Auxilary heaters for camping in cold weather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I know they make them. My buddy has a nice one he has but its in his Sprinter van. Has anyone put an extra heater in the rig that can run off a second battery or something similar. I don't really want to do a space heater. Just curious if anyone has attempted to put something like this in their 60? Blankets do help but a nice warm interior in the morning without turning the rig on would be pretty sweet.

I just bought an Espar diesel fueled heater for my DD car. Not inexpensive. My is the "W" style which heats the coolant (water) with the motor off. They also make air heating versions which maybe is what you are familiar with. There's videos all over the Tube - Van Life and such.

So if you went the Espar/Webasto air heater route you'd have to find some where to put it, install, wire, plumb to the fuel system, then ductwork somehow inside. If you go the water heated type you get away from the ductwork, but have to circulate the warm coolant thru the heater core, then blow air over the core with the motor off. Hence why people go the air route for sleeping in their vehicle.

Certainly do-able but not cheap or easy.

You're not going to be able to keep the cruiser warm inside using electricity from any battery. None have enough juice.
The cruiser is completely uninsulated. Whatever heat is inside conducts outside rapidly. I've slept in my cruiser in freezing temperatures many times and it's freezing inside too.

There have been tests (non scientific tests) of using those portable indoors propane heaters inside a large tent in the snow using a carbon monoxide sensor to check safety and the heater (some small generic indoor propane heater) didn't generate ozone. He kept a crack open in the tent and slept in it at night.

Another option is to boil a pot of water before bed and fill quart size stainless steel water bottle with boiling water and wrap it with something insulating to slow down the heat loss and from burning yourself. It won't last until morning but just one water bottle can sure heat up a freezing sleeping bag before you get in it and can keep your feet warm all night if left at the bottom of the bag..

But really for sleeping in the cruiser, the BEST heater is a really good winter rated sleeping bag rated at 0° or lower (since the ratings are lies). Doesn't matter if it's 20° inside the cruiser if you've got a nice warm sleeping bag.
I used to sleep in double bags in the winter

I run heated seats and a 12V blanket for the gf. Then a down throw over that from costco. She has never complained after that. The sprinter vans come set up to add a fuel based heater to their diesel lines. I am not sure how rigging that up would work. maybe best to check the van forums for their heater woes. People living in their vans have thought a lot more about this than us.

How did you do the heated seats? Looking into that as well.

I run heated seats and a 12V blanket for the gf. Then a down throw over that from costco. She has never complained after that. The sprinter vans come set up to add a fuel based heater to their diesel lines. I am not sure how rigging that up would work. maybe best to check the van forums for their heater woes. People living in their vans have thought a lot more about this than us.

Did you do this in your LC? 60s?

I just bought an Espar diesel fueled heater for my DD car. Not inexpensive. My is the "W" style which heats the coolant (water) with the motor off. They also make air heating versions which maybe is what you are familiar with. There's videos all over the Tube - Van Life and such.

So if you went the Espar/Webasto air heater route you'd have to find some where to put it, install, wire, plumb to the fuel system, then ductwork somehow inside. If you go the water heated type you get away from the ductwork, but have to circulate the warm coolant thru the heater core, then blow air over the core with the motor off. Hence why people go the air route for sleeping in their vehicle.

Certainly do-able but not cheap or easy.

No sorry I should have been more clear. 1985 Mercedes diesel - for cold weather starting and instant heat.

Has anyone put an extra heater in the rig that can run off a second battery or something similar.
The only two I know of is this Chinese knock off set up... it runs on diesel....
The other is the propex heater .... it runs on propane..
Both of these set ups do need a 12V power source to run a fan...(think 2nd battery set up)

I have used the propex heater on a tool box for temps on the teens and it has worked great.... I'm looking at permanently adding a propex to the under side of the rig along with a ASME tank...
I don't think the is really any other easier or safer way of heating up these rigs... (if there is....please post it)
As stated above an electric blanket will keep you warm, but the temps inside the rig will be as cold as the outside give or take a few degrees....

Last edited:
How safe is it to run with the propane potential fumes?
The only two I know of is this Chinese knock off set up... it runs on diesel....
Both of these set ups do need a 12V power source to run a fan...(think 2nd battery set up)

I have used the propex heater on a tool box for temps on the teens and it has worked great.... I'm looking at permanently adding a propex to the under side of the rig along with a ASME tank...
I don't think the is really any other easier or safer way of heating up these rigs... (if there is....please post it)
As stated above an electric blanket will keep you warm, but the temps inside the rig will be as cold as the outside give or take a few degrees....

JHE4601,
You have some options when it comes to heated seats:

1. Buy seats that came with seat heaters and install in your car.
2. Disassemble your seats and add seat heater elements.
3. Buy a seat cover with heating elements in it.

I have leather Land Rover discovery LR2 heater seats and they are just as nice as my 4Runner seats. You can pick them up relatively cheap at any junkyard.

I've got one of these. They were discontinued because if your battery dies and the fan stops, the heat exchanger gets damaged.

If you've got a low battery alarm in the vehicle and leave it outside, using some inlet/outlet window vents made of plywood, it should be safe enough. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.
zodi-hot-vent-tent-heater.jpg

How safe is it to run with the propane potential fumes?
with combustion happening outside and about 20" from the tent.. risk is close to zero...
with that said... I always run a CO alarm

Straight from the Russian Federation

tmp-cam-3526298320274788151.jpg

This is a water heater not air. But I can see connecting it to a separate heater core in the back of your 60 with a little muffin fan blowing across. But for all night yeah a second battery is advised.

I had an eberspacher gasoline heater in one of my old Volkswagen’s. It heats the cabin air with the vehicle off or running. Mounts in the engine bay, has its own fuel pump and exhaust plumbing. It uses 12v to power the fuel pump, ignition system and blower fan. It would run for a couple of hours and the battery would still have enough juice to start the car. With a dedicated battery it would be great.

Here’s an updated version of the old BN4 I had: Amazon product ASIN B0068M7S6I

Last edited:
Straight from the Russian Federation

View attachment 2121224

This is a water heater not air. But I can see connecting it to a separate heater core in the back of your 60 with a little muffin fan blowing across. But for all night yeah a second battery is advised.
What's the brand of that heater? I've been checking out the German and Chinese versions of those, but I haven't seen a Russian version yet.

Diesel:hmm: now where am I going to find a diesel Landcruiser... owe wait, this gives me an idea :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom