Strange noise front front passenger wheel. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Got home after 15 days on road, Trucks been sitting in driveway for 2 days, took her out this morning and have a strange sound coming from what sounds like front passenger wheel. Sounded like loose wheel or shock. After getting her straight home took apart front front hub expecting to see birfiled clip no longer in place on RCV axle, but it was. Everything looked fine. I combed over every weld, every bushing and body mount. nothing seems wrong or out of place. The only thing I did see was the knuckle were dry as a bone. SO I greased up through inspection port. anyone? I dont dig random knocks or clunks etc.

did you go part time? I've said this before and its worth mentioning again. When I went part time the zerk fitting on the rcv was contacting the with the hub and engaging the free hub to partial lock - making a ratcheting sound. Moved the snap ring to the most inward groove on the rcv and no more clearance problems. check that out

did you go part time? I've said this before and its worth mentioning again. When I went part time the zerk fitting on the rcv was contacting the with the hub and engaging the free hub to partial lock - making a ratcheting sound. Moved the snap ring to the most inward groove on the rcv and no more clearance problems. check that out
I did go part time, but I also installed flat zerks, and my c clip is on innermost. I figured the c clip came off as that what it sounded like. no racheting sound, just sounds like something broke loose only when I hit a pothole. But I cant find anything wheel bearings are still tight, knuckle bolts etc. Nothing to be found. Just very dry knuckle balls, the ozarks have lots of water crossing's. never had this happen before.

When is the noise occuring? Is it constant? Does it occur when axle moves up or down? Does it occur when brakes are applied?

We need more information.

Just very dry knuckle balls

When was the knuckle rebuilt? Shouldn't be "bone dry" if it was packed properly with the correct grease. (Not a clay based grease)

If you're part time, this wouldn't make any noise anyway as nothing in the knuckle is rotating.

Check other areas too. It can be really difficult to pin point where a noise is originating from, particularly if you think it's coming from the opposite side of the truck to where you are sitting.

When is the noise occuring? Is it constant? Does it occur when axle moves up or down? Does it occur when brakes are applied?

We need more information.
it only showed up after taking a side street with minimal potholes everytme passenger front dropped noise showed up, sounded to me like either loose rims( just did 2000 mile roadtrip and ROCKS) loose shock or axle moving maybe. but after looking at everything on creeper with spotlght, and I checked all welds, nothing. So Im stumped.

When was the knuckle rebuilt? Shouldn't be "bone dry" if it was packed properly with the correct grease. (Not a clay based grease)

If you're part time, this wouldn't make any noise anyway as nothing in the knuckle is rotating.

Check other areas too. It can be really difficult to pin point where a noise is originating from, particularly if you think it's coming from the opposite side of the truck to where you are sitting.
your right on pinpointing, I did jack it up pull front tires checked everything including body mounts. then it started pouring rain. SO Im still on the hunt. this is new, never ran into this before.

Noise threads are pretty much all a WAG game but sway bar bushings is mine though you said you checked everything.... except the offending part

You still have the backing plates? Small rock caught in there?

Bought my 80 new. On bumps as you describe - rough alley, repeat potholes on side street where otherwise quiet, I began hearing a noise like you describe. Light throttle or coasting. A heavy part rattle/thump sound.

Turned out it is just the axle shaft with just the right sympathetic frequency bump, rattling the birfield joint. If your knuckle is dry or not filled properly it happens more easily and audibly. It sounds like what you describe - especially since in 2WD, there is no torque on the front axle/joint so it more readily flops. Try filling the knuckle and see if it reduces the sound or eliminates it. Mine still does this today on just the right bump.

Reactions: RFB
Bought my 80 new. On bumps as you describe - rough alley, repeat potholes on side street where otherwise quiet, I began hearing a noise like you describe. Light throttle or coasting. A heavy part rattle/thump sound.

Turned out it is just the axle shaft with just the right sympathetic frequency bump, rattling the birfield joint. If your knuckle is dry or not filled properly it happens more easily and audibly. It sounds like what you describe - especially since in 2WD, there is no torque on the front axle/joint so it more readily flops. Try filling the knuckle and see if it reduces the sound or eliminates it. Mine still does this today on just the right bump.
its what I did hoping your right.

You still have the backing plates? Small rock caught in there?
I do and I checked turns out I did bend one of them back at some point, ozarks is a rocky place. lol

If you hit the cold water with hot axles, you may have drawn the grease into the diff, out of the knuckle.

Sometimes in water crossings the bearings and such get water in them and they should be checked soon after.

I know you do a ton of wheeling and I'm probably preaching to the choir......

If you hit the cold water with hot axles, you may have drawn the grease into the diff, out of the knuckle.

Sometimes in water crossings the bearings and such get water in them and they should be checked soon after.

I know you do a ton of wheeling and I'm probably preaching to the choir......
I always pull apart front and rears and regrease or simply replace all bearings, But didnt even have a chance to do that yet when this strange noise showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom