How would you "buff this out"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got hit from behind, just barely the other day. How would you guys fix this?

20191028_215506.jpg

rear bumper is plastic right? if so then heat gun while trying to push from inside. if can't push from inside with a tire iron or something. just drill tiny hole in center. insert screw, apply heat and pull. screw might pull out of too hot.

out of curiosity what happened to the other guy?

rear bumper is plastic right? if so then heat gun while trying to push from inside. if can't push from inside with a tire iron or something. just drill tiny hole in center. insert screw, apply heat and pull. screw might pull out of too hot.

He tried to drive around me and didn't do a good job of it.

20190427_002753.jpg

I have done similar things with good results. Only word of caution is sneak up on the temperature; if you get it TOO hot you can start to melt the plastic and it will begin to bubble and look bad. You might want to try using a hair drier first even if you have a heat gun as its going to be a little bit easier to control. If you dont want to do that you can also park it in the sun for a while and see if that gets it warm enough for you to push it out.

Yeah I'd say heat gun is your best bet. Boiling water will cool too quickly after you pour it on to really make the plastic malleable..

I had to do this on mine with a heat gun and it worked great. Just sweep back and forth with the heat while pushing it out with your hand from the inside and it'll pop right out once it gets warm enough

Insurance carrier may try to find a used bumper but you’ll end up with a new one if thats what you want. I dont believe there is an aftermarket part either.

or let his insurance company pay for a new one...
They already paid for a new one. It's not worth properly fixing with a new bumper. I got 260k on the rig and it's my camping/hunting/winter beater.

I just want to get the bumper back to a decent state. This rig is like an ATM on wheels waiting for another drunk to crash into the rear bumper.

They already paid for a new one. It's not worth properly fixing with a new bumper. I got 260k on the rig and it's my camping/hunting/winter beater.

I just want to get the bumper back to a decent state. This rig is like an ATM on wheels waiting for another drunk to crash into the rear bumper.

If you were closer, I would give you my old one... After I put on a Dissent, it just sits in the rafters of my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom