What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Door stops installed
20191102_155734.jpg

Threw the doors on to go wheeling on Saturday. Almost time to throw the roof back on.

View attachment 2125277
That photo with the LC and buggy brought back a memory.

There was a group I used to go buggying with and we went to Glamis dunes on "T"day.

My buggy wasn't the fastest so I was always the last in line.

We headed out and I was doing my best to keep up when I noticed a red FJ40 with sand tires on my tail.

The dunes at Glamis are big and the sand is like powder and every where the group went that Toy stayed right with us.

When we finely came back into camp it turned out the Land Cruiser guy was one of the group I hadn't met yet.

He would pull a 25' Air Stream from Riverside Ca. a couple hundred miles to Glamis pop the street tires off and sand tires on then run the dunes and when it was time to go home change back to street tires and drag the trailer back to Riverside.

The LC was a stock 69 about two years old at the time.

I never was around any other Land Cruisers except that 69 so about two and a half years later when I came across the one I still have the memory of how that one performed probably influenced my purchase.

Went to take my little girl out for her morning walk in the desert wash when the lower radiator hose sprung a leak. Dam hoses should last longer than 25 years LOL. So while waiting for hoses to be delivered to store by runner I did a valve adjustment then vacuumed out the inside. The worst part was my wife told me last week that my POS smells like antifreeze leaking. I looked and no leaks. So today I had to listen to her tell me how she was right. :bang::bang:
JP
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG

Went to take my little girl out for her morning walk in the desert wash when the lower radiator hose sprung a leak. Dam hoses should last longer than 25 years LOL. So while waiting for hoses to be delivered to store by runner I did a valve adjustment then vacuumed out the inside. The worst part was my wife told me last week that my POS smells like antifreeze leaking. I looked and no leaks. So today I had to listen to her tell me how she was right. :bang::bang:
JP
View attachment 2125580View attachment 2125581
All my major hoses are original, Toyota stamps the date on them.

That photo with the LC and buggy brought back a memory.

There was a group I used to go buggying with and we went to Glamis dunes on "T"day.
My uncle used to be part of the "Looney Duners" in SoCal back in the 70's. I remember being little (about 6 or 7) and cold AF on Thanksgiving morning in Glamis!

JP
View attachment 2125580View attachment 2125581
25 years you say... dang, I guess it’ll be time to replace the lower hose again soon. The upper is only a couple years old, but I replaced the lower in ‘92-93.

My uncle used to be part of the "Looney Duners" in SoCal back in the 70's. I remember being little (about 6 or 7) and cold AF on Thanksgiving morning in Glamis!
Thanks Giving at Glamis was a regular thing but I don't remember it being that cold.
Of course we drank a lot of anti freeze.

One time some someone got the bright idea of going out in August so some of us less smart ones went with him.
Only stayed one night.

First day I don't remember what the others did but my wife and I spent it in a dug out spot under our truck then a few hours after sundown we all buggied for a few hours then all agreed to catch a couple hours sleep and come morning get out of there.

My dad talked about training in that part of the desert during WW2.
I guess back in the 40's that one little gas station was there.

I tried to talk him into going with me one time and his reply was "I crawled across that %^&* desert for nearly six months and have no desire to go back there."

Where'd you get the stock springs? How many inches from ground to bottom of running board?

@LasCrucer, the OEM (Mitsubishi) springs were on Craigslist. The average height is 18" to the bottom of the running board. It might be more because the truck is sitting on about 4" of mulch. I have three 235/75/R15 tires and a 215/75/R15 installed.

Huh? My '78 has the original springs and is 29" from the ground, with 30" BFGs on 15" rims. My '77 has a 4" shackle reverse lift and is 33" from the ground with 33" BFGs.
CORRECTION 19, not 29, and 23, not 33 (brain fart!)

Last edited:
Wired up original interior lights. Used a led bulb in one to see how bright. I’ll probably go back to stock or amber/yellow bulb. Just have to finish running wires

A466A963-75C8-4B48-A6E9-329BD80DDE41.jpeg

After waiting for one year, rebuilt my '78 carb. Went from this:
IMG_0604.JPG

to this:
IMG_0601.JPG

A little petrol in the carb and VAVOOM, back in business, Baby!
Here's a shot of what took me a year to finish:
100_0814.JPG

All my Landcruiser parts now have a place of their own - woohoo!

Put in a new battery.
541F5D53-CCB3-4FBC-93D2-679197630E3D.jpeg

Worked on the FJ40 wiring and then cleaned up the shop (3,575sf) and got some aircraft parts ready for shipment. Got my shop heating system checked and ready for this cold front coming in.

Went out in my shop today to clean and straighten and do a general inspection of the Toy.
Popped the hood to check things and the reservoir to the rear brakes was low.
Crawled under the back and sure enough the front cylinder on left rear was leaking.
Pulled the cylinder and it was gummed up inside with some scoring on the rubber cup.
I knew I had some cups stashed some where and was ready for a long search but found a half dozen in the first drawer I looked in and one of them was the right size.
Was going to just buy all new until I priced them and was quoted $40 shipping.
The cylinders don't have a lot of miles on them and the outside seals look in very good shape so am going to just go to my friendly NAPA store and get all new cups then clean all the slave cylinders and see how it works out.
Got the Toy on stands with wheels and drums off just waiting for tomorrow.
Never did get any cleaning or straightening done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom