JP147's HJ47 Troopcarrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back to the Vic alps again, this time in winter

full

for another 40 series meeting

full

full

full

Super cool rig mate. I know it's awile back but what did ya think of the border track and how long did it take? Pretty keen to do it my self. Also, any dramas with the harrop in the front?

Thanks mate.

I have done the border track a few times, always found it easy. Some people have trouble with the sand dunes but I have always been able to idle up them, low tyre pressure is the key. I think I had around 12psi.
Be careful with the bog holes at the end, some can be over roof level when full of water. Test with a stick if unsure, the deep ones can be avoided.

I have had no problems with the Harrop locker. I hope it holds up because I like how it briefly unlocks when changing direction, makes adjusting the line much easier with no power steering.

I pulled it out on the weekend since I am rebuilding the whole axle. Has some rust on it but is working fine.

The front axle needed some work so I brought it into the shed

full

full

Stripped down

full

The front cover was dented and the drain plug was damaged to I welded on some protection

full

full

Old gears from the rear diff now in the front, they can run on the fresh side of the teeth

full

Chromoly 30 spline

full

Got a parts car, 1984 HJ47 with 5 speed conversion. H55F from a HJ60 Land Cruiser.

The 2H engine was recently rebuilt but I pulled it apart and wasn't happy with it so that will be for spare parts when I rebuild mine.

Put some 3:1 low range gears and a breather fitting in the 5 speed. This will go in the car later on when I get the time.

Last edited:
Got the heater working with pieces from 3 different heater boxes and got a new heater tap

New vinyl and foam on the drivers seat

60 series hand brake installed on rear axle, I also replaced the whole rear axle housing because the one from the parts car was in much better condition and had the mounts already welded to it.

Old and new:

I wanted to make inflating and deflating tyres a bit quicker and easier so I set up this air system.

Air compressor mounted out of the way under the bed

Fills an air tank under the floor. Compressor cuts out at 120psi and back in at 90psi

New switch panel

Gauges for tank pressure and tyre pressure. The taps are for inflate, deflate and to close of front or rear if different pressures are needed

4 Nitto air fittings on the body

4 hoses to connect to the tyres when changing pressure

Deflating from 40psi to 10psi takes under 2 minutes. 10psi back to 40 takes around 2 minutes 30 seconds.

Reactions: flx
4 speed out. Was a bit old and tired but still worked well.

Old Aisin Clutch, possibly still the original. There was lots of material left and it worked well but the spigot bearing and release bearing were noisy.

New heavy duty clutch with Aisin friction disc.

H55F 5 speed in (with the 3:1 transfer gears)

Floor panel modified for new gear stick location

5 speed gear knob

I cut the bottom off the original 4 speed stick and welded on a 5 speed gear stick base. This gives a good length of gear stick and is in a similar position to how it was with the 4 speed.

Mate what an awesome troopy! I love your mods. Super practical, no frills! How do you rate the 5 speed over the 4??

Mate what an awesome troopy! I love your mods. Super practical, no frills! How do you rate the 5 speed over the 4??

Thanks mate.
The 5 speed is pretty good. The 4 speed was getting tired anyway so rather than rebuild it I got a rebuilt 5 speed.
At first I didn't like the way it felt to change gears but with the longer gearstick from the 4 speed it feels good.
The only benefit over the 4 speed is the noise. The lower RPM makes it a lot quieter driving on the highway which is good for me because I drive long distances.
But the 4 speed was fine for years and if I didn't do a lot of long distance traveling there would be no point in changing it.

New set of tyres to replace the old Dunlops.
I decided to try some Bridgestone Duelers. The Last set of Dunlops lasted only 30,000km. The Bridgestones have a less aggressive tread pattern so I will use them for summer and general driving and keep a good set of Dunlops for muddy trips. And since there are only 2 different tyres readily available in this size, I may as well try both and compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom