ARB vs eHarrop vs TJM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at installing a set of lockers on my Matilda. But I'm going over pros and cons back n forth.

TJM unfortunately I am dropping from my short list due to the fact that I cannot find a distributor in Canada. However I ran 4 sets of ARB on various Rovers from Series 2 to Range Rover classics . The older ARB in my opinion offered more reliability. The last set in a purpose built off roader failed and is was more of a crack that developed rendering the entire unit scrap..

Now I look at the Eaton's (Harrops) electric and love the simplicity but lets face it, the disengagement while moving back n forth is very worrisome not to mention the fact that it needs to unbind to unlock , which is critical.

Matlida is not a full time off roading machine but she will see her fair share of mud rocks and climbs :) However I grave reliability so on one hand I have a great locker that needs periodic full servicing (ARB) or a locker (eHarrop) that has quirks but super simple and reliable.

Opinions , ideas or rants ..

Thanks

My arbs have been trouble free since 2010. Stronger then oem. No idea on harrop or tjm. I agree on the locking unlocking of the harrop. I would do arb again for sure

Autolocker. If 'simplicity and reliability' are your main requirements they do that the best and are significantly less expensive to boot. There are some drawbacks associated with them but they are massively over stated, especially in an 80 which is essentially the ideal platform for one. The wheelbase length and full time 4wd make it essentially unnoticeable in normal driving and will always lock up when you need it.

If you have to have selectable though, harrop is the clear choice. I don't personally have any first hand experience with them but everything I have read leads me to believe the 'disengagement issue' is entirely overblown.

I have installed six sets of Harrops now in six different Cruisers. Wheeled every one of those trucks, zero issues for me.

In fact I like how fast they are in and out.

Cheers

Agree with @Bludozer on all of it. I'd go autolocker in the rear and Harrop up front. If $$ is absolutely no object, then dual Harrops. My truck had one of the first Harropp in a 80 series in the U.S. and the whole engage/disengagement bull**** is just that. Never an issue with it and I wouldn't even consider an air locker for my 80 now that the Harrops are out. Nothing wrong with an ARB, but the E locker is king in my book.

I’ve had ARB’s & if I do end up doing a locker in the Tundra, I hope Harrop has a 10.5”.

I hear of that issue with Harrops, but nobody seems to have a clear instance that I’ve read.

Maybe I need to look in the “hardcore corner” more :meh:

ARB! The Discovery in my avatar was modded as far as you could go for use in competition with ARB in the front and the rear. I used it to compete many years back and did really well, then I would leave the gig, jet wash her off and drive back home. ARB for me were incredibly reliable and the in/out speed which is needed in timed comps was there every time, and to boot you get your on board compressor. Most faults are due to poor installation technique, so find a good installer, and remember the ARB units have been around for years, any weaknesses the original units had have been ironed out such as leaking seals.

My 80 has the OE offering and they have been mega reliable until the front recently stopped engaging, but not bad considering it has packed up after 25 years, is that an option although that would depend on availability?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Not what I would call bs, from what I've read, IF you own a manual...

@graymudder - if Matilda has an Auto, you should be golden with Eatons.
Being in NB, auto lockers suck on ice

Last edited:
How many manual 80 series are out there?

Perhaps the OP might want to get the info from the UK? I would say probably 90% are manual, and plenty of modders out there.

regards

Dave

I have Harrop front and rear elockers on my 5 speed manual HDJ80. No complaints here. Never experienced any locking/unlocking issues. Just switch it on and go.

This is worth a watch

Harrop Eatons.

HerEs one piece OF ADVICE. and I have factory e lockers, but ARB or anything from 10 yrs ago isnt a good bench mark. Because anything made a decade ago coming out of ARB or Nitro or others is now probably made cheaper or in another country. Keep that in mind. ARB lockers also require your air is working and if its not No locker . just my 2 copper plated zinc discs.

Last edited:
I've run OEM E-Lockers and ARB's for selectable lockers in 80's and other cruisers. The only locker issues I've ever had were with OEM lockers, and basically just because the actuator electric motor crapped out. By far the biggest issues with ARB's is installation. The only issue with ARB's I had was on an 80 I bought that had them installed. The carrier bolts backed loose and allowed the locker to move and pinch the oring. tightend, new o-rings and good as new. Again, installation issue.

ARB's support is awesome. They sent me a compression ferrule free of charge after I accidentally stepped on the airline and broke it. This is on my BJ74 which has has these lockers in it for 25+ years that I didn't buy.

I would like to try the Harrop if I need another locker on another rig, but the disengaging seems more like an annoyance rather than a major problem. Not sure if shock loads would be an issue in that situation or not. Sounds like it's more of an issue on a manual.

Reactions: RFB
I have run ARB’s, OEM’s and Harrops. The ARB’s and Harrop’s I have run under my Cummins 5 speed manual 80. I did have numerous leak issues with my ARB’s and did manages to tear air lines too frequently. I am sure better routing of the airlines could reduce the snags, but the routing of wires will always in my opinion be easier to keep out of the way than an airline.

I haven’t had any lock/unlock issue with my Harrops and I regularly lock/unlock them when fully loaded climbing steep terrain.

I really like the instantaneous engagement of both the Harrops and ARB’s. The oem lockers are great when maintained correctly and working, but are slower to engage.

Thank you, just to help my Matilda is a 40th anniversary Auto LC 1997 with the 1FZ-FE great machine. I ran ARB on manual Range Rovers, but yes the older ARB IMOH are more reliable..

I think with the Harrops I would need to increase my crawl ratio, in order to keep a constant low enough speed with plenty of torque. Otherwise the stop n go with some roll back of the vehicle while climbing , might cause grief in unlocking. I am considering the E lockers but I need to handle my crawl as well And no a Lincoln locker is not in the works :) but thanks for the thought.

I do love the ARBs but I will let my CFO decide ;)

Too bad that Marlin Crawler cannot be retro fitted on an LC without extensive modding. BTW great group.. very helpful comments.

Allow me to qualify my statement about the Marlin Crawler Toybox. I do not see an installation for a LC Model 80,, :-(

Last summer was my second after installing Harrop in the rear. I've never noticed any of the locking unlocking nonsense. It works awesome and I couldn't be happier with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom