HELP : 240V home outlet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
marcstpierrephotography.com
Hello :

Am Needing HELP with Home Electricity :

How easy or how complicated will it be to wire for & install a 240V outlet (adjacent to our home's garage fusebox - intended for that of a 240V, 15A air compressor) ??

Thanks !!
~Marc

Its no harder than hooking up 115V.
I dont have any links handy but there are several you tubes on the subject.
Make sure the outlet you use is the same pattern as your plug.
Bobmo

Two hots and a ground, size the wires appropriately, and connect to an appropriately sized breaker.

Here is a pic inside my breaker panel.
Like PAToyota said 2 hots and a ground
Bobmo

220 wiring.JPG

While you're using YouTube to learn how to do some electrical work browse some arc flash incidents.

240V is not inherently that much more complicated than 120, but it'll kill you deader...

Here is a pic inside my breaker panel.
Like PAToyota said 2 hots and a ground
Bobmo

Only comment I'd make is that you should mark the white wires as hot in some way so that they aren't confused for neutrals - typically the ends of the white wires in a 240V circuit are marked black or red.

Only comment I'd make is that you should mark the white wires as hot in some way so that they aren't confused for neutrals - typically the ends of the white wires in a 240V circuit are marked black or red.

This is a fact.

In a roundabout way they SHALL be marked as to not confuse them as a neutral.

Is that a NEC reg or something? With the box open, you can see clear as day that it's connected to a breaker, not the neutral bar, and on the other end it'll be hooked up to a 240v outlet that can't be mistaken either.

Is that a NEC reg or something? With the box open, you can see clear as day that it's connected to a breaker, not the neutral bar, and on the other end it'll be hooked up to a 240v outlet that can't be mistaken either.

Yes, NEC code issue.

Articles 200.4 and 200.7 touch on the neutral conductor, specifically the identification of.

Art. 200.7(C) states,
The use of insulation that is white or gray or that has three continuous stripes for other than a grounded conductor for circuits of 50 volts or more shall be permitted only as in (1) or (2)
(1) if part of the cable assembly has the insulation permanently re identified to indicate its use as an ungrounded conductor by marking tape, painting, or other effective means at its termination and each location where the conductor is visible and accessible.
(2) a flexible cord.........this commentary does not pertain to our discussion above, only pertains to flexible cord assemblies.

Yep.
Think of the next homeowner who takes the 240 outlet out for no good reason and then the next homeowner who goes to put something else on the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom