Bolt on turbo kit (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s in. Waiting on a new throttle cable and the powdercoat shop to finish the exhaust.

3661087C-0848-4199-B684-05E9C7B602B9.jpeg

Dude,

It's time to clean the rest of the engine bay. Chop, Chop!

I'm patiently waiting for my turbo kit to come, but looking at others, I appreciate the wait. A lot of ppl are doing great things and Joey @ Wits End (@NLXTACY) (sorry Im new to this and dont know how to hyperlink folks) is keeping track of the trial and errors and continuing to fix/upgrade.

Dude,

It's time to clean the rest of the engine bay. Chop, Chop!

My mechanic suggested a bottle of 409 and a toothbrush for an afternoon of fun. Would be too short lived for the effort. This is a trail truck.

My mechanic suggested a bottle of 409 and a toothbrush for an afternoon of fun. Would be too short lived for the effort. This is a trail truck.

So nice to hear someone else say this, it makes me feel better about my dirty rig!

Every time I see Joey’s anodize-and-eat-off-it engine bay I‘m filled with shame and envy. BUT I’d be kicking myself if I wasted days beautifying it then immediately covering it with pond scum and forest pinstriping the following weekend :p

My truck serves one purpose so no point in trying to compare it. It’ll likely never see dirt/mud as long as it’s in my hands. I have my other LX for that 😉

@Corbet

What is the cost of this process and will it negate the need for the heat wrap deal?

Saw this deal on Amazon that I'm thinking about installing in the tranny tunnel area to bring down the temps in the center console. This item has self adhesive on the back so you can stick it anywhere. Perhaps some of us will stick it under the hood, above the factory heat material?

Amazon link

Last edited:
****TURBO KITS UPDATE****

Have some new updates as of this morning. Please read through everything because there is a lot to digest:

• J-pipe rework: I absolutely regret having the shop do the rework because there has been a delay in getting them done. In short, they shop made the protruding flange too wide and so wouldn't fit the donut gaskets that go into the exhaust manifold. The first batch we had a work around so the second batch the issue shouldn't have been repeated. It repeated and I made a stink about it. Shop admitted fault and that it shouldn't have happened so they decided to rework them. I could have/should have just gone with the original rework and just moved on with my life. But no, I had to be a freaking perfectionist and now I'm paying for it in more than one way (more on that later). After talking with the shop this morning now, these won't be ready til end of next week. Its a little crushing since its been almost a month. But at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel finally.

• Turbo units: I JUST got delivered another 6 turbos last night. 6 out of the 20 I was expecting. Ugh. Another four is another week out before they ship to me and two weeks before the following ten...so I'm told. But hey, at least I have 6 more to work with. As of right now, save for the J-pipes and turbos, I have everything else I need to ship out at minimum another 20 orders. I would absolutely send out partial shipments but it sucks to not have the J-pipe because if you at least had that part then you could basically finish everything else while other pieces wait to ship. The J-pipe is the lynch pin piece.

• Shipments: As soon as J-pipes are done, all of Group C will be taken care of and some of Group D. The remainder of Group D and some of Group E will trickle out once the next batches of turbos arrive. This is one of those times that nothing is waiting on me and its utterly nerve wracking.

• CARB certification: It took a week for SEMA to finally get back to me but they finally did yesterday. In hindsight maybe I should have turned the trip around in Oregon for Thanksgiving and just drove back to drop off the truck when I could have because then this freaking nightmare would be DONE! Instead I've been told that my first available time in to complete this process won't be until the first week of January. So I am bumping ALL January plans to make sure that me AND the truck are in the area to make this thing happen. I need this done badly.

• Downpipe blankets: I sent off the small changes to PTP and I'm waiting to hear back on the update and the pricing and estimated timing. After doing a 600 miles trip to Vegas and a 1500 miles trip to Oregon, I am confident now that either ceramic coating or the downpipe blanket is needed. I know some will do both for glorious overkill.

More to talk about but I will do it in the next post.

Last edited:
• Downpipe blankets: I sent off the small changes to PTP and I'm waiting to hear back on the update and the pricing and estimated timing. After doing a 600 miles trip to Vegas and a 1500 miles trip to Oregon, I am confident now that either ceramic coating or the downpipe blanket is needed. I know some will do both for glorious overkill.

More to talk about but I will do it in the next post.

I'm in for glorious overkill.

DP in high temp cerakote

dp.jpg

Last edited:
How much reduction in heat radiation is attained with only the ceramic coating?

Ok time for a clarification for orders and some other bad news (for me, not you)

All of you that have ordered and pre-paid have put a lot of trust into me but you are also doing it because you want cool s***. When you order you secure your spot in line. BUT I have taken it a step further. There is value in your spot in line because you have plunked down cold hard cash for it.

Your order (and order number) have a value outside of its cash value. That order guarantees that you OWN that spot that was ordered on the day you order. Because of the amount of money we are talking I assign a value to the order your turbo comes in at. Because that order has value it means IF you decide to sell your turbo, you have the right to sell it to someone else. That person then assumes your spot in line. Cash changes hands and I'm notified of the change. There is now a new name in that spot. NO one else's spot is affected at all. Nothing else changes. This has now occurred four times. No other orders are affected in anyway.

If an order is cancelled, and there have been quite a few (more on that in a bit), then everyone moves up a slot and everyone wins...well, except for me. No one complains about moving ahead in line. When a ready turbo gets the delivery pushed but a customer. it moves to the next person in line which means...everyone moves ahead in line. No one complains about moving ahead in line.

The problem is when someone sells their turbo that is in queue and the names in line exchange AND someone knows the other person and feels like the new person is figuratively "cutting in line". Yes it could be viewed that way or it could be viewed as your order has value outside of the turbo. You own your place in line and if you so choose you should be able to sell your place in line to someone else without having to go to the back of the line just because you sold your spot in line.

Now some of you may not agree with this and I am sorry you don't agree but frankly its more fair that telling someone that "yes you can absolutely sell your not-in-your-hand-yet-turbo but the guy who buys it goes to the back of the line". Sorry but that makes no sense to me. It would be like buying someone's concert tickets for front row and being told you are being moved to mezzanine because you didn't buy the front row when available.

Hopefully you all understand this and hopefully agree. If all I was doing was just listing everyone's name in a post next to a sequential number and no funds exchanging hands, this would be a different discussion.

Which brings me to the bad news (for me) but good news for those waiting in line...

In the past seven days I have had five turbo refund requests. Guess who doesn't have funds to cover refunding five turbo kits? This guy. Getting a refund, without it going to someone else, is a massive kick in the gut that I have to weather. What you see is your spot moving forward one or more spots. What you don't see is the financial struggle to not only refund five kits, but to now sit on five kits worth of turbo components that is damn near the same price you paid for it. So I'm losing twice on five kits. I know they will eventually move as folks start to scratch that itch but refunding nearly $30k is impossible in the short term and devastating in the long term. But I will do it and I will have to weather it and plan accordingly. It means I will need to adjust all plans I originally had but I will make everyone whole. These folks that want refunds absolutely should get their refund.

I write this all because, to my own detriment, I am continuing to be as TRANSPARENT as I possibly can about everything with this project. I'm still moving forward no matter how painful.

I think I am going to start a layaway program for the remaining turbos because I need to do something to make sure everyone is whole and I keep the doors open.

Thanks all for understanding.

I can loan you $40k at 23% interest :flipoff2:

Ok time for a clarification for orders and some other bad news (for me, not you)

All of you that have ordered and pre-paid have put a lot of trust into me but you are also doing it because you want cool s***. When you order you secure your spot in line. BUT I have taken it a step further. There is value in your spot in line because you have plunked down cold hard cash for it.

Your order (and order number) have a value outside of its cash value. That order guarantees that you OWN that spot that was ordered on the day you order. Because of the amount of money we are talking I assign a value to the order your turbo comes in at. Because that order has value it means IF you decide to sell your turbo, you have the right to sell it to someone else. That person then assumes your spot in line. Cash changes hands and I'm notified of the change. There is now a new name in that spot. NO one else's spot is affected at all. Nothing else changes. This has now occurred four times. No other orders are affected in anyway.

If an order is cancelled, and there have been quite a few (more on that in a bit), then everyone moves up a slot and everyone wins...well, except for me. No one complains about moving ahead in line. When a ready turbo gets the delivery pushed but a customer. it moves to the next person in line which means...everyone moves ahead in line. No one complains about moving ahead in line.

The problem is when someone sells their turbo that is in queue and the names in line exchange AND someone knows the other person and feels like the new person is figuratively "cutting in line". Yes it could be viewed that way or it could be viewed as your order has value outside of the turbo. You own your place in line and if you so choose you should be able to sell your place in line to someone else without having to go to the back of the line just because you sold your spot in line.

Now some of you may not agree with this and I am sorry you don't agree but frankly its more fair that telling someone that "yes you can absolutely sell your not-in-your-hand-yet-turbo but the guy who buys it goes to the back of the line". Sorry but that makes no sense to me. It would be like buying someone's concert tickets for front row and being told you are being moved to mezzanine because you didn't buy the front row when available.

Hopefully you all understand this and hopefully agree. If all I was doing was just listing everyone's name in a post next to a sequential number and no funds exchanging hands, this would be a different discussion.

Which brings me to the bad news (for me) but good news for those waiting in line...

In the past seven days I have had five turbo refund requests. Guess who doesn't have funds to cover refunding five turbo kits? This guy. Getting a refund, without it going to someone else, is a massive kick in the gut that I have to weather. What you see is your spot moving forward one or more spots. What you don't see is the financial struggle to not only refund five kits, but to now sit on five kits worth of turbo components that is damn near the same price you paid for it. So I'm losing twice on five kits. I know they will eventually move as folks start to scratch that itch but refunding nearly $30k is impossible in the short term and devastating in the long term. But I will do it and I will have to weather it and plan accordingly. It means I will need to adjust all plans I originally had but I will make everyone whole. These folks that want refunds absolutely should get their refund.

I write this all because, to my own detriment, I am continuing to be as TRANSPARENT as I possibly can about everything with this project. I'm still moving forward no matter how painful.

I think I am going to start a layaway program for the remaining turbos because I need to do something to make sure everyone is whole and I keep the doors open.

Thanks all for understanding.

You're too nice of a bloke Mr Joey! You should charge a 20% non-refundable deposit.

You can continue to be transparent and a stand up guy, just make it clear on your order pages etc. Most people won't blink an eye at this, and the ones who do are likely the ones who are gonna drop you in it later.

Sucks to have people yank your chain on such a big ticket item when it clearly is a lot of cash for a small business to carry funding for.

Ultimately, if you can't carry a few hits and stop selling turbo kits because of cancelled orders, those cancellations will impact on anyone who wants an awesome piece of turbo goodness into the future.

It would be a shame for this kit to disappear from the market because you're too nice of a guy to a few individuals who don't honour their side of a deal.

You're too nice of a bloke Mr Joey! You should charge a 20% non-refundable deposit.

Maybe but no. Here's why?

• People have given me a lot of money and some of them a LONG time ago in order to make this process a success.
• I can complain all day long that its not my fault I am failed by vendors but its all a result of decisions I made. I could have went Garrett, I could have used the pipe manufacturer in TX, I could have this and I could have that. But at the end of the day its on me.
• I cant in good conscience keep 20% of their money regardless of the reason because I haven't been able to hold up to my part of the delivery bargain. Is it my fault the ICON truck was totalled and pushed everything back 6 months and losing tens of thousands in the process? **** no its not but it was all still a result of my decisions and its definitely not the customer's fault for thinking they would be made whole by now.
• One needed a refund due to totally a truck, not their fault, why keep their money?
One sold the truck before turbo shipped and new owner didn't want it. Not their fault, why keep their money?
Two got tired of waiting and decided to go another direction. Not their fault, why keep their money?
One doesn't give a s*** what the reason is and they just wasn't their money back "right ****ing now". Not their fault, why keep their money?

Had the ICON accident not happened, this would have all been a very different story. So I gotta just roll with it.

Been meaning to ask. What's up with the trickle of turbos from Borg Warner? Just seems like a manufacturer that size would be able to fulfill larger orders.

Been meaning to ask. What's up with the trickle of turbos from Borg Warner? Just seems like a manufacturer that size would be able to fulfill larger orders.

It’s a crazy low turn around unit for them. It’s not popular. Their internal WG units are the movers. Next issue is they go to their main distributors. Those go to fill their dealer orders first. Then I get mine. My quantity isn’t enough to move any needles for anyone involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom