Headliner Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever swapped the headliner out of a 60??

How difficult was it and how long did it take you?

Swaping interiors out and want to make sure the headliner isn't a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

I have tried with no luck, the headliner material after years gets tough and tears easily.

So from expierence, I would attempt pull a old headliner out and reinstalling it, get a new liner, takes a couple hours to install. Nice to have a bunch of pinch type clamps and spray adhesive on hand.

Good luck

rob

AkWhtbstFj60 said:
Has anyone ever swapped the headliner out of a 60??

How difficult was it and how long did it take you?

Swaping interiors out and want to make sure the headliner isn't a huge pain in the ass.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

I just removed mine. Took a couple of hours but wasn't too bad. I think putting it back up will be the tricky part...

Is there any way someone whos taken the headliner out could put up some pics how how they did it, how its fastened, and how they put it back in? Ive got some nice crumpling on my roof that i could fix with hammer and dolly if i could get the headliner out. Any pics would be awesome.

Matt

i removed mine and it was easy but vcant figure out how to get the weird adhesive off maybe :idea: some one knows how to get it off might have to sand blast it off anyone anypone anyone.?:flamingo: maybe just sand it ?:D :crybaby: :)

I've never done it before but I would imagine taking it out would be the easy part
but putting one back in would require removing the windshield and both rear glass panels which to me doesn't sound easy. My 02.

One of thoses jobs I would contract out to a professional. There are a lot of tricks to gettin it right. Let them do it.

I just removed mine today. Here is the run down for removal. Won’t be installing the new one for awhile.

you will need to pull the door weatherstripping, grab handles, and lights.

there are a ton of small clips at the doors you’ll want to pull and set aside.

I pulled this thing the hard way trying to save it do yourself a favor and just take a razor blade and cut the hell out of it.

you can get replacements for 2-300. Save the metal frames and plastic end clips and door clips.

when you replace it to do it right you’ll have to pull the windshield,dash, rear windows......

Not looking forward to it.

atleast mine will be completely disassembled.

have fun

I'm about to yank mine as well. I'll be following along to hopefully learn some of the aforementioned 'tricks' to getting it right. I've seen it done wrong, and it looks terrible. I know @Aloha Jen has some pictures on her HJ60 thread that might be helpful.

You need to keep track of the order of the metal rods and clips, I labeled them as they were removed. When reinstalled, make sure new headliner lines up with all the pillars.
8A3C5659-B960-4A16-BE42-5CD983F974E4.jpeg
99018C45-16E9-44DE-B816-21A0C6B66FE6.jpeg
CCD489F3-6E8D-4316-9EFF-EC77086B5B31.jpeg
C2B80A0B-C3D2-4DDF-86E8-428819AF9685.jpeg
36743F87-1645-4D9C-80D3-D76B4BFAADDF.jpeg

Used these little clamps to hold the headliner while the contact cement dried up.

Almost needless to say - that looks great. Slowly and carefully would be the only way to do that job.

Reinstalling a used headliner is not easy. If you're spending the time to dig in that deeply, you might want to consider going Jen's route and installing new. The hardest part is slowly scraping the old headliner off around the windows and doors. Pulling on it will rip off the rubber backing on the fabric and greatly reduce it strength and longevity. I washed a removed headliner on gentle cycle in a washing machine and it came out remarkably clean.

Start at Post #28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom