1984 Toyota Landcruiser Runs then stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1984 Toyota landcruiser wagon 60 series 2h diesel. Starts no worries, runs for abit than stops. Does this driving, drives for abit then engine cuts out. No battery light or the filter light comes on. Single mum with kids needing my vehicle running. Any help or hints or tips please. Thanks Joanne

My first thought is the alternator regulator,if that is on its way out or already out then this mite happen.i do not know where your regulator is on your alternator but giving them a little tap on them sometimes gets them working again.It sounds like you battery is not getting charged imo.Hopefully someone mite chime in and have a better idea.

My first thought is the alternator regulator,if that is on its way out or already out then this mite happen.i do not know where your regulator is on your alternator but giving them a little tap on them sometimes gets them working again.It sounds like you battery is not getting charged imo.Hopefully someone mite chime in and have a better idea.
OK thanks,Jas. I will look at the workshop manual. Thank you

Reactions: jas
Could be a diesel flow problem. Dirty filter. Problematic pump etc

OK thanks,Jas. I will look at the workshop manual. Thank you
The thing is with the regulator - eventually your battery will die,it won`t be getting charge.If the battery is not losing charge at all and as you say keeps on starting all the time,it mite be as `Seth S said.

First question. Manual or automatic?
If manual then the EDIC motor is activated for a short time which cuts out the injection pump.
If automatic then your butterfly intake manifold is shut due to a vacuum issue.

Report back and we will find the cause hopefully.

If you can make it,go to an auto electrician and get them to check your battery and alternator with there multimeter.They should do it for free.If it is fine at least that is out of the way,and can focus more on other things.

First question. Manual or automatic?
If manual then the EDIC motor is activated for a short time which cuts out the injection pump.
If automatic then your butterfly intake manifold is shut due to a vacuum issue.

Report back and we will find the cause hopefully.
It's a manual

Can you restart direct after cutout ?
Then it might be a dodgy oil pressure sensor wire.
Sensor sits above the starter motor..

sounds like replacing the fuel filter would be a solid low cost place to

start , since we know u get some fuel , then it starves out ?

the gets more and can run again .......

i would also make sure you one way vented oem gas cap is not stuck

valve shut ?

another low cost parts replacement for good measure

- what point's to electrical a issue here ?

sound more basic / fundamental ..........

1576915139585.png

I don't think it's your alternator. Once a 2H is started, you could remove the alternator altogether and it would still run.
There is an oil pressure switch that shuts the EDIC off, mentioned by SVED above. How's the oil pressure level on the dash gauge?

Also how does it shut down? Does it stop dead? Or sputter and cough? How long does it run before it shuts down?

It might be worthwhile to post this in the Diesel Forum, 2H's can be found in a bunch of different Landcruisers, and there are a bunch of knowledgable people in that forum who may not be in this one much...

Hi, Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Is the filter old any fuel leaks? Mike

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my 3b in a 70...edic .
It would run a while then shut down. Wait a while and it would start up again then repeat.
According to Marv Specter who told me over the phone what it was, they get moisture inside and
the contacts corrode . he was right

A bad ground connection, body to enginemount to battery,can also cause the EDIC relay to flicker and shut of the injection pump.

1984 Toyota landcruiser wagon 60 series 2h diesel. Starts no worries, runs for abit than stops. Does this driving, drives for abit then engine cuts out. No battery light or the filter light comes on. Single mum with kids needing my vehicle running. Any help or hints or tips please. Thanks Joanne
Where are you? Help can hopefully been found close by. Post this same problem in the diesel section. This seems to
be a diesel specific problem. My first inclination is vacuum line leak is triggering the shutoff, but my actual knowledge is
too limited to be helpful. Are you mechanical enough to get in there and work on it a bit?
I’ll run this by a local guy I know and see what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom