2UZ FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ Company is doing the GR series engines from the tacos. Any interest in this?

Now that settles it! I’m going 2uz swap and I’ll document it here. I needed that kind of logic!

One thing I might do leading up to the swap is whittle down the wiring in the donor truck so it’ll run on a stripped down harness. Should make testing easier and then I can use the 40 all the way up to when I pull the engine.
Desire is a fickle thing- I’m currently fighting a strong desire to put a ls in place of a good working 350 that replaced a good working F engine. I have the physical engine, but lack the other bits and pieces. The 2UZ has a lot of pluses, but a running vehicle is hard to argue against. There’ll always be another sexy engine, but the one that takes you down the road is hard to beat. That being said I’ll be pulling the perfectly good SBC in mine next month- gods willing....

Last edited:
There is always another fad. Pull the trigger on one that best suits overall needs now and run with it. Stick with it. Time spent noodling means time not seeing the sites and enjoying life. There is a priceless cost to that.

Merry Christmas to all.
I second Tank5. If your heart is set on the 2UZ, then do it. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll be posting mine as I go along.

Merry Christmas to all.
I second Tank5. If your heart is set on the 2UZ, then do it. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'll be posting mine as I go along.

Yeah, Tank hit it on the head. The 2uz will take longer and cost more money, but in the end it’s what I really WANT to build. Unique and completely Toyota.

Reading your first post which started in 2017 sounds like you have a family. Taking on big projects with a family usually doesn't mesh well. Either the family is neglected or the project takes forever to finish. Whenever I do a project, I estimate the time and money it will take. In reality I spend 3 times the time and money. The forums have some really cool builds that are very drool-worthy. But not everyone has those kind of circumstances. So weigh this carefully and don't let the shiny build threads bind you from reality. Be realistic and willing to compromise. You have a nice 40 that will go almost anywhere as is. 2019 is almost over. 2 years and this swap has not really progressed at all. But u pull that 2f and your cruiser isn't moving for 8 to 10 years I bet. And after that 8 to 10 years it will probably only move because someone else buys it as a project for cheap. If your considering a sniper, I'm guessing it's because your thinking that perhaps a 2uz may be more to bite off than you can chew, or u have to many irons in the fire. If u really gotta have a v8, maybe consider paying to have the swap done. Anyway, that's the red flag I see, maybe I'm wrong.

Reading your first post which started in 2017 sounds like you have a family. Taking on big projects with a family usually doesn't mesh well. Either the family is neglected or the project takes forever to finish. Whenever I do a project, I estimate the time and money it will take. In reality I spend 3 times the time and money. The forums have some really cool builds that are very drool-worthy. But not everyone has those kind of circumstances. So weigh this carefully and don't let the shiny build threads bind you from reality. Be realistic and willing to compromise. You have a nice 40 that will go almost anywhere as is. 2019 is almost over. 2 years and this swap has not really progressed at all. But u pull that 2f and your cruiser isn't moving for 8 to 10 years I bet. And after that 8 to 10 years it will probably only move because someone else buys it as a project for cheap. If your considering a sniper, I'm guessing it's because your thinking that perhaps a 2uz may be more to bite off than you can chew, or u have to many irons in the fire. If u really gotta have a v8, maybe consider paying to have the swap done. Anyway, that's the red flag I see, maybe I'm wrong.

Definitely a red flag to be considered. I’ve thought about doing the Sniper while I finish parting out the 100 series and pairing down the wiring harness. That way when life becomes too busy I’m still able to drive my 40 and I can sit on the 100 series.

Another option would be to find a bare chassis from another 40 and work on a separate 2uz build. Again non of this is necessary since, like you mentioned, my truck is running fine now.

I would keep your 40 running and driving as long as you can while you sort out what you need to do the swap. Keep the 100 series rolling chassis and use it as an engine stand to sort out what you need to keep for the swap.

After you have the harness figured out and minimized start your swap. This way you can keep your 40 driving as long as want.

Sometimes its not just about the destination, the trip might make it more interesting. Just keep the motivation by being able to drive her as long as possible.

After a little soul searching from reading @White Stripe post I decided to drop the 2uz idea. Family is more important than spending endless hours on a project that in reality would take me years to complete with my current schedule.

It’s now going to the local cruiser graveyard to have the rest of the part out completed.

Happy 2020!

537822F1-26FC-4AF3-9DC9-D229E443A495.jpeg

E784D9CC-A4F3-4CA2-8890-65B318D55CA3.jpeg

I am sure you made the best decision for your situation. Have fun with what you have.

After a little soul searching from reading @White Stripe post I decided to drop the 2uz idea. Family is more important than spending endless hours on a project that in reality would take me years to complete with my current schedule.

It’s now going to the local cruiser graveyard to have the rest of the part out completed.

Happy 2020!

View attachment 2170523

View attachment 2170524
Soul searching be darned! I stripped the timing gear in my 2F so I’m now down the rabbit hole of a 2uz. I had a thread going in the hardcore section but I think I’m going to keep this one updated since I’m not aiming for the hardcore trips anymore.
215D0B49-72D5-4EA7-9B6A-DFA960DBF671.jpeg
8ACB9A32-A321-49DB-B426-942C61C473E4.jpeg
1992DAA2-0797-459E-9849-3A218A9088CB.jpeg
C23D039C-E393-436C-9DBE-8A5BD47B0805.jpeg

Wow that just fractured right off. We’re you applying a high lateral load or an impact?
Galvanic corrosion plus tapping with a wood block side to side. Honestly I thought I was being pretty gentle until I realized it was starting to split.

Galvanic corrosion plus tapping with a wood block side to side. Honestly I thought I was being pretty gentle until I realized it was starting to split.
Sounds like it had an existing flaw (crack) that had grown over time

Sounds like it had an existing flaw (crack) that had grown over time
Possibly. I picked up a new starter today and finished the rest of my wiring harness install.

Here’s the list of remaining items until I can drive:
-build driveshafts
-transmission tunnel modifications and new cover
-fuel pump
-swap to an 80 series transfer case output to change to a cable speedometer
-intake housing
-power steering hoses
-oil filter hoses for remote oil filter
-accelerator pedal
-new radiator?
-figure our AC

6996332E-1B50-49AD-B390-24656251D04B.jpeg

Possibly. I picked up a new starter today and finished the rest of my wiring harness install.

Here’s the list of remaining items until I can drive:
-build driveshafts
-transmission tunnel modifications and new cover
-fuel pump
-swap to an 80 series transfer case output to change to a cable speedometer
-intake housing
-power steering hoses
-oil filter hoses for remote oil filter
-accelerator pedal
-new radiator?
-figure our AC

View attachment 2820509
Sounds like a weekend’s work 😉

I worked on the transmission/transfer case shifter linkage locations tonight. I really wanted to use the 100 series shifter cover but I realized it didn’t really fit the look of a more simplistic 40 interior. Also, if I wanted to keep it I needed to rework all of the linkages. I’ll come up with something similar to the @Delta VS console they make for the 80 series (shown below)
7A9DACDB-7C70-4941-9FB1-D71410442A1D.jpeg
9B968EA1-C303-46F1-A199-508043990469.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom