Just need to share my frustration with new rotor install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
In the past few days I've been replacing the rotors and pads with the Power Stop Z36 Truck & Tow brake kit (K4117-36). The fronts were easy peezy mac 'n cheezy. However, after doing the rear and drove the Cruiser out of the garage to do the break-in procedure, I heard a rubbing noise from the rear on both sides. So I put the Cruiser back in the garage and pulled of the wheels. I learned the parking brake was rubbing against the rotor. I tightened the brake adjuster as "pulled-in" as possible, and the rubbing noise remained the same.

My wife and son came to visit while I was doing this. I told her something wasn't right. She said, "Is there a way you can compare the old and new rotors side-by-side?" That's a big give-away, right? So I put the old rotors back on with the new pads, turned the axle by hand, and voila - the rubbing noise was 90% eliminated.

So it's frustrating to have put in way too much time for something that should be an easy job. Tomorrow I'll call Power Stop to see what's going on. At least since I ordered these via Amazon, I have 2 more days to return them. No idea if I can just return the rear ones. Huge bummer. We are leaving on a big trip on Friday and I really wanted new brakes on all wheels.

Do you have an accurate way to measure the inner diameter of the parking brake drum portion, on both rotors (new and old)? A dial caliper is the best method, if you have one.

Do you have an accurate way to measure the inner diameter of the parking brake drum portion, on both rotors (new and old)? A dial caliper is the best method, if you have one.

Not at all. But that's a great idea.

I haven’t done brake job on LC200, but on sequoia. I think you need to adjust the parking brake. Is there a brake shoe for parking brake? You should reset the adjustment when installing new rotor. After new rotor installed, pull the parking brake and let the self-adjust work it out.

I haven’t done brake job on LC200, but on sequoia. I think you need to adjust the parking brake. Is there a brake shoe for parking brake? You should reset the adjustment when installing new rotor. After new rotor installed, pull the parking brake and let the self-adjust work it out.
Yes, both rear wheels have brake shoes for parking brakes. I attempted to reset these. Maybe I did not do them correctly? I'll try again tomorrow.

Yes, both rear wheels have brake shoes for parking brakes. I attempted to reset these. Maybe I did not do them correctly? I'll try again tomorrow.
Also make sure that tiny wire retainer isn't touching the rotor, all of mine when I originally installed would have touched, had to sort of bend them away and into a better position.

Also make sure that tiny wire retainer isn't touching the rotor, all of mine when I originally installed would have touched, had to sort of bend them away and into a better position.

Are you referring to the hold down spring? The round spring on each of the shoes?

reset = adjust the adjuster back to the shortest length (prior expanding).

7CD1E219-DC81-4569-A2AC-3A1FDA76B3D9.jpeg

since it’s self adjust, a few pull on the parking brake will adjust the brake shoe properly to match the new rotor.

reset = adjust the adjuster back to the shortest length (prior expanding).

since it’s self adjust, a few pull on the parking brake will adjust the brake shoe properly to match the new rotor.

I did give the handbrake a few ups and downs, but the rubbing still persisted.

Are you referring to the hold down spring? The round spring on each of the shoes?
The things at the bottom of this photo, not sure what they are called.

11745018.jpg

@Mogwai Thank you for the fast responses!

Yes, I made the wires/clips and their edges were not near the rotor. I made sure the clips were installed where there was only one "grabbing arm" near the rotor and the open arms were away.

And yes on the adjuster - the photo helped me understand more. I moved it to the setting where the brake shoes were as close as possible.

My hunch is the inside area of the rear rotor by Power Stop is not machined where the parking shoes can easily clear the rotor.

I put both wheels off the ground and turned the rotors by hand. The rubbing sound is from the parking shoes. I only attempted this on one wheel with both the new and old rotor - my time in the garage expired. I need to try this with the other wheel but I think the result will be the same.

I recently replaced the rear rotors on my truck, along with pads. I used Centric rotors. On the first test-drive, the truck had some pretty horrible scratching and grinding noise.

At first I thought it was the parking brake. Applying the parking brake even changed the noise slightly. However, long story short, the noise was coming from the inside of the rotor rubbing on the dust shield. Specifically, it was outside lip of the rotor part where the parking brake shoes touch the rotor. The new rotors were a hair deeper than the rotors I took off.

I fixed it with a couple whacks with a hammer to bend the dust shield away from the rotor by a hair.

@Hoosier Daddy thank you! I’ll try this tomorrow. I really hope this is the solution. My sound is like when brake pads don’t disengage from the rotor which is why I initially concluded it’s the parking shoes.

And your old parking shoes fit inside the new rotors without rubbing?

These do use shoes for the parking brake but do not self adjust. Since they are only used for parking they barely wear and really don’t need adjusting once they are set correctly.

These do use shoes for the parking brake but do not self adjust. Since they are only used for parking they barely wear and really don’t need adjusting once they are set correctly.

@bloc thanks again for helping me in this maintenance project!

I read on an older thread if we don’t install new parking shoes when replacing the rotors, then the new rotors won’t fit right. This doesn’t make sense but just wanting to find the solution. Do I need new parking shoes? Is it possible the new rotors aren’t the correct fit if they are rubbing over the old shoes?

@bloc thanks again for helping me in this maintenance project!

I read on an older thread if we don’t install new parking shoes when replacing the rotors, then the new rotors won’t fit right. This doesn’t make sense but just wanting to find the solution. Do I need new parking shoes? Is it possible the new rotors aren’t the correct fit if they are rubbing over the old shoes?

Unlike disk brake pads, the inner diameter of the parking brake drums determine the radius of a pad worn to those drums. Say, hypothetically, your drums have worn to be a half inch larger diameter than new. Pads in those drums would be worn to a larger radius, and if you put them into a new smaller diameter drum, only the ends would touch, not the center of the shoe.

Now your drums won't wear a half inch, probably nothing more than a milimeter or two, but the same concept applies. Like many things in the factory service manual the *BEST* way to do it is to replace the drum and shoes as a set. When I did mine though, I just threw in new rotors/drums and went full OCD on adjusting the parking brake as well as possible. To attain the specifications toyota asked for ("click" adjustment on the wheels in the drums, clicks at the handle with 45# pulling force, etc) they did drag a slight amount, but it wasn't enough to impact mileage or make much heat. It was likely the very ends of my "too large" shoes wearing in. Within a few miles there was no dragging and now 30K miles later things are still working great.

@Hoosier Daddy thank you! I’ll try this tomorrow. I really hope this is the solution. My sound is like when brake pads don’t disengage from the rotor which is why I initially concluded it’s the parking shoes.

And your old parking shoes fit inside the new rotors without rubbing?

Yes, they fit just fine. For me the issue had no actual relation to the parking brake apparatus. It was simply a matter of the rotor's drum portion extending inward (toward the differential) a tiny bit too far.

I haven't researched this much, but I've seen a couple informal references on the net that suggest Powerstop rotors and Centric rotors could be the same. So, yeah, maybe this is what is happening to you.

Also, I'm thinking that if you can slip the rotor on and off easily, then the parking brake isn't binding. If it were binding that bad, it seems to me like you wouldn't be able to get the new rotor on in the first place. But I'm no expert with parking brakes, so take all that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Post 17 of this thread has an attachment with the handbrake adjustment procedure.

I replaced the parking shoes and the related springs, adjusters, etc. The rubbing sound is gone! Also, the backing plates were also causing some of the sound but not all of it. Looks like when I removed the tires it bent the plates.

Thanks to @John E Davies @bloc @Hoosier Daddy for guiding me to install new parking shoes and bang on the backing plate.

After I put on the new parking shoes, and set the parking pads correctly (from the rear adjuster), the majority of the rubbing sounds were gone. I banged on the backing plates till most of that sound was gone. Yep, there is a small backing-plate-rub sound but at this point I've moved on in preparation for our big drive this Friday. The remaining sound can't be heard unless the windows are down and I'm driving slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom