Lift install halted due to KDSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. I wonder if your 4runner KDSS is a new generation of system? Cause I've definitely read about corrosion on earlier 4runner KDSS valves. To the extent that some suspected that Toyota didn't even offer, or would not fit KDSS to 4runners sold to certain regions that were known to use a lot of salt on the roads.
Hmm, could be. This was sold by Southeast Toyota, out of Asheville, NC

I tried several different bits (including a reverse thread extraction type) with a standard drill, hammer drill and Dremel tool. Due to the hardness of the medal, my inability to get sufficient leverage and a desire not to screw up the softer steel of the hex bolt, I was unable to drill into the snapped-off hex bit. The broken hex bit is slightly countersunk in the KDSS bolt, thus slotting the broken bit with a Dremel would have damaged the KDSS bolt.

The guy at Slee told me that if I was able to loosen the ‘other’ KDSS bolt, which I was, then they would remove the hex bit that Slee snapped off. So, I’ll set up an appointment for next week. Oh well—stuff happens. The good news is that a positive outcome is very likely.

View attachment 1423809

View attachment 1423810
Update:

I took my rig back into Slee, who welded a bolt on top of the frozen hex bolt and was able to release the KDSS valve. They broke several tools trying other options but stayed true to their word and took Very good care of me. They did not charge me for any of this, only the lift.

Picked it up today - now I have an operational KDSS system, a 2”OME lift and also picked up a set of Falken AT3s. Truck looks great. The pic does not do it justice.
IMG_2573.JPG

Shuh-WEET!!

Glad it worked out for you, rig looks great. Also relieved Slee was able to help you, must have been quite a weld job.

For readers in the future looking to install your lift yourself: Do not remove the KDSS caps completely, and loosen them only after the battery has been disconnected and all four wheels are off the ground. Install all your lift components, and then put it back down on the ground. After all the weight has been settled out on your new suspension, then tighten the valves back. Lastly hook up your battery terminal again.

To be clear, they should never just be loosened.
-Turn them **EXACTLY three full turns and no more.**

Three full turns allows the internal liquid to flow freely, which is all you need.
-More than three and you could have 600PSI fluid squirting out and a very expensive mess.

Ignorance showing, but what does the battery have to do with KDSS?

Nothing

I am scheduled to have a Iromnan Foam Cell Pro 2" lift installed tomorrow (October 30th) by a local indy suspension shop. I have already had my 14' LC200 into the Toyota dealership for the recall and asked them to check my KDSS valves / system for correct operation. They attempted to loosen the valves and advised that they were "frozen". Meaning they didn't fix the problem nor did they provide a solution. I contemplated writing Toyota Corporate but figured that wouldn't resolve my problem.

My question is...can my mechanic install the new suspension lift without touching the KDSS valves. It doesn't sound like my mechanic wants to mess with the valves since the Toyota dealership didn't have any luck. I have been spraying the valves with penetrating oil over the past couple of weeks to hopefully assist with the adjustment. Can he perform the installation any way? Thinking I could have the valves adjusted later on by someone that is willing to attempt the procedure?

I am scheduled to have a Iromnan Foam Cell Pro 2" lift installed tomorrow (October 30th) by a local indy suspension shop. I have already had my 14' LC200 into the Toyota dealership for the recall and asked them to check my KDSS valves / system for correct operation. They attempted to loosen the valves and advised that they were "frozen". Meaning they didn't fix the problem nor did they provide a solution. I contemplated writing Toyota Corporate but figured that wouldn't resolve my problem.

My question is...can my mechanic install the new suspension lift without touching the KDSS valves. It doesn't sound like my mechanic wants to mess with the valves since the Toyota dealership didn't have any luck. I have been spraying the valves with penetrating oil over the past couple of weeks to hopefully assist with the adjustment. Can he perform the installation any way? Thinking I could have the valves adjusted later on by someone that is willing to attempt the procedure?
Here's a long thread on the subject. There are others threads too.

I installed my ome lift and it would have been impossible to complete without opening the kdss valves for me.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have installed suspensions on seized KDSS trucks. It takes some trickery and additional steps but it can be done.

Just spoke with my installer and he said he would give it his best and actually try to get the adjustment valves to move. I know he is just concerned about stripping the 5mm hex nuts or even worse messing up the system.

"Cruiser Outfitters" can you send me a couple of notes for the Trickery and or additional steps for the installation? My guy has been doing suspensions and alignments for some 25 years so I am hoping he can use what ever advice is available to complete the task. I just don't want to get the dreaded phone call that he can't do it because of the valves aren't budging.

What do you guys think about this 200 lift installation video on Youtube where they end up welding nuts onto the hex keys to get them loose. I'm installing suspension on a 2017 right now that has 8MM nuts instead of 5mm hex keys for the KDSS valves. They weren't tight at all. The vehicle also only has 30k miles and has never been offroad (rarely even wet).

What do you guys think about this 200 lift installation video on Youtube where they end up welding nuts onto the hex keys to get them loose. I'm installing suspension on a 2017 right now that has 8MM nuts instead of 5mm hex keys for the KDSS valves. They weren't tight at all. The vehicle also only has 30k miles and has never been offroad (rarely even wet).
The change to 8mm bolts from 5mm hex screws must have occurred during the 2017 model year. My '17 has the 5mm hex screws.

Thanks for all of the great solutions and that video link. IMO welding some 10mm nuts on to each valve and covering them in marine grease sounds like a permanent solution. I will
Suggest that option if they don’t open up. I will posit photos and the finally to this lift attempt.

Thanks for all of the great solutions and that video link. IMO welding some 10mm nuts on to each valve and covering them in marine grease sounds like a permanent solution. I will
Suggest that option if they don’t open up. I will posit photos and the finally to this lift attempt.
Welding onto the existing fastener is very iffy IMO. There have been threads about possible damage, it may behoove one to search further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom