairly quickly.

Last edited:
So you are honing then cross hatching? And reusing pistons and new rings? I am a newb 🤪

Got my weld on bung today from Joey. Those that are interested in a weld on bung. Here's some basic instructions.

I used the supplied step bit and drilled all the way through. Fit like a glove!
WARNING. GO SLOW when you get close. You do not want to screw this pan up. If you go to far you can't replace it with a new pan (12101-66051) as they are discontinued. Technically amayaya still has the upper pan, but they are $800 shipped. o_O I'm sure your local welder can repair it and fill weld if you screw up.

I mig weld really good and did not want to take a chance on this because of the cost implications if I screwed up. I have a spool gun and failed miserably welding aluminum in the past. I took it to my local welder and he spent 15 mins tig welding both outside and inside to make it leak free. Shop price was $150/hr and it cost me $40. YMMV

weld6.jpg

weld5.jpg

weld4.jpg

weld2.jpg

weld1.jpg

Funny it does look like a bung hole for real 😂

Only took me about a week before I got my lazy ass back to work on my block. Pistons out now and I changed the brushes on my upgraded 150amp Sequoia alternator. That's enough wrenching for tonight. Back to drinking.

20191231_193557.jpg

20191231_200037.jpg

20191231_192630.jpg

20191231_190935.jpg

Last edited:
Pic of the crank with no rods. Crank and rod bearings looks beautiful. Not taking off the crank and leaving it alone. Trying to not get further in the rabbit hole this time.

I know i had to do rings because of my high oil consumption so I'm putting in NPR rings and OME Rod bearings. I could have probably got away with leaving the original rod bearings but I'm already in there.

20191231_195923.jpg

Fuel pump upgrade using a modified Denso (93-97 Supra) fuel pump. Denso/Kysoan 1020 Fuel Pump 300 LPH

I've used this same one in the past with my 1st gen Turbo 4Runner and it worked great. Since I was going Forced Induction it was time to upgrade the fuel system using this Kyosan fuel pump. I also used a brand new OEM fuel filter and an OEM Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I followed @NLXTACY instructions on modifying the wiring and using the hose clamps. HOW TO: Fuel pump install plus upgrade

Info on pump:
The 1020 Kyosan/Denso 300LPH high pressure fuel pump is the OEM fuel pump for the 93-97 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo. It is used as a popular universal fuel pump upgrade for automotive performance enthusiasts. Supports up to 800HP. You do not have to upgrade any components of your fuel systems to adapt to this pump since the overflow of fuel is sent back to the engine by the fuel pressure regulator via the fuel return line, which cools down engine components and your gas tank.

20200101_160535.jpg

20200101_160438.jpg

20200101_141736.jpg

20200101_142921.jpg

20200101_161311.jpg

Last edited:
That's inspiring work! Well done, and I hope it all continues to go well. That's pretty sweet you have a long time Toyota technician buddy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom