Slightly tough to turn steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2000 lc’s steering wheel requires more effort to turn than my 2006. Maybe 40% more. Ive never changed the power steering fluid as the pump isnt whining but im curious if this procedure would help it to turn easier.

What im trying to say is that its almost uncomfortable to drive because the wheel is tough to turn. Is my problem likely the rack or could it be from old fluid?

Eat your Wheaties.

Check fluid level is correct first. Then look for leaks at pump, output line, and rack. Next pull PS reservoir and clean, then give it a flush with fresh ATF and top off to correct level... Is rack making any racket (pun intended), such as grinding, creaking, etc?

Reactions: jLB
Thats fair!

No the rack has never made noise. The vehicle has never leaked a drop of anything that i can recall so i don’t suspicion the level will be low.

The vehicle has never leaked a drop of anything
It will. It’s a Land Cruiser - they all mark their territory sooner or later...

My alignment isnt the cause. It tracks perfectly and wears tires evenly.

oh well i hoped for substantive response to motivate me to change the fluid. maybe i’ll attempt to change it and report my results and go from there.

I did a fluid exchange recently and found that my screen was mostly clogged which was preventing fluid from flowing properly. Shows up even more when it gets colder. You may be able to clean the built-in screen, but if not this is what I had to do to restore operation.
It is important to change the fluid regularly to preserve the rack. If it's gunked up enough, it's possible the valve in the rack is sticking and if that's the case switching to synthetic ATF may help clean it out a bit, tho the dislodged goo will then flow through your reservoir and potentially clog the screen, so this may be a process of clean out, add new fluid, check after a couple of drives and possibly exchange fluid a second time if needed or clean filter again.

oh well i hoped for substantive response to motivate me to change the fluid
Unclear what you mean by that, but I and others have taken the time to tell you what your first steps probably should be to work towards resolving the issue. Were you expecting hundreds of replies or something? None of us have driven your vehicle or inspected it, and your description is extraordinarily vague. You either follow our suggestions or you don’t and just eat more Wheaties and live with it. If popping the cap to check the fluid level or inspecting for leaks are too troublesome for you, then we’re all wasting our time.

It's also worth noting that the later model truck has VGRS, and the earlier one doesn't.

Doesn't mean there's not something to be fixed on the one, but they should feel slightly different even when operating perfectly.

It's also worth noting that the later model truck has VGRS, and the earlier one doesn't.

Doesn't mean there's not something to be fixed on the one, but they should feel slightly different even when operating perfectly.

(If they're both LCs, as indicated in his signature, I don't believe an 06 LC would have VGRS. It is my understanding that VGRS is 03+ LX only)

Last edited:
My alignment isnt the cause. It tracks perfectly and wears tires evenly.

oh well i hoped for substantive response to motivate me to change the fluid. maybe i’ll attempt to change it and report my results and go from there.

Caster doesn't affect tire wear directly. Also, tracking in a straight line is a direct result of high positive caster. Your steering feel will be heavier. Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I completed the project with a hose and the 3 brass fittings. Used 1.5 qts of synthetic atf to get clear red. Had to use a flashlight to get the level just right afterwards.
I think i can feel improvement. Will get a better feel after tomorrow. Over and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom